Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:43 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Here's a classic that illustrates the mindset that lead to suburbia. It really was a noble idea, but somewhere we forgot the point of the movement in the first place... to live with the land instead of against it (relatively speaking), to raise families in safe, pleasant environments and revel in the glories of a more healthy, natural existence. I think we missed the ball on that one.

The City (1939) 1/2 - YouTube

The City (1939) 2/2 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 06:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It really was a noble idea, but somewhere we forgot the point of the movement in the first place...
...to live with the land instead of against it
But few could afford to have that out in the suburbs they wanted to move to...
anymore than they could have afforded it where they started from.

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House Full Movie Part 1 of 13 - YouTube

Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
I don't care what any of you urbanites have to say. I love the suburbs. I feel at peace here. Stop hating and just mind your business. If you don't like the suburbs, don't talk about it or move there. It's as simple as that.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't care what any of you urbanites have to say. I love the suburbs. I feel at peace here. Stop hating and just mind your business. If you don't like the suburbs, don't talk about it or move there. It's as simple as that.
Um... I live in a suburb.

Actually it was once a lone 100 yr old house in a rural area surrounded by fields that one day sprouted a bumper-crop of vinyl and cultured stone clad mcmansions. But am I bitter? Naw!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Little did they know they'd be the slums of the future...

http://youtu.be/3uus2hnYcGs

Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 PM

And here's the B-side!

Fear I Love Living In The City Live - YouTube

Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Let me tell you something, you suburb haters, especially the subset of you (most of you actually) who feel the burbs have "no sense of community". I am going to be having surgery soon, and a neighbor of mine sent out a group email to everyone who subscribes to the 'hood list-serve, asking for volunteers to make us some meals while I am recovering. She got about a dozen people to sign up in three days. How many of you have had that happen in a city neighborhood?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Let me tell you something, you suburb haters, especially the subset of you (most of you actually) who feel the burbs have "no sense of community". I am going to be having surgery soon, and a neighbor of mine sent out a group email to everyone who subscribes to the 'hood list-serve, asking for volunteers to make us some meals while I am recovering. She got about a dozen people to sign up in three days. How many of you have had that happen in a city neighborhood?
Well I have to say I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and Happy Thanksgiving. It is great that volunteers will help make meals, but who is to say that city neighborhoods don't do the same thing? When you say your suburb in Denver does that, we don't doubt you but I think that this or similar types of act of community involvement happen more in city neighborhoods than suburban ones. I live in a suburb and that doesn't happen really, or if it does it is much rarer and on a much smaller scale. Inner city neighborhoods have gatherings such as this a lot and I think city neighborhoods have more of a critical mass for more community gatherings similar to this. I think community happenings are closer and happen more often and on a larger scale in inner city neighborhoods than in most what people would call "McMansion" suburbs, but that doens't mean it doesn't happen in McMansion suburbs.

Nice video of the 1939 film "The City", very informative. I suppose if you lived back then you would have thought the city is so evil by looking at all the smokestacks and the hard life in NYC at that time. However, it is unfortunate the people of the 1950s like Robert Moses and others did not or willfully ignored the horrors that would result in their efforts to save them from the horrors of the city. Since we are more scientifically knowledgable right now, we need to see how suburban development destroys the very nature spaces that people want to live in in order to escape the city. Since the US has a huge population now and for the past 60 years, it is not possible to get everyone to live in the country like and as you said the point America missed with the suburbs is we ended up destroying nature by trying to get people to live with it when "country" living (like suburbs strived to be) is only viable if it takes up a minimal footprint, made of small walkable downtowns similar to old pre-WWII country towns, and relatively low populations in the rural areas.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:58 PM

You should watch "Suburbia," Katiana--those kids certainly had a sense of community!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
Well I have to say I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and Happy Thanksgiving. It is great that volunteers will help make meals, but who is to say that city neighborhoods don't do the same thing? When you say your suburb in Denver does that, we don't doubt you but I think that this or similar types of act of community involvement happen more in city neighborhoods than suburban ones. I live in a suburb and that doesn't happen really, or if it does it is much rarer and on a much smaller scale. Inner city neighborhoods have gatherings such as this a lot and I think city neighborhoods have more of a critical mass for more community gatherings similar to this. I think community happenings are closer and happen more often and on a larger scale in inner city neighborhoods than in most what people would call "McMansion" suburbs, but that doens't mean it doesn't happen in McMansion suburbs.

Nice video of the 1939 film "The City", very informative. I suppose if you lived back then you would have thought the city is so evil by looking at all the smokestacks and the hard life in NYC at that time. However, it is unfortunate the people of the 1950s like Robert Moses and others did not or willfully ignored the horrors that would result in their efforts to save them from the horrors of the city. Since we are more scientifically knowledgable right now, we need to see how suburban development destroys the very nature spaces that people want to live in in order to escape the city. Since the US has a huge population now and for the past 60 years, it is not possible to get everyone to live in the country like and as you said the point America missed with the suburbs is we ended up destroying nature by trying to get people to live with it when "country" living (like suburbs strived to be) is only viable if it takes up a minimal footprint, made of small walkable downtowns similar to old pre-WWII country towns, and relatively low populations in the rural areas.
Thanks for your kind words. RE: the bold, I completely disagree. I lived in the city, two large ones, Pittsburgh and Denver, and one small one, Champaign-Urbana IL. I didn't even know most of my neighbors there; I wouldn't have recognized most of them if I had tripped over them on the street. Could you give an example of such a thing happening in "the city", any city?

OTOH, the same type of neighborliness existed in my parents' suburban neighborhood near Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
You should watch "Suburbia," Katiana--those kids certainly had a sense of community!
What's that, some fiction film, or a film about dysfunctional kids? Not confined to the burbs, pal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning