Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If Manhattan can create space for new buildings, then I'm pretty sure DC can do it too.

Top 10 New Construction Rental Buildings in Manhattan | View No Fee Apartments on Urban Edge

Yes that is true, but in DC's case, as long as they aren't taller than 4 stories. And if they are taller, prepare for a major fight. Or maybe they won't build anything, just make it historical like the Western Bus Garage in Friendship Heights fight going on. Or, how about the Hines School redevelopment losing more floors because it’s too tall for the residents? DC is going to come to a screeching halt very soon. Watch! It's pretty easy to build up a city full of vacant crack houses and open lots. What happens when you run out of land? I know many of you are privileged to not care about 2050, but planners are paid to think about the future. Got any bright ideas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You just build over the National Mall, Rock Creek Park, the White House lawn and the Capitol Grounds. I'm sure most DC residents cherish density that much.

Why would we do that? What DC needs is the abolishment of the height restrictions. Have you seen DC's downtown? What do you think? You actually like that? Well, your view to keep the height restrictions in place is the reason DC's downtown looks like that. It's also the reason DC will remain stuck in the mud.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why would we do that? What DC needs is the abolishment of the height restrictions. Have you seen DC's downtown? What do you think? You actually like that? Well, your view to keep the height restrictions in place is the reason DC's downtown looks like that. It's also the reason DC will remain stuck in the mud.
Should Paris abolish its height restrictions in its core, too (the city lifted height restrictions on the outskirts already)? If Paris doesn't start building skyscrapers ASAP, will it also be "stuck in the mud," and watch cities like Portland, Los Angeles and Denver pass it by?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Should Paris abolish its height restrictions in its core, too (the city lifted height restrictions on the outskirts already)? If Paris doesn't start building skyscrapers ASAP, will it also be "stuck in the mud," and watch cities like Portland, Los Angeles and Denver pass it by?

When you are already awesome with height restrictions like Paris, you don't need to build higher. When you aren't in DC's case, you might want to think about it.

Paris
Density: 54,900 people per sq. mile
Land Area: 40.7 miles
Population: 2,234,105 people

DC:
Density: 10,065 people per sq. mile
Land Area: 61.4 miles
Population: 617,996 people

And don't try to say DC can build as dense as Paris because it won't happen. DC won't even get to 15,000 people per square mile much less 54,000 people per square mile. Most people in DC think it's too crowded now at 10,065 people per square mile.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
When you are already awesome with height restrictions like Paris, you don't need to build higher. When you aren't in DC's case, you might want to think about it.

Paris
Density: 54,900 people per sq. mile
Land Area: 40.7 miles
Population: 2,234,105 people

DC:
Density: 10,065 people per sq. mile
Land Area: 61.4 miles
Population: 617,996 people

Oh, I forgot to add that Howard University opposes the plan.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,648 times
Quote:
You also didn't answer the question about the reason you think DC commercial rent is so high and how to combat it. Got any ideas?
I'd very much like to see a breakdown of the costs of constructing 1 sq ft of residential space. It would be very interesting to know how much of an effect land costs have on the value of the property, including in 2nd order via labor costs of construction (and, I guess, maintenance).

Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:

I bet they do. Do they oppose JBG building their new residential highrise on the Atlantic Plumbing site with the Harris Teeter next year basically dooming their 5 year stalled Howard Town Center that can't be built without a grocery store? Howard is the biggest hole in DC's core right now. Nothing but parking lots and disinvestment. They just put out that 10 years plan and I bet most of it never get's built.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Don't you live in NYC now? What made you leave DC? How do you like it? How does DC compare to NYC? Seems odd to me you talk about DC so badly when comparing it to Philly or NYC, yet you don't want it to get better. You think DC shouldn't build on open land, congress shouldn't lift the height restrictions, and DC should just be happy the way it is with chain restaurants and ugly buildings. Do I have that right?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Don't you live in NYC now? What made you leave DC? How do you like it? How does DC compare to NYC? Seems odd to me you talk about DC so badly when comparing it to Philly or NYC, yet you don't want it to get better. You think DC shouldn't build on open land, congress shouldn't lift the height restrictions, and DC should just be happy the way it is with chain restaurants and ugly buildings. Do I have that right?
How do I "talk about DC so badly?" I'm opposed to building on historic sites. I couldn't care less what happens to undeveloped parcels of land with no real historic value.

But perhaps you think that site is the equivalent of an empty parking lot?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
How do I "talk about DC so badly?" I'm opposed to building on historic sites. I couldn't care less what happens to undeveloped parcels of land with no real historic value.

But perhaps you think that site is the equivalent of an empty parking lot?

So you have never bashed DC in all the countless threads on this site? Let DC being going up against NYC, Philly, or Boston, you will bash it. The only time I don't see you bash DC is when DC is going up against cities outside the NE corridor. Do you support height restrictions in DC while we are on the topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning