Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times

Advertisements

For anyone reading this who is understanding the references to a Century City (!??!) movie theater to be downtown LA, that's sort of like if someone thinks King of Prussia is Center City Philadelphia. Or Manhattan, Kansas, to be in New York. In other words, don't make the mistake of getting the two mixed up. And that makes, essentially, ALL of cisco kid's observations faulty, at least as they refer to do downtown LA. He has clearly never been to downtown LA.

Century City is NOT downtown. It's not even close. Some tall buildings and "city" in the name do not a downtown make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Obvious? I didn't expect a downtown movie theater to offer parking validated parking for free. The rates at this mall / skyscraper complex in Boston is $12 after validation up to 4 hours or evenings:

Boston's largest parking garage at The Shops at Prudential Center

driving to a downtown, parking somewhere and then walking around isn't too bad for walkability. The issue if parking start to take up too much space.
Here are the rates at the Regal / AMC Theater in South Park. Looks like $5 with validation for 4 hours.

Regal Cinemas Parking Guide

The only time I went to this theater I just took the subway. There are much better movie theaters much closer to me so I'll probably never go back (the only reason I went was I had some free passes).

Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,634 times
Again to follow up on Bajan's google streetview trek, here's a map of the urban "yellow" streetcar lines (not the interurban red cars) in 1938, basically defining what the "city" was at that time. The colors relate to population density.

As you can see, you trekked down the "P" line toward Crenshaw, which would have been at the "end of the line" at the time--effectively the "suburbs" of the day. You turned left and headed west on Wilshire toward Miracle Mile, which was a completely auto-oriented suburban shopping district of the time.

If you're looking for the more pedestrian-oriented areas of LA from an urban design standpoint--or at least the areas that have the greatest potential due to street/block layout, parcel size, etc.--it would make sense to stick to the core areas that were served by the urban streetcar system. As you can see, there's a contiguous urban core area west of the river that would be the area of LA that would best fit your description of a "360" urban layout.

Anything on the red car system will be the isolated suburban town center kind of stuff that has been discussed as more representative of the rest of the basin.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Again to follow up on Bajan's google streetview trek, here's a map of the urban "yellow" streetcar lines (not the interurban red cars) in 1938, basically defining what the "city" was at that time. The colors relate to population density.

As you can see, you trekked down the "P" line toward Crenshaw, which would have been at the "end of the line" at the time--effectively the "suburbs" of the day. You turned left and headed west on Wilshire toward Miracle Mile, which was a completely auto-oriented suburban shopping district of the time.

If you're looking for the more pedestrian-oriented areas of LA from an urban design standpoint--or at least the areas that have the greatest potential due to street/block layout, parcel size, etc.--it would make sense to stick to the core areas that were served by the urban streetcar system. As you can see, there's a contiguous urban core area west of the river that would be the area of LA that would best fit your description of a "360" urban layout.

Anything on the red car system will be the isolated suburban town center kind of stuff that has been discussed as more representative of the rest of the basin.
Was this a core area served by the streetcar system?

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Was this a core area served by the streetcar system?

Yes. If you turn the camera around you'll see a block that hasn't been extensively redeveloped and it'll make more sense.

That area of town is called City West and was demolished extensively during the latter part of the last century--for new redevelopment that never really materialized.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM

Still walking down 6th Street.

At 6th and Coronado. More buildings, but still looks very auto-centric.

6th and Lafayette Park Place. I'll give this a pass since there's a park to the left.

6th and Commonwealth. Very spaced out. Time to turn down a side street.

Wilshire and Commonwealth. I have yet to see any neighborhood that I would call pedestrian-centric.

This is at or near the neighborhood of Silver Lake @ Sunset and Benton.

Still looks car-centric. The road ahead is terrible so I'll give somewhere else a shot.

Heading south on Coronado Street.

Went under the 110. Still on Coronado.

Left on Temple Street.

Quick right on Parkview.

Hanging a left onto Beverly.

Beverly and Alvarado.

Beverly and N. Bonnie Brae.

Beverly and Union. Still auto-centric.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-09-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Right onto South Union.

Not really feeling like a walkable core here.

Still on S. Union. This seems like it would be hell to walk in real life.

Here's a commercial stip at Union and 6th. But it's just that: a "strip." It's short and and situated a good distance from the residences.

S. Bronnie Brae and 6th Street.

S. Westlake and 6th Street. A little more compact than other areas, but it still strikes me as some place where I'd drive if I had a car. Moreover, it strikes me as a place where I would definitely want to own a car.

Wilshire and Westlake. This seems to be the most livable corner I've encountered so far. But there's not much around it.

If I make a right on Wilshire, I get to this.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:40 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
And yet:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25492022-post693.html

Somehow we make do.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:42 PM

I'll try Boyle Heights now. I'm starting off on whatever street I get on Google maps.

That appears to be Guirardo Street and Orme Avenue.

Left on Orme.

Right on Whittier. Very auto-centric.

This looks like the industrial part of DC on Route 50 coming in from New York.

Whittier and Soto Street. This is way too spaced out for every day errands on foot. Unless I couldn't afford a car, that is, which is probably the case for many of the people you see on the streets.

Left on Soto Street.

Definitely need a car here.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Still walking down 6th Street.

All of those areas were pedestrian oriented at one time, but have been blighted by auto uses (and just general blight...). They can be redeveloped to be more pedestrian-oriented again relatively easily--it'll just take filling in the gaps. Also, a lot of those areas you posted I do find pedestrian friendly out on the street--I've spent a lot of time walking around most of those. Sure, it's no lower manhattan, but it's got a lot of potential. I tend to think of these areas as being unwalkable because of a proliferation of "poor uses" not because of anything inherent in the "DNA" of the urban fabric of these commercial areas. For example, parts of City West are starting to be redeveloped, and if you get enough of this kind of thing you'll start to get some synergy: westlake los angeles - Google Maps

The other areas that you visited earlier, like la cienega and wilshire east of hancock park, basically don't have any hope to become compact "360" environments because they have too many large postwar parcels and huge block sizes. Also, the distance between commercial streets is way too large.

And for the record, I was never one to say that Los Angeles on the whole is as pedestrian-friendly as other cities that have the same density of people and amenities. There is definitely a strong auto-orientation bias that does make it far less pleasing to walk in Los Angeles. That said, in the historic area of the yellow cars, we have the opportunity to build a very walkable urban core by doing some relatively small-scale redevelopment (in the grand scheme of city building) on the commercial corridors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning