Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:21 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I believe www.millcreekpark.com is the 2nd largest city park outside of Central Park in NY. It is really amazing, boardmanite!
Central Park isn't the largest urban park in the U.S. There are several that are larger, including Golden Gate Park in SF and Lincoln Park in Chicago. It was likely the first though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Central Park isn't the largest urban park in the U.S. There are several that are larger, including Golden Gate Park in SF and Lincoln Park in Chicago. It was likely the first though.
Yeah....actually Central Park isn't even the largest park in NYC....it's like third or fourth.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 AM

266 posts, read 911,653 times
A little off-topic--the best kids' park I've been to--as in playground area--is in Alamagordo, NM--city park right in the center of town. If you're ever there with your kids, check it out, they'll love it! Biggest playground park I've ever seen, and it's custom built.

Rock Creek Park in DC is very familiar to DC-area residents, not so familiar to out-of-towners--it's beautiful and worth checking out.

Hard to beat Central Park! Valley Forge Park in the suburbs of Philadelphia is very nice for a stroll or picnic.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:47 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
The Franklin Mountains are part of the city of El Paso. They divide the city in half.
Though they are not officially a city park but a state park, this natural scenic area is HUGE.
Don't think any other major city has anything like this.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 12-28-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-29-2007, 06:23 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
The Franklin Mountains are part of the city of El Paso. They divide the city in half.
Though they are not officially a city park but a state park, this natural scenic area is HUGE.
Don't think any other major city has anything like this.
Sounds wonderful! Does it have any park facilities? It probably has at least a few hiking trails and campsites. Do you have any photos? I know very little about El Paso, but it is sounding more and more interesting.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,931 times
Lincoln Park in Chicago and Central Park (NYC) are tied for my favorites. Third is Boston Common. Fourth is the Canal Park in Indy. Fifth is Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. Anyone ever been to the Central Canal?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Sorry, it's the 2nd largest Metropolitan park in the U.S. Whatever that means?????

Quote:
Mill Creek Park is a metropolitan park located in Youngstown, Ohio. It is the second largest metropolitan park in the United States after Fairmount Park in Philadelphia.
Mill Creek Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Mill Creek Park is the largest area of the MetroParks encompassing 2,882 acres of the MetroParks' 4,400 acres.
Mill Creek MetroParks | Mill Creek Park

My friend visited from Los Angeles this summer and he loved it. He was really quite surprised with how nice it was considering the things he's heard about Youngstown.

It's really quite beautiful there..............

A view of the city from the park........

Youngstown State's football stadium can be seen in the center of this pic

Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,945 times
Golden Gate Park in SF is definitely my favorite urban park.
Boston Commons in Boston ranks right up there with Golden Gate IMO.
Seattle Centre in Seattle is a very well positioned park and surrounded by the Space Needle, skyline, and houses in a very green landscape.
Hermann Park and Memorial Park in Houston are both great parks.
Zilker Park in Austin is very nice.
NYC's Central Park is the ultimate urban American park.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynchapin View Post
Tell me what your favorite urban park is in the country and why. These are mine:

1-Prospect Park (Brooklyn, NY) More serene and naturalistic lil bro of Central Park
Actually, Frederick Law Olmsted considered Prospect Park to be his masterpiece. Not that he wasn't pleased with Central Park (or Branch Brook Park in Newark, which he also designed). But he felt that Prospect was the best.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Here's a few pictures fo Cameron Park in Waco Texas:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_x-VaQT7qXwA/RqWHogNbRoI/AAAAAAAAALc/sUtLqSp37Bw/Ronda_Comer_071707_61.JPG (broken link)
Picasa Web Albums - Ronda - 2007 BFA Nati...

http://www.waco-texas.com/city_depts/parks/images/CPEAST.JPG (broken link)
http://www.waco-texas.com/city_depts/parks/images/CPEAST.JPG (broken link)

What adventures I would have... on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning