Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

I usually base it one whether or not a large number of the people who work also live within the incorporated limits.

Cities have lots of feeder communities, but IMO towns don't. Towns have people who either live and work there, or live there but commute somewhere else to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
For me thats hard I live in a town of about 314,000 people not including the "city" with another 21,000 but we aren't a city IMO.. we're a big town. We don't have highrises except condos on the beach and our actual downtown is mostly one main street drag thats it. For me to qualify it as a city I think of NYC, Boston etc. the rest are just big towns

Old 11-13-2011, 04:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
It feels like a city to me when it has different distinct neighborhoods and sections.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:57 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
In Ohio, it's when a smaller government subdivision of a county -- an unincorporated township or an incorporated village -- reaches a population of 5,000, and then gains either voter or legislative approval (I forget which; maybe both).

Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I usually base it one whether or not a large number of the people who work also live within the incorporated limits.

Cities have lots of feeder communities, but IMO towns don't. Towns have people who either live and work there, or live there but commute somewhere else to work.
I guess that works for the USA, although not for many other countries. Many mid-sized and small Canadian cities have most of the metro within city limits, this includes Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, London, Barrie, Quebec City, Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Trois-Rivieres, St John's...

Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
I wouldn't say it "works for" us, as it is the root problem in a lot of American metro areas, but it's the way things are now, due to public highways and a lack of public transit, and other forces contributing to the growth of suburbs and exoburbs.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Well Monterey, Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Santa Monica, Beverley Hills, and Santa Rosa all have very tall buildings in their downtown and are below 200,000 sq. ft.

I think the biggest judge is do judge by a city by the density or amount of people living there. And usually more people means higher density.

Juneau, Alaska has about 30,000 population but has a very dense downtown. Do you consider it a town or city?

Or look at Irvine, Costa Mesa, and Mission Viejo. Very dense suburban communities, but no downtown. But still considered cities.

Also look at Oxnard which has 200,000 population and a very small downtown. It's still considered a city.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Colorado municipalities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colorado law makes relatively few distinctions between a city and a town. In general, cities are more populous than towns, although the town of Castle Rock and the town of Parker have more than 45,000 residents each, while the City of Black Hawk has fewer than 120 residents.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
They can exist in either, cant think of a major city without a mall actually within the city
Hmm. I was thinking of malls as a suburban thing.

I didn't expect Philly to have malls.

What counts as a mall? The only mall I could find listed for Boston is a shopping center on the bottom floors of a skyscraper in the city center (well just outside). It has its own parking garage; but also its own subway station. Still I guess it's a mall, just not my image of a mall.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
I think the posters here are using "town" in two different usages. One is the legal definition, another is a more colloquial usage meaning "a populated place less built up than a city". I think the OP meant the latter. I don't think the legal definition matters much unless you're dealing with the local laws or government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Or look at Irvine, Costa Mesa, and Mission Viejo. Very dense suburban communities, but no downtown. But still considered cities.
Long Island has some communities that are likely denser than those "cities" you listed. But no one would call them cities; they're just suburbs with houses that happen to be rather close together and are mostly bedroom communities with some small businesses mixed in. Maybe a good definition of a city is a place that has some core to it, at least is a destination of its own in the metro area, rather than a bedroom community.

Where I live fits all your criteria of a town except the low density part. Almost half of the population does not live in single family homes and the center is definitely not low density. There are large 4 story apartment buildings near me; but also farmland in walking distance. The change from somewhat dense housing to farmland is rather abrupt.

In Massachusetts, legally there's not a huge difference between towns and cities. A town can have a town meeting form of government while a city usually has a mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning