Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows of any communities/municipalities that are more urban than people would realize? I am asking because I was looking up information on this community: Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and I took a look at its streetview, which surprised me: mahanoy city, pa - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows of any communities/municipalities that are more urban than people would realize? I am asking because I was looking up information on this community: Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and I took a look at its streetview, which surprised me: mahanoy city, pa - Google Maps
Pennsylvania is full of places like that, although few of them have a highrise downtown in that manner.

Jim Thope is one of my favorites.

Renovo is like a Philadelphia neighborhood in the middle of nowhere.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Allentown has streets that look like they could be taken out of West Philadelphia:

216 South Madison Street, Allentown, PA - Google Maps

Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Allentown has streets that look like they could be taken out of West Philadelphia:

216 South Madison Street, Allentown, PA - Google Maps
Virtually everywhere in Eastern PA built up before 1900 has a share of rowhouses. Even the smaller-size boroughs

West Chester
Norristown
Downingtown

Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
That street in Allentown looks more like Toronto to me.

What surprises me most about Mahanoy City than the highrise is that it has literally zero suburban areas, and at the same time relatively few obvious signs of decline/abandonment, and few parking lots.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
What surprises me most about Mahanoy City than the highrise is that it has literally zero suburban areas, and at the same time relatively few obvious signs of decline/abandonment, and few parking lots.
If you zoom out a bit, and look to the northwest, Shenandoah looks pretty much the same. So does nearby Tamaqua, or Pottsville.

The norm in that part of the state is dense micro-cities with no suburbs for two reasons. One, these areas were built as mining towns or railroad junctions. They built mass worker housing the way it was being built in Philadelphia at the same time. Two, there was no postwar development (hell, little 20th century development), because they were all things considered pretty isolated rural areas.

Still, I'm always surprised that more of the small cities in Pennsylvania haven't been gentrified. They are an urbanist's dream in terms of built form after all.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM

My god, look what you can buy for $20,000 in Shenandoah.

Though, since I have the money, I think I'd rather buy this, this, or this.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM

406 posts, read 501,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Still, I'm always surprised that more of the small cities in Pennsylvania haven't been gentrified. They are an urbanist's dream in terms of built form after all.
I don't know how you'd be so surprised, it'd seem to me like to gentrify these areas there would need to be at least decent paying, but more so high paying jobs to attract the gentrifiers...something these areas seemingly lack.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
I don't know how you'd be so surprised, it'd seem to me like to gentrify these areas there would need to be at least decent paying, but more so high paying jobs to attract the gentrifiers...something these areas seemingly lack.
The way small isolated towns get gentrified is artists move there, because it's really, really cheap to live, meaning they can get by without having a day job. Once enough artists move in, a few more interesting stores open up. Eventually it could become a tourist trap, as happened to Jim Thorpe. Admittedly, it will likely never go full-on yuppie, but rural small towns which gentrify have their own logical conclusion, as retirees and others who don't have to work for a living edge out the townies.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

The norm in that part of the state is dense micro-cities with no suburbs for two reasons. One, these areas were built as mining towns or railroad junctions. They built mass worker housing the way it was being built in Philadelphia at the same time. Two, there was no postwar development (hell, little 20th century development), because they were all things considered pretty isolated rural areas.
Also, because some of them had severe population loss. Many Western Massachusetts towns stagnated in population, but because household sizes decreased, more housing units were added. Usually even without population growth, there's a few that will pay for new suburban-style housing with a larger lot and newer housing. Likely there was little money in the town to make it worth to build new housing. Shenandoah, PA lost 80% of its population, Mahanoy City lost 65% of its population.

The New England town with the largest population loss (at least that I've found) is North Adams, MA, which has lost 46% of its population. It has gentrified somewhat, owing to its scenic location and gaining a reputation as an arts town. It doesn't really any suburban-style development either, or much of any 20th century. Instead of row houses, it has two family (and single family) homes close together.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=north...92.26,,0,-8.69

downtown is decent for its size:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=north...328.5,,0,-2.39

Quote:
Maybe. But most urbanists aren't looking for "I want a row house anywhere" but to live in a lively "hip" community. There's little incentive for people to move to an insular, economically stagnant (maybe even deprived) blue-collar community.

Some Hudson Valley and New England towns have turned into arts towns. It helps to be near, though outside, a major metro area or have a college. And there are lots of small towns, only so many can be turned into hip small towns. Artists like flock to where other artists are, especially where well-off visitors frequently pass by to consume their art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning