Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,881,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Big woop....5 years of success after 60 years of this.....Washington Dc Murder Capital | Washington is murder capital for second year - Baltimore Sun

and this

Homicide rate up again - Washington Times

Unlike most people on this board, I know DC for what it was for the last half a century. Didn't see anyone in outrage or up in arms about any of those headlines. Most people around the country couldn't care less....
I doubt there was any less or more caring than any other city struggling with crime (e.g. Philly, Detroit, etc.). Something DC will have to consider is the fact that it's growing on government which is dependent on spending with a huge deficit looming. It should grow as smart and steady as it can; which does not mean it should push preservation efforts aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,778,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Rents will be high in the city whether the site gets developed or not. The argument that "NIMBYs" are keeping rents high in the city by opposing this specific development is completely bogus.

And big box stores are the only tenants that can afford the rent in many cities. DC is not unique in that respect.

I don't see that problem in NYC, do you?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I believe the reason has a lot to do with the fact that there are a huge number of high paying government and contractor jobs in the city. Government spending and private contractors competing and living off of government contracts are flooding the city with growth.

I may be wrong, but gentrification in DC feels different from any other place I've visited. The rich are spreading through the city like a wildfire, and it's almost as if the standard gentrification process is too slow for the demand.

In any event, I don't believe that this rapid growth should override preservation efforts.

Not really, most of the city is still pretty poor. One of the biggest perception issues for many people who have recently come to DC to live or visit is the other 50% of the city most of you never see or visit. I would wager most people who talk about DC doing so great on this board never venture very far east of North Capitol Street and north of H street in NE DC or South of the Anacostia river in NE and SE DC which comprises a huge part of the city. If you stay in the other 50% of the city, it will appear to be this booming metropolis but most of the city doesn't look like downtown and it's surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM

32,117 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
I don't see that problem in NYC, do you?
What? High rents making it difficult for local, independent shops to stay in business? Of course!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,881,409 times
Quote:
Not really, most of the city is still pretty poor. One of the biggest perception issues for many people who have recently come to DC to live or visit is the other 50% of the city most of you never see or visit. I would wager most people who talk about DC doing so great on this board never venture very far east of North Capitol Street and north of H street in NE DC or South of the Anacostia river in NE and SE DC which comprises a huge part of the city. If you stay in the other 50% of the city, it will appear to be this booming metropolis but most of the city doesn't look like downtown and it's surrounding neighborhoods.
I actually have family in the other 50%, and the reason I feel that the gentrification process isn't fast enough is because of this. 50% of the city is trying to build on top of parks because it can't wait for the other 50% to gentrify. People want in now, but displacing the poor takes a while...

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Sooo...what does this have to do with bulldozing a historic site? Why do you think its demolition is justified?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
What? High rents making it difficult for local, independent shops to stay in business? Of course!

So, you are saying NYC doesn't have a large amount of local, independent shops in business right now? Have you been to NYC? Seems like they don't have a problem doing it, wonder why DC has such a problem? O yeah...I forgot, keep the city at 600,000 people and most importanly, keep the guns on the street by taking potential eyes of them. Is that what you want? Where do you expect the city to grow pray tell? Where are all these wonderful plots of land to build on for new residents? You actually need those for retail to survive you know. Any other city would just build taller building so they can preserve open land, Opps....forgot that's not an option in DC. Any other bright ideas?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Sooo...what does this have to do with bulldozing a historic site? Why do you think its demolition is justified?

What is being bull dozed? The pillars are being incorporated into the new development and that is the only thing that can be seen above ground. What is being bull dozed? Are you talking about the fenced off open grass fields?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
What is being bull dozed? The pillars are being incorporated into the new development and that is the only thing that can be seen above ground. What is being bull dozed? Are you talking about the fenced off open grass fields?
The proposed plan calls for the demolition of 84 percent of the underground structure.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't have to displace anyone if we didn't have height restrictions. Nobody would be talking about developing this area or the Old Soldiers Home etc. if DC could accomdate growth on it's buildable land. I mean, downtown DC is now at total buildout with no room to build up. Do you have any idea what that means for the next 100 years in DC? Disaster!!!!! The mayor and everyone else in DC planning is trying to figure out how in the world this city can grow over the next century when we are pretty much out of land and can't build up. Maybe you need to think about that for a moment.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning