Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 02:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Don't know how much clearer I can get than

I'm not speaking of where a thing originated, rather I am speaking of the national trend of attitudes ABOUT the thing over the past few decades regardless of where it originated.

What's poor about THAT explanation of the context? What about THAT explanation still leads people to think I'm referring to where a thing originated?

And all my examples and points are still about national trends in urban versus rural attitudes from a political perspective. The OP made the tie between the urban and a liberal philosophy, and I'm exploring that tie (and the natural converse of rural to conservative philosophy) as well as what makes the places that are different, different.
Well, since I am one of the posters you are vilifying, I will speak up at this point. You started this conversation off by saying the rest of America had to convince the rural states to GIVE, repeat GIVE women the vote. That the women's suffrage movement did not happen that way seems immaterial to you. You want it to be that way. So you kept moving the goal posts and making more unsubstantiated statements that somehow rural men suppress rural women's voting right. That is simply nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Here's a comparison between Nebraska and Iowa:

Nebraska G.O.P. Draws a Tougher Map for Obama - NYTimes.com

Iowa: Racially Homogeneous, but Politically Diverse - NYTimes.com

Maybe not perfect, but a good start anyone interested in the states. Might give an explanation on some political cultural differences. Also, take a look at the large difference in presidential voting numbers.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,971,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The first post is probably correct; I don't feel like doing some prolonged research to check. The second quote is incorrect. Nebraska is the most urban of the Great Plains states,
"Of the Great Plains states?" I'm speaking in a national context.

Nebraska is 43rd out of 50 states in 2011 population density, at just under 24 inhabitants per square mile. Other great plains states are near the bottom of the list too. So "of the Great Plains states" may or may not be the case, but I'm talking in a national context, and in a national context, Nebraska is a rural red state. Iowa is 36 on the list, again low on the list. So again, the point is I'm interested in finding out what makes Iowa politics different from Nebraska politics.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM

The article about NE was interesting. I agree with this comment:

I am very disappointed in this analysis of Nebraska. While I agree that we have become largely a one-party state, we are given no credit for the populist roots of our state. And we are given no credit for the fact that the Democratic Party has carried a senate seat for decades and we have elected many Governors that were members of the Democratic party. At the same time, the article about South Dakota gives them credit for their populism and for electing Dems to the Senate and the House and completely ignore that they unseated Daschel when he was the majority leader. Give Nebraska the credit it is due here and help those of us members of the Democratic party that are still here in our fine state build some momentum!

I find it interesting that Iowa has a lower minority population than Nebraska.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
"Of the Great Plains states?" I'm speaking in a national context.

Nebraska is 43rd out of 50 states in 2011 population density, at just under 24 inhabitants per square mile. Other great plains states are near the bottom of the list too. So "of the Great Plains states" may or may not be the case, but I'm talking in a national context, and in a national context, Nebraska is a rural red state. Iowa is 36 on the list, again low on the list. So again, the point is I'm interested in finding out what makes Iowa politics different from Nebraska politics.
It is what it is! Nebraska has a 69% urban population. You just can't be wrong!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
No at least from personal experience.

I went to Berkeley, being attracted to its liberal leanings..

But living there for 4 years only brought out the 'conservative' inside me.

So I guess it's the opposite.. I guess if I moved to a conservative city, I'd become more liberal.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Well, since I am one of the posters you are vilifying, I will speak up at this point.
Actually you are a poster who came at me with "LOL, never visited but know all about it!" and "crock of compost" when I had not addressed YOU that way. You came at me with attitude from the start about what I had posted.

Quote:
You started this conversation off by saying the rest of America had to convince the rural states to GIVE, repeat GIVE women the vote.
Actually I did not start this conversation with saying GIVE women the vote. But regardless of that, I later CLARIFIED for the benefit of those who didn't understand my context from the start. Nevertheless, even AFTER I clarified, that my context was NOT the origins of the issue, I STILL got rebuttals AGAINST MY POSTS from the perspective of the origins of the issue. Even after repeating this context over and over. At this point there should really be no doubt about my context.

So you first came at me with attitude when I had not addressed YOU that way, AND after I explained my context you insisted on continuing to address my posts out of their context. Now, I'm interested into moving on to the discussion of what makes Iowa different from Nebraska in the context of political results considering they both are rural states and considering that, as the OP suggested, liberalism seems to be tied to urban influence.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Going back to "not all rural areas are the same", I have a friend who's from rural PA (though living in NYC now), rather devoutly christian, politically conservative but with a rather liberarian bent who find North Carolina (and I assume rural NC) somewhat culturally alien.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe it WAS elitist for America at large to tell rural America to get with the program and let women vote.
From 12/12/12!

Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
It is what it is! Nebraska has a 69% urban population.
Like the list says, 43rd of 50 states.

The top 10 states on that list trend Democratic. The bottom 10 states on that list trend Republican. The states in between vary, but nontheless have the greater liberal tendency in urban areas as compared to rural areas.

I'm not interested in the nitpicking, I'm interesed in why, UNDERSTANDING that the bottom of that list trends strongly Republican (and the top trends strongly Democratic), why Iowa is politically different from Nebraska considering them being in the same region, actually side by side. At this point and considering past tendencies, I am going to focus away from the nitpicking and entertain comments and ideas on where the political difference between the states lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning