Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The poster hasn't been a regular on the forum and is unaware of past forum arguments. Doubt it means much to him. I think people are generally referring to density or walkability not city limits.

Wall to wall people would be more dense, not less dense.
He just gave his definition.

There are just a lot of people there, period. The idea that SF is a city w/o sprawl is laughable. SF was the original city, before all these burbs that aren't burbs according to some of their apologists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 11:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

There are just a lot of people there, period. The idea that SF is a city w/o sprawl is laughable. SF was the original city, before all these burbs that aren't burbs according to some of their apologists.
Still don't get what the bolded has to do with a sprawl discussion. How about their density? Actually Oakland and Berkeley grew at about the same time as San Francisco, maybe slightly later but they were rather separate from each other due to the bay separation. Regardless of whether they're suburbs or not, their densities among other inner Bay suburbs are relatively high, at least for US standards.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Endless development is what the SF area is, IMO, and I haven't even been there since 1987.
It's denser in just about any postwar development outside of California, so somewhat less sprawly. But the bigger reason it feels not that sprawly to me is that if you away from the bay (only 5 miles in many places), you're quickly in preserved land, so it doesn't feel endless in that direction. Boston feels a lot more sprawly to me.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:37 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
San Francisco and Portland come to mind as larger cities where you can be in nature a half hour from the core. But not in rush hour of course!
What are you talking about? Both these cities have sprawl. All cities do. Especially in this country. Jay

Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Still don't get what the bolded has to do with a sprawl discussion. How about their density? Actually Oakland and Berkeley grew at about the same time as San Francisco, maybe slightly later but they were rather separate from each other due to the bay separation. Regardless of whether they're suburbs or not, their densities among other inner Bay suburbs are relatively high, at least for US standards.
Quote:
It's denser in just about any postwar development outside of California, so somewhat less sprawly. But the bigger reason it feels not that sprawly to me is that if you away from the bay (only 5 miles in many places), you're quickly in preserved land, so it doesn't feel endless in that direction. Boston feels a lot more sprawly to me.
Taking these both together. I can't be on here long; I have to finish cleaning up my house for a big dinner tomorrow w/the extended fam, including a guy who is allergic to cats! Gotta vacuum up all the cat hair.

SF was/is the big Kahuna. I don't remember the technical term, but let's say "alpha city". That's where people went "the summer of love", not to Oakland or Berkley or Mountain View or wherever. Now some did say they wanted to go to Berkley to college, but that's about it. People have been migrating to CA for forever, too. We just discussed this on the Denver forum recently: http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...y-natives.html It was a long time before people even said "SF-O". (San Francisco-Oakland) In the 70s, I knew a lot of people who went out to SF. That's where they said they were going, not these other places. Now for the most part, they landed in suburbs, e.g. Concord, Walnut Creek, etc. I get it, each of these burbs has its own personality, just like every city I have ever lived in. (Well, that's just two big ones, three if you count Wilmington, Delaware which is basically a suburb of Philadelphia itself.) But yeah, it's no different than Pittsburgh or Denver in that regard.

But for G*d's sake, it's the 11th largest MSA, 5th largest CSA (Wikipedia). There are just a lot of people there, whether it's dense or not. Denver, by contrast, is #19 MSA and #16 CSA.

The city where I lived which had little sprawl is Champaign-Urbana, IL. Cheyenne, Wyo also has little sprawl.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It's the 11th largest MSA, 5th largest CSA (Wikipedia). There are just a lot of people there, whether it's dense or not. Denver, by contrast, is #19 MSA and #16 CSA.

The city where I lived which had little sprawl is Champaign-Urbana, IL. Cheyenne, Wyo also has little sprawl.
My point was the San Francisco are is denser I didn't mention population, you don't really respond to my second post. If you're just going by population size, the larger cities would be more sprawled.

Quote:
SF was/is the big Kahuna. I don't remember the technical term, but let's say "alpha city". That's where people went "the summer of love", not to Oakland or Berkley or Mountain View or wherever. Now some did say they wanted to go to Berkley to college, but that's about it.
Oakland was more separate pre-Bay Bridge (before 1930s), which is the time I think you meant by original.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What are you talking about? Both these cities have sprawl. All cities do. Especially in this country. Jay
Some cities are easier to be "in nature in 30 minutes" than others. San Francisco, yes. Portland, not as sure.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
My point was the San Francisco are is denser I didn't mention population, you don't really respond to my second post. If you're just going by population size, the larger cities would be more sprawled.

Oakland was more separate pre-Bay Bridge (before 1930s), which is the time I think you meant by original.
Well, my memory doesn't go back *that* far. I mean, it doesn't go back to pre-birth, no. But even in the 70s, people talked about "San Francisco". Oakland was considered somewhat declasse then.

Quote:
Some cities are easier to be "in nature in 30 minutes" than others. San Francisco, yes. Portland, not as sure.
You can be in nature in Central Park in NYC. That's not the point. That area is yes, densely populated. It's not rural or wildland by any extreme stretch of reality.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
You can be in nature in Central Park in NYC. That's not the point. That area is yes, densely populated. It's not rural or wildland by any extreme stretch of reality.
Eh, I wouldn't call Central Park truly natural. 30 minutes from San Francisco puts you in the Marin Headlands which seemed like wildland to me:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...4d-122.4194155

I wasn't referring of city parks, though the parks at the NW end felt rather natural, especially if one goes there after dark without a light

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8028...8i6656!6m1!1e1

But no, only small pockets of San Francisco are natural. But the western halves of both the county to the north and south is undeveloped.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8028...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Large US cities without sprawl is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning