Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"You are so cute scrantiX. Too cute"
Just about the creepiest rep I've ever gotten.

kthnx weirdo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Here's the "non-vibrant" Sunset Park, which just so happens to have more pedestrian traffic than, well, almost everywhere not in NYC.

Sunset Park Brooklyn - YouTube

Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You can even stop by at the Apple store or Tiffany and Co on Colorado, neither or which can be found in Brooklyn.
Or go to Santa Anita Racetrack, Norton Simon Museum, Cal Tech, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena Playhouse, Playhouse District, or the Huntington Museum. Unfortunately, I don't get there that often, because, you know, there's so much else to do in LA's environs.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post

kthnx weirdo

I got it too. Somebody's unhinged.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Or go to Santa Anita Racetrack, Norton Simon Museum, Cal Tech, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena Playhouse, Playhouse District, or the Huntington Museum. Unfortunately, I don't get there that often, because, you know, there's so much else to do in LA's environs.
All within driving distance!

Seriously, though. Where is the urbanity?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 PM

Let's check out Astoria. It looks like the urbanity outside of Manhattan is underwhelming compared to Orange County.

Astoria, Queens - YouTube

Old 09-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Well, it's getting late. I was really hoping to see all of the vibrant areas outside of the non-core areas in other cities. Even though you can't find any videos, pictures, or flattering density stats for this urbanity, I'm sure it puts the outer boroughs and its rinky, dinky transit and low walkscores to shame.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here's the "non-vibrant" Sunset Park, which just so happens to have more pedestrian traffic than, well, almost everywhere not in NYC.

Sunset Park Brooklyn - YouTube
Very exiting. Can you post clips that zero in on people...crossing the street? I don't know if my heart can take that kind of excitement.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post

kthnx weirdo
Wow

Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 PM

19 posts, read 22,580 times
LA vs. NY in terms of "urbanity" is truly foolish. I don't really think there's any logical human who would believe LA is comparable to NYC in this category; you just can't if you have eyes & thoughts.

What I don't get is why LA people always play into the argument of the east coast? By claiming that "LA is just as urban," you are basically conceding that urbanity is preferable to suburbia. You are letting the east coast people define what makes a great city in a category that isn't necessarily your strong point.

Los Angeles & the west has many things going for it that cannot be found on the east coast; fast-paced city living is just not one of them. The beaches are better, people are friendler, weather is infinitely better, women are beautiful etc. But over and over again, I read people desperately trying to claim that western cities are comparable to eastern cities in population density, pace of living, wealth, world influence, education, etc.

keep in mind the following institutions are headquarted between boston & DC:
every major bank, every major media outlet, every ivy league school, every top law firm, the entire us government, united nations, IMF, World Bank, Federal Reserve, every major insurance company, every top accounting firm, every top lobbying firm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning