Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Portland literally has a belt of forested hills on the south and west side of its downtown:
It's a great park, but it's 3 miles or so wide and then back to suburbs. The San Francisco preserved land doesn't have development on the other side other than ocean (west of the bay) or is 8+ miles of greenbelt (east of bay).

Vancouver is another city with natural land close to downtown, even more so. But the OP asked for US cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's a great park, but it's 3 miles or so wide and then back to suburbs. The San Francisco preserved land doesn't have development on the other side other than ocean (west of the bay) or is 8+ miles of greenbelt (east of bay).

Vancouver is another city with natural land close to downtown, even more so. But the OP asked for US cities.
The OP asked for cities without sprawl. There is no way on earth you can convince me the Bay Area does not have sprawl, no matter how many pictures of pristine area you put up.

We discussed something like this once before, about how far you had to go to find open/rural land from various cities, but with CD's sucky search engine, I can't find my post that shows Denver.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I'm not trying to argue the Bay Area has no sprawl, nor did I say it doesn't anywhere. The point of the pictures (well other than i like posting my photos) is that pristine land near is outside development not in the midst.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:17 PM

491 posts, read 474,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well it sounded like you were curious about Long Island! Paragraph, was just a link to photos, didn't they look out of development? My examples were outside (and earlier), not in the midst of the urban area (MSA is county lines so technically still in the midst of a MSA). I'm not talking about a city park. I'm not sure what's hard to get

gray is developed area. most of the green is preserved land, it's not in the midst of a big MSA, it's outside. Distance from light gray to green is short in most of the Bay Area

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BayareaUSGS.jpg
San Francisco has a lot of sprawl. That's a very zoomed out satellite image of the San Francisco Bay Area. It's huge. It's a huge suburb. Those are covering large distances. Also, the reason why they don't build on those green areas is because they are tall mountains and you can't easily build on them. Otherwise, they would've built on them. The fact that they're willing to go out as far as they do, shows you just how much of a sprawl there is.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:38 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
San Francisco has a lot of sprawl. That's a very zoomed out satellite image of the San Francisco Bay Area. It's huge. It's a huge suburb. Those are covering large distances. Also, the reason why they don't build on those green areas is because they are tall mountains and you can't easily build on them. Otherwise, they would've built on them. The fact that they're willing to go out as far as they do, shows you just how much of a sprawl there is.
I think Nei was trying to say that it's not that hard to get to wilderness/rural lands from SF despite its sprawl. You just have to cross the Golden Gate Bridge, and bam you are out of the urban landscape, whereas cities such as Atlanta or Boston you have travel pretty far to get outside of the urban/suburban lands. So SF has an illusion of not being sprawly because you can escape it fairly easily.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think Nei was trying to say that it's not that hard to get to wilderness/rural lands from SF despite its sprawl. You just have to cross the Golden Gate Bridge, and bam you are out of the urban landscape, whereas cities such as Atlanta or Boston you have travel pretty far to get outside of the urban/suburban lands. So SF has an illusion of not being sprawly because you can escape it fairly easily.
yep. Thanks. Thinking in particular "how long do I have to bike to be in rural-ish / undeveloped land" from somewhere close to the city center-ish. I'm not sure how Seattle goes by this measure. I think worse, if only because it has a more regular geography than San Francisco.

=========================================

Added up the component urban areas of the Bay Area to compare land usage

Bay Area: 6.15 million people in 1192 square miles
Denver: 2.49 million people in 701 square miles
Boston: 4.19 million people in 1,874 square miles
Seattle: 3.01 million people in 1,010 square miles

Last edited by nei; 04-17-2017 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: miscalculation

Old 04-16-2017, 10:41 PM

491 posts, read 474,006 times
Quote:
Yeah, that is a unique feature of city, although, I'd say some place like Portland or Vancouver would probably be better. Especially since a lot of that area where the Golden Gate Bridge is really just mountains and not very accessible. It's still very scenic though.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:02 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
No one has mentioned Key West, FL. It's on a small island with nowhere else to grow. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Juneau, AK, a small city hemmed-in by mountains and by water. Including even its airport, which pilots find difficult.

Savannah, GA, immediately across the river from its downtown, seems to have no development at all on the SC side, except a convention center. I think the land is too swampy or unsuitable.

Richmond, VA, becomes rural very quickly to the east, and southeast of downtown (down-river). But it sprawls greatly in all other directions, especially to the west for many miles.

Last edited by slowlane3; 04-17-2017 at 04:15 AM..

Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
An illusion, yes. It's not really true though. Go to Cheyenne, Wyoming and you'll see the difference.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 AM

I was saying feels to me...

A comparison with a place 1/50th the population is kinda unfair. Even a metro with all sprawly development would end shortly. For a large city, non-developed land is really close to San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning