Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

If density is what you want, there are other ways to get it, that's for sure. But to some degree, in order to be "world-class," a city needs them. Heck, even some suburbs have them, even if there is inadequate transit service. And, as the article mentions, some want to live in the highest place in the tallest building possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If density is what you want, there are other ways to get it, that's for sure. But to some degree, in order to be "world-class," a city needs them. Heck, even some suburbs have them, even if there is inadequate transit service. And, as the article mentions, some want to live in the highest place in the tallest building possible.
Why does a city need skyscrapers to be world class? Who pays any attention to the relatively few tall buildings in London and Paris?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why does a city need skyscrapers to be world class? Who pays any attention to the relatively few tall buildings in London and Paris?
I don't think they are needed, unless there's a defined functional need that's determined at the time of design and build. I think a lot of people see them as icons of greatness or grandeur, but they rarely add to the quality of street life/activity. In some cases, they suck too many people off the street, reducing vibrancy (e.g. creating dead zones).

There is something to be said for a great skyline, but these notions of "cities need skyscrapers because of hopes of greatness" seem superficial to me.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Cities like London, Paris, and Rome are grandfathered in. Would anybody pay attention to Kuala Lumpor or Dubai without skyscrapers?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Cities like London, Paris, and Rome are grandfathered in. Would anybody pay attention to Kuala Lumpor or Dubai without skyscrapers?
London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Moscow, Vienna, St. Petersburg, Prague, Budapest, Amsterdam, and others are world class because of their history, contribution to society, culture, etc. They are not exceptions to the skyscraper rule. Can you tell me anything about Dubai other than ridiculous skyscrapers or other building projects? I'll bet nobody can name any museums in Dubai, movements that started in Dubai, or anything like that. In my opinion, these places are not "world class." They are completely fabricated, orchestrated, sterile places. Skyscrapers are definitely overrated.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
Quote:
Dubai is a city that has been created from essentially nothing in the last 20 years, so skyscrapers, the weirder the better, are central to its identity. But most American cities have 100 years or more of history during which their identities have developed. So Baltimore, for example, doesn't need to build a strange tower to identify itself.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
I don’t know about Philly, but most US cities have stopped playing the my-skyscraper-is-bigger-than-your-skyscraper game. The World Trade Center is an exception, but it’s more about emotion and symbolism more than economics and market demand.

The article confuses public and private development. Again, the World Trade Center is unusual in that it’s a quasi-public-owned building, whereas the vast majority of skyscrapers are developed privately. If the market demand isn’t there, developers won’t build, as happened with the American Commerce Center in Philly.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,039 times
Yes, they are. They steal my precious sunlight!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
skyscrapers represent vertical upward sprawl, which is just as bad as the outward kind imo. they create too much density and overcrowding because they concentrate massive numbers of people (and the resulting gridlock) in a very small space (ie: Manhattan). density is a good thing but too much density is not.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM

507 posts, read 807,282 times
I think skyscrapers have become a symbol of status with many countries now trying to boast their skylines, skyscrapers in themselves are not overrated if there is a need but it seems to me many cities mainly abroad are building them for status then for anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning