Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Here's your answer, folks:

More Americans Move to Detached Houses | Newgeography.com

Oklahoma City comes out on top. If you're talking about very large metro areas, it looks like Detroit is the winner.
Thanks of the post.

I found it interesting that my city (San Diego) has the same effective percentage of SFH, 50%+/-, as San Francisco and Boston, two cities that would seem to be far more dense and contain a higher ratio of multi-family housing.

Similar to many cities, the newer housing developments here further away from the core and urban amenities often have as small lots as the very close in, first ring suburbs. You can get more house for your money out there, and even more so in the unincorporated areas of the county but you can't survive without your car and often you still are very close to your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Not too surprised about Detroit being #1 among big cities. What's left of the city proper now is mostly detached homes and the suburbs never really had much multi-family.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
It's funny to see Philly, Baltimore, and DC dominate in the attached housing category - as you'd expect - but Pittsburgh is below 10%. I never would've guessed that.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It's funny to see Philly, Baltimore, and DC dominate in the attached housing category - as you'd expect - but Pittsburgh is below 10%. I never would've guessed that.
The city's a smaller % of metro population than the others, and in the city itself, rowhomes are a minority; it's less consistently rowhome than the others.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I found it interesting that my city (San Diego) has the same effective percentage of SFH, 50%+/-, as San Francisco and Boston, two cities that would seem to be far more dense and contain a higher ratio of multi-family housing.
It's by metro. I look at individual Bay Area counties. San Francisco had a very low detached home %: 19%. San Diego County (the San Diego metro is the same as the county) is 51%. The rest of the San Francisco metro is slightly higher than San Diego County: San Mateo County 57%, Alameda County 53%, Contra Costa County 67%. San Francisco is only a small % of the entire metro, so the average ends up being about the same as San Diego. I wasn't surprised at seeing Los Angeles similar to San Francisco, but I was surprised that San Diego, given my image of it as a sleepy, more "suburban" metro, but apparently San Diego has a lot of apartment infill. By weighted density, San Diego is the third densest western urban area after Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Quote:
Similar to many cities, the newer housing developments here further away from the core and urban amenities often have as small lots as the very close in, first ring suburbs. You can get more house for your money out there, and even more so in the unincorporated areas of the county but you can't survive without your car and often you still are very close to your neighbors.
In the US, that pattern is mostly a western pattern, and especially a Californian one.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The city's a smaller % of metro population than the others, and in the city itself, rowhomes are a minority; it's less consistently rowhome than the others.
Twins are still attached housing and because it's the metro is the very reason i'd expect more rowhomes - at least double digits - because every little borough and mill town has them.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:49 PM

Yeah, so apparently, Pittsburgh only gets up to 15% for rows/twins but then Allegheny County (including Pittsburgh) goes down to 9%. In the suburban counties around PGH it's all in the 3-5% range.

In Baltimore you get 51% in the city, 25% in the county, 21% in Howard Co., even Anne Arundel and Harford Cos. keep in the 17-18% range.

Philly is 60% with the suburban counties between 14% and 31%. Only Gloucester Co. comes in under 10 at 7.5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning