Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Michael Bloomberg is very liberal, and he avidly supported Obama in the 2012 Presidential election.
Bloomberg is a fascist, like Giuliani before him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Michael Bloomberg is very liberal, and he avidly supported Obama in the 2012 Presidential election.
I doubt many liberals would consider Michael Bloomberg one of them. He was very critical of Occupy Wall Street, not just their tactics but their message, not surprising considering his background. On foreign policy, he tended to criticize Democrats calls for Iraq withdrawal at the end of the Bush administration. Also, unsympathetic to critics of police of "stop and frisk". He didn't support Obama until a couple weeks before the election.

Either way, he's not really a conservative, but "very liberal" is a misnomer. Also depends on how much weight you place on economic issues rather social issues. On national level, I suspect he wouldn't fit within liberals on economic issues, and probably closer to the Republican Party. But local elections aren't on the same issues. A lot of issues aren't ideological and some are based on just management, which in general he seemed to do well at. If I lived in New York City, I'd be willing to consider voting for Bloomberg but wouldn't in a federal election. And some urban planning issues (planning more pedestrians, bicycles and transit rather than cars) Bloomberg came closer to my views than other candidates did. Rather the opposite of Bob Ford in Toronto. In the last mayoral election, there was a strong racial divide, with whites who typically vote Democrat voting for Bloomberg while minorities tended to vote for the Democratic candidate in the election.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My favorite example of urban "tolerance" is the Boston school integration riots of 1974.
Boston busing crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just the prior year, during the Watergate mess, people from MA were driving around with these bumper stickers that said "Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts" (the only state Nixon lost), pointing their fingers at the rest of us lowlifes. Then busing came to their home, and everything was "different". I know we've discussed this before, and a rehash is not necessary, just saying, some people don't know how to "walk the walk" even if they "talk the talk".
I think that goes under the "exposure to diversity makes one less tolerant category". I thought that bumper sticker was rather cute, but anyhow you can't judge a whole state by one neighborhood. Many of the people involved many have been Nixon voters or if not voted for McGovern because they agreed with other parts of the platform.

I know in New York City, much of the local population was strongly supportive of the civil rights movement but became less so after lots of the black population moved in. Chicago was racist before and after:

Chicago Race Riot of 1919 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enough that Wilson thought the whites were at fault. Richard Daley was a participant.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,971,087 times
Bloomberg was on tv this morning calling for tighter regulations on guns. Bloomberg is less of a liberal on economics, more of a social liberal.

The MOST LIBERAL of people may not consider him card carrying, but again it is about placement on a spectrum.

My position on not outlawing fracking might disqualify me from being a card carrying liberal, nonetheless my prevailing social political tendency is liberal or libertarian. Not being 100% liberal doesn't mean the overall social lean isn't liberal.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think that goes under the "exposure to diversity makes one less tolerant category". I thought that bumper sticker was rather cute, but anyhow you can't judge a whole state by one neighborhood. Many of the people involved many have been Nixon voters or if not voted for McGovern because they agreed with other parts of the platform.

I know in New York City, much of the local population was strongly supportive of the civil rights movement but became less so after lots of the black population moved in. Chicago was racist before and after:

Chicago Race Riot of 1919 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enough that Wilson thought the whites were at fault. Richard Daley was a participant.
Re: the bold, I agree. At first there were these bumper stickers that said, "Don't blame me, I voted for McGovern", but they evolved into the other. People from MA just thought they were being so funny, poking fingers at the rest of us (and I did vote for McGovern). I'm just saying, you have to walk the walk.

I agree about Chicago.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Bloomberg was on tv this morning calling for tighter regulations on guns. Bloomberg is less of a liberal on economics, more of a social liberal.

The MOST LIBERAL of people may not consider him card carrying, but again it is about placement on a spectrum.

My position on not outlawing fracking might disqualify me from being a card carrying liberal, nonetheless my prevailing social political tendency is liberal or libertarian. Not being 100% liberal doesn't mean the overall social lean isn't liberal.
Well yes, on social issues he's little different from most liberals. Social issues aren't the only issues, and liberal in my mind implies certain economic views.

As for gun control, few big city mayors are opposed. There isn't much of a gun culture, many aren't used to guns,

Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
At first there were these bumper stickers that said, "Don't blame me, I voted for McGovern", but they evolved into the other. People from MA just thought they were being so funny, poking fingers at the rest of us (and I did vote for McGovern).
Local political pride. I can't find what's wrong with it. If I voted for McGovern back then, I would have put it on my car. There was an anti-Nixon political poster for sale in a local antique store, I was tempted to buy it.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Chicago is a city that offered blacks economic opportunity in HUGE amounts around the '50s and '60s and of course does today too. Chicago was where blacks could get ahead at a time when they couldn't in many other places. The urban environment has historically been the predominant vehicle for prosperity reaching out to diversity, Chicago being one of the most urban environments in the USA.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Local political pride. I can't find what's wrong with it. If I voted for McGovern back then, I would have put it on my car. There was an anti-Nixon political poster for sale in a local antique store, I was tempted to buy it.
Well, a lot of them voted for Nixon, or they would have had the "Don't blame me I voted for McGovern" stickers on their cars. There's nothing wrong with any of it; it's just ironic that a year later some of the same people were protesting and rioting against school integration.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Well yes, on social issues he's little different from most liberals. Social issues aren't the only issues, and liberal in my mind implies certain economic views.
The problem with that rationale is that often people reach their social political philosophy and economic political philosophy independently. That is to say there are plenty of social liberals or libertarians who are fiscally conservative. And interestingly enough, amongst conservative circles in the Republican Party today, even being fiscally conservative and socially moderate will get you considered a liberal. For all of Romneys talk about being severely conservative, many in the party call him liberal. Interesting how card carrying liberals will consider a social moderate a moderate but card carrying conservatives often consider a social moderate a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning