Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Like DC? from urban planning standpoint
yes, 28 77.78%
no 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

For a history buff like me, I cant get enough of the Mall area, Ive been there three times, for multiple days each visit, and have barely scratched the surface of what I want to see. Totally love the museums and history found there, and its a bonus the majority of museums are free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Are you forgetting about the countless cities who have built light rail? I recently saw an article showing that a half dozen projects are currently underway, or receiving funding.
Depends on what he meant by "rail." But, you're right. Passenger rail of all types has seen a lot of activity since 1990.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
I love DC in theory, but it frequently fails in practice. I was there last week and transportation is a challenge. The road system is very confusing to the uninitiated and the metro is lacking when compared to Paris or New York.

It's obviously better than LA or Phoenix, but that's a very low benchmark.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I love DC in theory, but it frequently fails in practice. I was there last week and transportation is a challenge. The road system is very confusing to the uninitiated and the metro is lacking when compared to Paris or New York.

It's obviously better than LA or Phoenix, but that's a very low benchmark.
Oh thanks. LA's metro is a lot more impressive than you seem to think

I like DC's lack of a skyline. Everybody and especially those on CD act like a cities skyline is the only thing that makes a city a "real" city. That's ubsurd. I think DC is a very beautiful city, I think politics and it's association with the city overshadow what it truly offers. Oh well, those who are patient and take the time to see past fascades are the ones who truly appreciate it's character and charm. Those who don't notice subtlety should stick to an "in your face" city like NYC.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Oh thanks. LA's metro is a lot more impressive than you seem to think

I like DC's lack of a skyline. Everybody and especially those on CD act like a cities skyline is the only thing that makes a city a "real" city. That's ubsurd. I think DC is a very beautiful city, I think politics and it's association with the city overshadow what it truly offers. Oh well, those who are patient and take the time to see past fascades are the ones who truly appreciate it's character and charm. Those who don't notice subtlety should stick to an "in your face" city like NYC.
I was commenting on transportation and navigability, not aesthetics. Urban planning is about more than creating ceremonial vistas.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I like DC proper, but one thing I really don't like is the length and width of many of the streets. Don't get me wrong, DC is very walkable, but I think its wide boulevards and long blocks set it back from many of the older cities.
That's only Downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Another thing I really don't like is that downtown DC concentrated far too much of its built environment to single-use buildings. There isn't a good enough spread of primary mixed uses, making for a less interesting and vibrant experience IMO. I prefer DC's neighborhoods over downtown.
This is true for large swaths of its Downtown. But there's really not much choice in the matter. You can't stuff a Uniqlo at the bottom level of Homeland Security.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I was commenting on transportation and navigability, not aesthetics. Urban planning is about more than creating ceremonial vistas.
Yes, I know. So many people on CD talk like they know a thing or two about urban planning. Yet they all stumble on the same LA stereotypes. Comparing it to Phoenix isn't exactly putting the right foot forward when claiming to know a thing about urban planning.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Love DC. It's just too bad you have to pay through the nose for housing. And too bad if you drive a car in DC traffic. My last visit to DC a couple years ago, I was getting into the city in the evening rush hour traffic and I left to go back home during the morning rush hour traffic, and looking at the cars lined up on the other side of the interstate from me, I was like "ain't no way." Rode the DC transit during the day though, and it was all good.

What I especially like, though, is the grid/triangle street layout and the ample intersperced parks/greenspace, and the abundant bike trails. My favorite part of DC- Georgetown. Really like Alexandria too, though if we're talking metro.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
The place is funky the way a generic US "northeast' city (when you get away from the Mall and the Federal buildings/monuments) is sort of shoe-horned into that baroque street plan and a height limit on office buildings.

But one obsevation is that the everyday "generic" vernacular architecture is of fairly high qaulity..all over town.

Big fan of DC, here (and I dont drive when im there! Who needs to with Metro?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning