Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:19 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times

Advertisements

In 1959 I drove from San Diego to NY, there were no interstates. A few states had built turnpikes, which were toll roads. The Penn turnpike was the first, others came later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 03:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Would've loved to have lived in one of the major midwestern / northern cities during the 1940s. If for no other reason but to witness what life was life in urban America during war time.
Well it was just after WWII, but I was born in 1946 in Chicago so I was a kid partially in the 40's and then in the 50's. I get a laugh out of what people today call a "walkable neighborhood" believing these places to have the amenities and necessities of neighborhoods of the past. The urban neighborhoods back then were truly walkable with everything you could possibly want within walking distance of where one lived. That also included schools where kids could walk to.

I would say that besides all the reasons already being given here as to what happened, one of the main reasons was the fact that more people acquired cars who did not have them before the war. It make it easier to get to the 'burbs where houses were cheap. Having a car was the death knell for the little ma and pa stores that serviced the city neighborhoods because people didn't need to live near them any longer.

Just one factor but I think one worth mentioning.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:32 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well it was just after WWII, but I was born in 1946 in Chicago so I was a kid partially in the 40's and then in the 50's. I get a laugh out of what people today call a "walkable neighborhood" believing these places to have the amenities and necessities of neighborhoods of the past. The urban neighborhoods back then were truly walkable with everything you could possibly want within walking distance of where one lived. That also included schools where kids could walk to.

I would say that besides all the reasons already being given here as to what happened, one of the main reasons was the fact that more people acquired cars who did not have them before the war. It make it easier to get to the 'burbs where houses were cheap. Having a car was the death knell for the little ma and pa stores that serviced the city neighborhoods because people didn't need to live near them any longer.

Good post. Cars and the freeways built to accommodate them were very destructive of city neighborhoods. A good example is the Cross-Bronx Expressway in New York City. It obliterated solid working class neighborhoods like East Tremont and blighted every area it passed through.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Good post. Cars and the freeways built to accommodate them were very destructive of city neighborhoods.
Do note Minervah did not mention freeways.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:38 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,581 times
The proliferation of air-conditioning which led to the sprawling Sunbelt cities - all built with the private automobile in mind.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:42 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,581 times
Quote:

Exactly! When I was a kid in Portland in the early 60s we had at least 4 ma & pa grocery stores a block in any direction. Now we only find them in densely populated cities like SF & NYC.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
Exactly! When I was a kid in Portland in the early 60s we had at least 4 ma & pa grocery stores a block in any direction. Now we only find them in densely populated cities like SF & NYC.
And they were expensive, had poor and outdated merchandise.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:35 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And they were expensive, had poor and outdated merchandise.
Do note that puerco did not mention cost or quality of the merchandise.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
They do not. During the 1980s, when Washington D.C. was a basket case, the Maryland and Virginia suburbs thrived. When NYC was a war zone, NJ businesses prospered; with NYC thriving, many NJ suburbs have actually suffered loss of businesses. The suburbs of Baltimore are doing quite well; Baltimore city is not -- this pattern is seen more strongly in Detroit.
Washington DC suburbs are still thriving. In the 1970s, NYC suburbs didn't do that great, either. NYC suburbs haven't seen as much job growth as the city, but many are rather affluent and few haven't become poorer.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Would you say that's true of neighborhoods of Chicago today described as walkable compared to when you grew up in them. I doubt NYC neighborhoods have changed much in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning