Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 06:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
For the people that object to cars it's because they oppose people having control over their own lives; going where they want to and when they want to.
c'mon, you really think those that don't like cars hate having control of their own life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 07:10 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
c'mon, you really think those that don't like cars hate having control of their own life?

You've participated, I think, in some of the self-driving car threads so I sometimes wonder. You'll have people who claim they're afraid to drive and will be deliriously happy when all the cars on the road are self-driving and they won't be afraid any more. So yes, I do think there is a subset of people who are like that.

I do know that there is a subset of people who want to control how many cars, as well as other things, a person owns. I run into them quite often when I'm wearing one of my other hats.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
There are two reactions that come to mind for posts like these:

First is to ask, who are these people that you're talking about?

Second ​is to return the hyperbole by suggesting that the people who are against improving public transportation and walkability are opposed to people having control over their own lives; being forced to own a car, live as a second class citizen, or move to the 0.5% (made up number) of the country where a car still isn't necessary to live a normal life.
Who are we talking about? Speaking for myself, many of the posters on this forum. Those who are always advocating Uber/Lyft, etc as a remedy for car ownership, meaning people are always being dependent on someone else for their transportation. There are enough posts in this thread as examples. That is entirely different from supporting improved public transit and walkability, which I have supported over and OVER again. I've also said that people are unlikely to give up their personal transportation, no mater what CD's posters want them to do.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-17-2017 at 07:27 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 07:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You've participated, I think, in some of the self-driving car threads so I sometimes wonder. You'll have people who claim they're afraid to drive and will be deliriously happy when all the cars on the road are self-driving and they won't be afraid any more. So yes, I do think there is a subset of people who are like that.
How does that show they don't like have control over their lives? It shows they have a fear of driving.

I don't think I have much; I never had much interest in those threads. I don't remember that many posters particularly enthusiastic about them, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How does that show they don't like have control over their lives? It shows they have a fear of driving.

I don't think I have much; I never had much interest in those threads. I don't remember that many posters particularly enthusiastic about them, but I could be wrong.

They may have a fear of driving but they also wish to extend their control of others out to the imposition of technology on everyone.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They may have a fear of driving but they also wish to extend their control of others out to the imposition of technology on everyone.
Eh, just because someone doesn't pilot a car or pay the insane cost of a personal vehicle, it doesn't mean you don't have control over your life. I can go anyplace I want without asking or being restricted. If I have to wait for a train a bit, how is that any different than being stuck in traffic or dealing with a detour?

More people should be fearful of driving, given the danger. But that doesn't equate to not wanting to be in control of your own life.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Eh, just because someone doesn't pilot a car or pay the insane cost of a personal vehicle, it doesn't mean you don't have control over your life. I can go anyplace I want without asking or being restricted. If I have to wait for a train a bit, how is that any different than being stuck in traffic or dealing with a detour?

More people should be fearful of driving, given the danger. But that doesn't equate to not wanting to be in control of your own life.
No it doesn't. But that people like personal transportation is evident in car ownership. How long have I been saying that on this forum? Longer than I can remember. Cars caught on because people liked the idea of personal transportation that did not involve keeping a horse or horses and hitching them up to a carriage.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Who are we talking about? Speaking for myself, many of the posters on this forum. Those who are always advocating Uber/Lyft, etc as a remedy for car ownership, meaning people are always being dependent on someone else for their transportation. There are enough posts in this thread as examples. That is entirely different from supporting improved public transit and walkability, which I have supported over and OVER again. I've also said that people are unlikely to give up their personal transportation, no mater what CD's posters want them to do.
Advocating Uber/Lyft as an alternative to car ownership, is like advocating renting a Uhaul truck as an alternative to owning your own F-650. So, if you recommend that someone just rent from Uhaul, instead of owning their own commercial vehicle, for those occasions when you need a large vehicle, does that mean you want everyone who owns a commercial vehicle to give it up?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,456,196 times
Quote:
Eh, just because someone doesn't pilot a car or pay the insane cost of a personal vehicle, it doesn't mean you don't have control over your life.
Sure it does if the reason you don't or can't have one is due to restrictions imposed by others.

Quote:
I can go anyplace I want without asking or being restricted. If I have to wait for a train a bit, how is that any different than being stuck in traffic or dealing with a detour?
There are quite a few differences. You don't wait on a car - the car serves you. You leave when you want to. You have many additional options including much greater control over your immediate environment and the route taken. You don't have that when waiting for the train or riding the train. Cars offer access to a much wider variety of people. A train at best only serves those that have a way of getting to the station with no need to be anywhere other than as permitted by the train schedule and route and who have no need to transport anything other than themselves.

Quote:
The complaint is that there is a contingent of people that don't want other people to be in control of those other people's own lives. This contingent appears to promote or even mandate dependency.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 03-17-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Advocating Uber/Lyft as an alternative to car ownership, is like advocating renting a Uhaul truck as an alternative to owning your own F-650. So, if you recommend that someone just rent from Uhaul, instead of owning their own commercial vehicle, for those occasions when you need a large vehicle, does that mean you want everyone who owns a commercial vehicle to give it up?
That's an odd twist of logic. How often do you need a large truck? The last time we needed one was about 10 years ago, when we gave our daughter a couch that we drove to her apartment. And no, I don't have such an interest in what kind of vehicles, if any, that other people have. That's an issue here. We have a few posters who not only want to make Uber/Lyft their transportation, they don't want anyone else to have a car or a truck, either.

I have no problem with people who choose not to own an automobile. I'd just like to get it through their skulls that some people like having some personal transportation immediately available. Uber/Lyft is NOT a substitute for having your own car. Before cars, people had other means of personal transportation,e.g. horses and buggies, other pack animals. People have this stuff, and put up with the expense, because they want it, not because they've all been duped by the auto industry, which is another recurring theme on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning