Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What is this, a modern-day inquisition?

No, I don't bike to the grocery store. I've had hip surgery and I'm afraid of falling and ruining my hip and having to have more surgery. TMI? Don't ask nosey questions. When there was a grocery store .8 mi from my house, I did walk sometimes, even though it's basically .8 mi uphill to walk home, with the groceries. When we lived on a flat area, before I had surgery, I took my bike with two little kids in the trailer.

There are some bike paths that you can take down the hill. The nearest grocery is now 2 mi. way. Even though there is a sea of parking, people who want to ride bikes amazingly find they can do so, and can lock their bikes up even though there is not, I don't think, a bike rack.

When we had a closer grocery store, I used to see some neighbors walking home from the grocery with their Safeway bags. (That's how I knew they'd been to the store.)
Then you understand what it means to have options rather than force everyone in the suburbs to be car dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then you understand what it means to have options rather than force everyone in the suburbs to be car dependent.
Who's forcing anyone to be car dependent?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Who's forcing anyone to be car dependent?
If one wants to live in a suburban community and doesn't want to be car dependent, they are usually out of luck unless they can move to the select few suburban areas that does have options.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 PM

Of course now we are just getting off topic with these tangents so we should probably try and move back to the OP topic.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
If one wants to live in a suburban community and doesn't want to be car dependent, they are usually out of luck unless they can move to the select few suburban areas that does have options.
I disagree that it's a select few suburban areas that have options.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I disagree that it's a select few suburban areas that have options.
Well I wish you were right.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So I guess since everyplace has to be the same and since in most of America PT is at a disadvantage, it follows that PT is always at a disadvantage. This is obviously false.
I believe he was generalizing. It is true that in most situations in most places public transit is at a disadvantage.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Well I wish you were right.
What the hey? Where are you getting this from, other than NU rantings by people who never go to the suburbs, that you have to be car dependent if you live in the burbs?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
What the hey? Where are you getting this from, other than NU rantings by people who never go to the suburbs, that you have to be car dependent if you live in the burbs?
Or maybe others got a different conclusion than you.

By living in the burbs, visiting others. How practical is it to not use a car in most suburbs? Would be very limiting for most and/or inconvenient or time consuming? I think I remember you mentioning parking as a "necessity" and cars needed for "modern living". If they are where you live, how is it not car dependent?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Or maybe others got a different conclusion than you.

By living in the burbs, visiting others. How practical is it to not use a car in most suburbs? Would be very limiting for most and/or inconvenient or time consuming? I think I remember you mentioning parking as a "necessity" and cars needed for "modern living". If they are where you live, how is it not car dependent?
Well, well, well! We're not supposed to dredge up old posts or threads, now are we? I seriously doubt that I said the latter, possibly the former b/c people are seriously NOT going to give up their cars b/c the urbanists want them to. How many people on this forum are totally car-less? I think not using a car would be very limiting/inconvenient for most people in the city living a family lifestyle. The people who are walking/biking to the grocery stores probably don't eat 50% of their meals at home. If you're cooking dinner for a family of four 5-7 days a week, you need a lot more groceries than you do if you cook once "in a blue moon" to impress a date. If you have kids to get to music lessons, sports practice, etc, it's highly inconvenient to do w/o a car, no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning