Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:21 PM

26 posts, read 28,862 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. My name's Al. I come from Russia.

Would like to discuss a little thingy here with you.

A city where I'm located right now has been undergoing some major innovations related to roads expansion etc. and sometimes there are really serious consequences or inconveniences as they're called by the authorities in terms of interrupted water/gas/electricity supply to residential areas and living apartments because they need to relocate some sections of water conduit or whatever. So they cut water supply to a residential area where there live about 200 000 people.

Some palliative measures on behalf of the administration however have been taken in terms of delivering water in trucks to residential areas so that people could come up and fill buckets or whatever they have full of water and take it home.

I need your stance, your opinion about this kind of situation. Is it possible in your location? Would it be acceptable for you to live for two days with no water on your tap? Mean not a drop. Nothing. No way to wash hands, yourself, your baby or flush the toilet let alone washing up and cleaning around the house.

Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almuchaluv View Post
Hey guys. My name's Al. I come from Russia.

Would like to discuss a little thingy here with you.

I immediately decided I liked you after reading this.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 AM

You got anything to say topic wise?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
It does happen on occasion here too. Sometimes there is a water main break, problems with the pipes, a black out which means no electricty. But these things do not happen on a regular basis. Sometimes there is a situation where we are advised to boil water before using it for a couple of days. I lived in a building for a while which had a lot of plumbing problems. There were frequent times, when they would shut off the water for the entire building for the whole day. It was very uncomfortable.

But no, in general, we do not have the same type of problem that you have at the same level. The West has a better quality of life, but I am sure you know that.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:25 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
I remember when I lived in Baltimore, we'd have no water for a while sometimes because they were "working" on something. In NYC, I never remember having water problems in Queens. But I was at my friend's apartment last week on the LES & his hot water turns kind of brown sometimes. It's freaking gross.

almuchaluv, where are you from in Russia? I'm from Saint Petersburg.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Hey, bud. I live in Tomsk.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I was living in Jersey City when the main water main broke several miles from the City and thus the entire city of a quarter million and a couple of adjoining cities were without water for a couple weeks (if memory serves.)

I gathered together about 20 gallon jugs and periodically loaded them into the trunk of an IMMENSE car, drove into New York City and filled them from a hydrant.

Eventually the city worked out a system to deliver water trucks to key parts of the City. But my method worked better because it is impossible to carry 20 gallons and the lines to fill to the limited 2 gallons per person were tedious.

I cannot remember WHAT we did for washing...and it was mid-Summer. I DO remember it was a miserable experience.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Ok....do this now.
Click on "Soviet's" name and look at some of the gem threads he's started.
Classsssssssic stuff.
EASILY one of the funniest posters on this site.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:58 PM

Little did you know about what they do in summer time when they sort of run maintenance on hot water pipes.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
They say that's what killed Rome. No water supply, no people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning