Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
I mean 3500£ per year for zones 1-9, that's just too much. I guess most of people pay "as they go" because else you must be seriously rich
Zones 7 - 9 (and lettered zones) start at over 16 miles from Central London, so you are looking at places well outside of London such as Amersham (30 miles away) in Buckinghamshire or Gatwick in Sussex (over 40 miles away) or Thurrock in Essex (25 miles away) etc etc. So these zones are regional rather than specific to London itself or to London Transport.

List of stations in London fare zones 7–W - Wikipedia

It's unlikely anyone would want full coverage of all London Transport 1 to 6 and zones 7 to 9. It is more realistic that they would buy an annual rail season ticket for just one rail line that would take them in to a Central London Station and then use an oyster card in relation to zones 1 and 2 if they needed to use any other form of transport on arrival.

Rail seasons tickets in to London are expensive, and you would have to have a very well paid job in London if you lived over forty to fifty miles away in order to make it worthwhile. Then again wages in London and the South East region are far higher than elsewhere, and this reflects the high costs of living.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-03-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 01:33 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
I mean 3500£ per year for zones 1-9, that's just too much. I guess most of people pay "as they go" because else you must be seriously rich
What do you pay for your car?

Old 09-03-2017, 02:50 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
What do you pay for your car?
I pay 450 euros per year, unlimited and all included (equivalent to this 1-9 in London) in Paris, and I have a car too. That has the price of a normal car.

That's the difference

Old 09-03-2017, 03:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
my mom pays $4200 / year for a LIRR monthly; not really any different and any subway trip would be an added cost [fare integration is a wonderful thing]. Though it's for a 35 mile train trip.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC subway is significantly better than the Tube. Larger carriages, longer trains, express-local network, more stations, more route miles, more infrastructure, greater proportion underground, 24-7 service.
Umm, maybe for a few things. But London's subway is more modern in a number of ways. Train carriages are connected between cars which reduces crowding and makes it easier to leave a bad car. Trains have positive train control rather than ancient block signaling, only a couple NYC lines have that. Express service is less necessary as station spacing outside the city center is larger, resulting in higher overall speeds.

One plus of the NYC system is a denser station network near the city center than London; but this partially from geography and higher residential densities.

Quote:
NYC subway also has 50% higher ridership than London, despite being in a vastly more auto-oriented nation.
mainly because a lot of London's rail ridership is on mainline / London Overground rail which is more frequent than NYC commuter rail. There's more gaps in NYC that don't have frequent rail than London.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
my mom pays $4200 / year for a LIRR monthly; not really any different and any subway trip would be an added cost [fare integration is a wonderful thing]. Though it's for a 35 mile train trip.
About 24 cents per mile. Competitive with driving costs, if you're willing to include total costs. But many US transit systems are much cheaper. Trirail offers a monthly pass $100 for a 72 mile distance. The best deal is NM rail runner, an annual pass for $1200 from Belen to Santa Fe, 100 miles. Only 2.5 cents per mile!

Last edited by pvande55; 09-03-2017 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 09-03-2017, 11:33 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
I pay 450 euros per year, unlimited and all included (equivalent to this 1-9 in London) in Paris, and I have a car too. That has the price of a normal car.

That's the difference
i meant the cost of buying, parking, and operating your car. That's what the Tube is competing with.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's expensive!!!

Old 09-04-2017, 03:23 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:

That's the difference
As already explained, Zones 7-9 and any alphabetic zones are not Transport for London Zones they are part of Network Rail and start at 16 miles away from London, with many of the areas over 40 miles from London.

It's the same with NYC, if you come in along one of the rail lines from a distance then it's going to cost a sizeable amount, neither London or NYC pretend to be cheap. The real difference is that NYC needs a long term plan in relation to investing more in it's subway and transports systems, especially as they now have record demand.

In terms of travelling by car in to London it's going to be just as expensive with congestion charges and parking fees.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-04-2017 at 03:42 AM..

Old 09-04-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
i meant the cost of buying, parking, and operating your car. That's what the Tube is competing with.
I don't know prices in London when it comes to car owning -expensive probably-, but I pay the Navigo pass in Paris 32.5 euros per month. That's one week of travel card in the zone 1 of the Tube (33£). Or 75euros per month in Paris for people without a job/internship/apprentice (1/2 reimbursed automatically (mandatory) for them)... Which is two weeks of zone 1 for the Tube (66£).
Difference is, that 32.5 or 75euros payed per month gives you access to everything unlimited, even if it's 60 km away.

So yeah, I'm chocked by the price of the Tube...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning