Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well 4.26 miles from City hall is well into NJ and far outside the boundaries of the actual city, its one mile to NJ to the east, my numbers were CC, parts of North, South and West Philly the locations by Ray benefit SF and dimish Philly in this regard the same way if you started the radius in DT SF and included the Bay etc. I also think the PA filter was on if I recall but not sure menaing no NJ population was inlcuded

Will dig up the data in a bit am into to some meetings this afternoon
The 4.26 mile radius goes beyond the boundaries of SF too. It extends into the ocean, the bay, and part of neighboring Daly City. So no, the 4.26 mile measurement does not benefit SF any more than Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I like that you still want to put that in quotes despite it being absolutely true. For someone who wants to really getting into the details of things, it seems odd that that rubbed you the wrong way.
It wasn't meant to be sarcastic. If you haven't noticed, I tend to use italics and quotations a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just to clarify though, you remember grabbing parts of streetview outside the borders of what's designated Ktown with SFHs, but then me grabbing streetviews actually within Ktown showing blocks upon blocks of 3 to 6 story apartment complexes, right? Otherwise, we'd be working off the same misconceptions as last time.
If we were to exclude the area I linked to (which is part of the neighborhood's definition per Wiki and Google Maps), then that would only make Koreatown even denser. And that makes the difference in urban form between Chelsea and Kensington all the more striking.

Commercial street in Koreatown

Koreatown, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

Commercial street in Chelsea

Royal Borough Of Kensington & Chelsea, Pembroke Road, London, United Kingdom - Google Maps

Commercial Koreatown

Commercial Kensington

Royal Borough Of Kensington & Chelsea, Pembroke Road, London, United Kingdom - Google Maps

Residential Koreatown

Residential Chelsea

Residential Koreatown

Residential Chelsea

Cherrypicking? Or is the difference merely one of aesthetics?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
But really at the city-level, IMO (<-- and that is important) LA is on the level of a Chicago or Philadelphia - it just happened to annex a huge portion of its suburbs. Without the SFV, LA would still be the second largest city in the US, but it would not have such a large gap between it and Chicago. Not everyone in LA would think this though, I'm sure you can find many that would argue the SFV is an integral part of the city.

When you look at the city-limits you can clearly see where the generally round central city is, with it's huge tumor-like growth of the SFV to the northwest: los angeles, ca - Google Maps
I agree that L.A. compares as well. The form may be different, but that's it.

I noted earlier that 585k residents live in neighborhoods above 80, all of them concrentated to the west and immediate south of DTLA. That's just for city limits and it excludes WeHo, and Santa Monica--which are both over 80 as well. The average score of these neighborhoods would obviously surpass the total walkscore of DC and Boston (73 and 79 respectively), while matching their populations.

Car friendly like a Sunbelt city, dense like Chicago (over a larger area). That's L.A.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I agree that L.A. compares as well. The form may be different, but that's it.

I noted earlier that 585k residents live in neighborhoods above 80, all of them concrentated to the west and immediate south of DTLA. That's just for city limits and it excludes WeHo, and Santa Monica--which are both over 80 as well. The average score of these neighborhoods would obviously surpass the total walkscore of DC and Boston (73 and 79 respectively), while matching their populations.

Car friendly like a Sunbelt city, dense like Chicago (over a larger area). That's L.A.

I am anxious to see what will happen to D.C's walk score as all these grocery stores and new amenities open up across the 60% of the city that still lacks grocery stores and amenities because retailers fled black neighborhoods. You can imagine the mass exodus of grocery stores and shops when DC became an 80% black city. Now that other races are moving back into the city, retailers are returning too. Should be interesting to see the difference.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
I have a quotation
Quote:
"Destroying delusions of urbanity one post at a time." -BajanYankee
You should destroy yourself because you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to LA.

I don't think you've been to the right areas in LA. The things you describe about LA sounds more like you've been spending time in El Sereno than anything in the city's core.

If you want to start off in the core then I suggest you look in the heart of it and start at Figuora and Olympic cross section near LA Live you'll like that, its something New Yorkers like to gawk at, maybe see the Fashion district if you have the time for it. Work your way around and see Little Tokyo and eat at Ramon Row, Jewelry District, Chinatown, into the core Broadway, Gallery Row then head to the central market which is teeming with pedestrians, then leave downtown for Koreatown, Sawtelle, Echo Park, Hollywood and by extension West Hollywood, and mid Wilshire. If you follow these steps then you wouldn't be here arguing against LA being an urban city. Try it next time, I believe in you.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM

19 posts, read 22,580 times
I have to agree with Mr. RaymondChandler, because this obsession with urban statistics is so insane. The east coast feels more urban and pedestrian-friendly to most people, but urban only equals better if you are a hipster who is rebelling against your parents for raising you in the suburbs.

There is a reason NYC billionaires choose to live in Connecticut or Westchester. There is also a reason those same billionaires spend their weekends/summers in Martha's Vineyard, where they can be as far away from "urbanity" as possible.

I think a lot of the people who cherish the urbanity of the east coast do so because it is so foreign to them. Most kids who grow up in Brooklyn would KILL to live in a place that is leafy & quiet. I never heard inner-city kids say "NO Mom! Don't take that promotion and move us to the suburbs! There's no vibrancy!"

In hipster CD world, the premise of the show Entourage would be "These poor guys who were living in the urban paradise of queens are forced to move to Hollywood, where they will have to live in a mountaintop mansion & possibly even be forced to DRIVE to go to celebrity parties, $10,000 dinners, and sex with supermodels."

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blrd12345 View Post
I have to agree with Mr. RaymondChandler, because this obsession with urban statistics is so insane. The east coast feels more urban and pedestrian-friendly to most people, but urban only equals better if you are a hipster who is rebelling against your parents for raising you in the suburbs.

There is a reason NYC billionaires choose to live in Connecticut or Westchester. There is also a reason those same billionaires spend their weekends/summers in Martha's Vineyard, where they can be as far away from "urbanity" as possible.

I think a lot of the people who cherish the urbanity of the east coast do so because it is so foreign to them. Most kids who grow up in Brooklyn would KILL to live in a place that is leafy & quiet. I never heard inner-city kids say "NO Mom! Don't take that promotion and move us to the suburbs! There's no vibrancy!"

In hipster CD world, the premise of the show Entourage would be "These poor guys who were living in the urban paradise of queens are forced to move to Hollywood, where they will have to live in a mountaintop mansion & possibly even be forced to DRIVE to go to celebrity parties, $10,000 dinners, and sex with supermodels."
I think you are totally off base, otherwise everybody in Europe must be a hipster, b/c even their smaller no name, nobody on here has probably ever heard of city are modeled with very dense streets and ample public transportation. Go to Asia, a lot of it is the same way. What you have on here are urban enthusiasts, not sure why that has anything to do with hipsters. Plenty of rich NY'ers have apartments in Manhattan, same thing goes for people having places in dt Boston, Chicago, SF, etc.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I have a quotation

You should destroy yourself because you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to LA.

I don't think you've been to the right areas in LA. The things you describe about LA sounds more like you've been spending time in El Sereno than anything in the city's core.

If you want to start off in the core then I suggest you look in the heart of it and start at Figuora and Olympic cross section near LA Live you'll like that, its something New Yorkers like to gawk at, maybe see the Fashion district if you have the time for it. Work your way around and see Little Tokyo and eat at Ramon Row, Jewelry District, Chinatown, into the core Broadway, Gallery Row then head to the central market which is teeming with pedestrians, then leave downtown for Koreatown, Sawtelle, Echo Park, Hollywood and by extension West Hollywood, and mid Wilshire. If you follow these steps then you wouldn't be here arguing against LA being an urban city. Try it next time, I believe in you.
Isn't there a huge surface parking lot near L.A. Live? Has that parking lot been developed now? If not, I don't know if that would be the best place to suggest someone explore if you are trying to prove LA is urban.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It wasn't meant to be sarcastic. If you haven't noticed, I tend to use italics and quotations a lot.

If we were to exclude the area I linked to (which is part of the neighborhood's definition per Wiki and Google Maps), then that would only make Koreatown even denser. And that makes the difference in urban form between Chelsea and Kensington all the more striking.

Commercial street in Koreatown

Commercial street in Chelsea

Commercial Koreatown

Commercial Kensington

Residential Koreatown

Residential Chelsea

Residential Koreatown

Residential Chelsea

Cherrypicking? Or is the difference merely one of aesthetics?
One thing to keep in mind, I believe the true heart of Koreatown is actually south of Wilshire - and really only about up to Beverly Blvd.

For the record I have no problem with the streetviews, just that they are really on the periphery of Koreatown. Google has the borders completely wrong.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Isn't there a huge surface parking lot near L.A. Live? Has that parking lot been developed now? If not, I don't know if that would be the best place to suggest someone explore if you are trying to prove LA is urban.
Look at the next ten words behind what you highlighted. LA Live was meant to be sarcasm to Bajan, the rest of it I meant though and none of those other areas will disappoint. It's called precision, that's why I'm always having to reexplain the meaning of my post to selective readers back east.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning