Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
You bolded the following in someone else's post:

Oakland has the Carnegie Library, several coffee shops, a grocery store, a florist shop, lots of restaurants, an amazing park, a post office, and several banks. Unless you're living deep within the outer limits of South/North Oakland, almost all of these things should be within a mile walk or so.
That post (of mine) was deleted. Those things might all have been within a mile's walk of my apt., but not necessarily all that close to each other, e.g. the bank might be a mile one way, the post office a mile another way, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's right. I have my receipt in a safe deposit box.

When I lived in the city (Pittsburgh), that's what I had to do. When DH and I lived in Denver, ditto. When my daughter lived in a different neighborhood in Denver, ditto. Living in the city does not guarantee you live within a 10 min. walk of all these places. DD did live close to a lot of restaurants, but not much else.
You've made this claim in the past and that's ok.:-) I guess its different in Denver and Pittsburgh. Every major city I've lived in from DC to Seattle and everywhere in between and now here in Los Angeles has amenities and conveniences a short walk away.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
You've made this claim in the past and that's ok.:-) I guess its different in Denver and Pittsburgh. Every major city I've lived in from DC to Seattle and everywhere in between and now here in Los Angeles has amenities and conveniences a short walk away.
Depends on the city you're in.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That post (of mine) was deleted. Those things might all have been within a mile's walk of my apt., but not necessarily all that close to each other, e.g. the bank might be a mile one way, the post office a mile another way, etc.
Other than the post office, all those businesses are clustered together along Forbes/Fifth, along with another commercial stretch on Craig Street. The park and library are not far from either commercial sub-sector and there are bank branches throughout Oakland. Perhaps it was just your particular branch that was inconvenient to everything else.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's not that, its the fact that you have to drive 10 minutes to Walmart, the bank, get on the interstate to a restaurant, kids need a car, can't walk to the corner store or to any friends outside of your subdivision. It's good when you're raising a family and don't mind driving 30mins-1hr to work. It's generally bad for kids unless you have the disposable income to buy them a car and pay there way. I grew up in the suburbs with a car I helped pay for and I spend less on gas living in the city than I did in the suburbs.
What makes you think that in every suburb, you have to drive 10 minutes to get anywhere? The suburbs are more than a bunch of subdivisions, just like the city is more than crowded apartment buildings. Broad generalizations will kill your argument.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What makes you think that in every suburb, you have to drive 10 minutes to get anywhere? The suburbs are more than a bunch of subdivisions, just like the city is more than crowded apartment buildings. Broad generalizations will kill your argument.
Ok I agree that's a generalization but if I wanted to drive anywhere it took 10 minutes or more. I don't know many people who have every daily amenity within a 10 minute drive in the suburbs.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:52 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ok I agree that's a generalization but if I wanted to drive anywhere it took 10 minutes or more. I don't know many people who have every daily amenity within a 10 minute drive in the suburbs.
I do. I can get every amenity within a 10 minute walk and i live in the outter-ring suburbs of Baltimore.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,801 times
Does anyone ever take into account how much driving pollutes?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I do. I can get every amenity within a 10 minute walk and i live in the outter-ring suburbs of Baltimore.
Such as bedroom communities of Baltimore? I've never been to Baltimore but I'm willing to bet it's far from suburban in nature.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Hmm. I lived in the B/W region. Where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning