Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianX View Post
Are you talking about Doha UAE??
Doha is in Qatar.

Not far away from the UAE though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 AM

93 posts, read 158,307 times
Los Angeles

Los Angeles Downtown LA Aerial Picture by WasifMalik, on Flickr

Last edited by JMT; 01-17-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 AM

93 posts, read 158,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Doha is in Qatar.

Not far away from the UAE though.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM

504 posts, read 616,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I understand what you are saying but I don't think Newbury Street has CBD type of development. Neighborhood development yes, but not CBD development (big commercial residential buildings or offices etc). Newbury Street is mainly a converted row house street which would not resemble buildings in a CBD. It actually represents the transition into the more neighborhood feel. Here is a great shot showing the stark contrast between the two:Newbury Street Boston - Google Maps
All of the high rises you can see in that picture are technically not part of downtown they are the border between Back Bay and the South End.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Bolyston Street is more "CBD-style" development.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
exactly what do you mean by continously built? i know these photos ive posted on here before and they can be somewhat deceiving.... it could lead one to believe that chicago is one mass comprised entirely of one continous built environment... do you mean only the central buisness district strictly or other centrally located communities that blend seamlessly into the cbd?

This photo was not taken downtown. CBD is the Loop, where the Sears tower is located. The next photo, is a really densely built neighborhood near northside, 3-4 miles north of the John Hancock building which in itself isnt technically cbd, but considered within the downtown area. Google says its a 10 min walk to go 2 miles from the sears tower to the john hancock building walking east down Jackson and then turning north on Michigan Ave.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...hitowncity.jpg

the near northside, goose island, lincoln park, uptown, wicker park, ukranian village, SoNo neighborhoods - or South of North ave.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ial-winter.jpg

see how "one continously built environment" can be somewhat ambiguous... i suppose it would depend on how densely the city is built... near south and near west sides - west loop west gate, pilsen, chinatown, south loop and bronzeville neighborhoods, Soldier field and McCormick place convention complex.... that building in itself is one huge continuous set of buildings, 4 of them interconnected w over 2.5 million sq ft of convention space...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s144e553c.jpeg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps0c716348.jpg

Take that continuous line of buildings up the goldcoast and fill-in south of the sears tower clear down to mccormick place... - intersting hypothetical, however nonetheless would make an interesting photochop idea *winky wink.

However, were not built in a mountain valley plain or hemmed in on a pennisula or island... more like the mississippi - broad flat vast and wide...

Another thing - just becuase our sidewalks are built bigger and wider does that somehow reduce density. id like to contest that...
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1..._Chicago-0.jpg

and for you eagle eyes out there youre right. its not even rush hr. its 315pm on a avg weekday...
We dont think small here. Big shoulders, make NO small plans.

None of these pictures can capture what we are talking about in this thread. Only street level pictures that show the relationship between the curb and the buildings and the street's and the intersection's capture the built environment at the intensity being examined.

For instance, these would all represent breaks in the built environment.

chicago il - Google Maps
chicago il - Google Maps
chicago il - Google Maps
chicago il - Google Maps
chicago il - Google Maps

Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Bolyston Street is more "CBD-style" development.
Yep Boylston, Huntington both have an extended CBD feel. I worked all over Boston and had lots of employment in Back Bay. I know earlier in the thread I said it wasn't part of the CBD but I thought we were being very picky for the sake of the thread. Most people cannot tell the difference between DT Boston all the way to Kenmore. Can't tell you how many times people would ask me "How do I get downtown" and then upon further query discovered they really just wanted to go to Fenway.

Again this is starting to smell like DC boosting when a place loses points for not having a uniform height. I mean I can definitely tell when I've left Midtown Manhattan and have headed to lower-rise areas like Greenwich Village...

Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yep Boylston, Huntington both have an extended CBD feel. I worked all over Boston and had lots of employment in Back Bay. I know earlier in the thread I said it wasn't part of the CBD but I thought we were being very picky for the sake of the thread. Most people cannot tell the difference between DT Boston all the way to Kenmore. Can't tell you how many times people would ask me "How do I get downtown" and then upon further query discovered they really just wanted to go to Fenway.

Again this is starting to smell like DC boosting when a place loses points for not having a uniform height. I mean I can definitely tell when I've left Midtown Manhattan and have headed to lower-rise areas like Greenwich Village...

Also to me much of Kendall sq is mostly an extension IMHO

Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also to me much of Kendall sq is mostly an extension IMHO
Yeah I agree with that too, in fact feels almost more CBD-like due to its general lack of mixed-use - finding lunch there was a b*atch!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

When did I say something loses points for not having uniform height? I said a building should be taller than two stories and really I was talking about a street of buildings that low. If there is an historic building that is 2-3 stories surrounded by taller building's, that is fine. I'm talking about a street of two level store fronts. I'm talking about parking lots. I'm talking about building setbacks. I'm talking about buildings that don't connect to the buildings beside them. What main street even in podunk chipee has building's that don't connect on there main street. Most form a street wall. That's all I was ever saying. If we include buildings two and three stories, when exactly would D.C.'s core end? Columbia Heights, Georgetown, and Adams Morgan?

FYI: I'm the one who said Manhattan formed one big downtown remember. Maybe you need to read through the thread again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning