Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:22 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Exactly, I'm sure most people even in the worst projects were/are law abiding. I don't consider smoking weed to be a real crime, lol.

And is it just me, or does Boston seem less integrated than New York? The city has a large black population yet I felt like I didn't see that many while I was there.
I have family there and most love in Mattapan and Dorchester and I think a third area.

Haven’t really been to other areas other than those three!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
New York City simply has no other place to put the vast numbers of "poor" or whatever that are in NYCHA (New York City Housing Authority) units. Private landlords won't touch most or all with a barge pole for various reasons. So any attempt to move those people out so property could be redeveloped would be difficult and met with resistance.

Thus far NYC has torn down/redeveloped only one major NYCHA housing project; the Markham Homes on Staten Island. These were two story garden style homes originally built during WWII to house workers and their families from various defense/docks along the island's shores. When war ended it became housing for returning vets and their families.

By the 1970's or so it finally became low income housing for mostly minorities as whites fled. In any event the place had become worn down, run down, and obsolete so feds to City of New York they weren't going to get anymore more money for maintenance and repair. Main grounding behind this was fact the housing was built as "temporary" from the start and thus had far outlived its useful life.

Moving those residents was a colossal effort, and sadly many of them exported their same habits to whatever new housing (public or whatever) they were shifted.

https://nypost.com/2005/03/28/treasu...roject-doomed/

Some former residents of Staten Island's Markham Gardens not eligible to return | SILive.com

https://citylimits.org/2005/04/26/extreme-makeover/

Another reason why NYC cannot or will not tear down most housing estates is that many (especially in Manhattan) are in otherwise prime real estate areas. Even once ghetto/hood areas like Lower East Side, East Village, Harlem, Upper West Side, Chelsea, etc... are now very desirable (well outside of the projects). Thus people who live in those projects get to live in areas they never could afford today otherwise as rents/housing prices in NYC are going through the roof.

Finally blacks and other minorities are well aware of the process that created most of NYC housing projects; urban renewal. That process was also known at the time by many in the minority community as "Negro Removal" since it was mainly low income, ghetto, minority "slum" areas that were declared *blighted* thus clearing way for land to be taken and redeveloped. Thus whenever anyone starts talking about redevelopment of NYCHA properties, people have seen that movie before.

For those of you that do not know the story; area/land where Lincoln Center is built along with surrounding area was once a "slum". You can see bits of it in film West Side Story as the vacant buildings had yet to be torn down. Today that area has a NYCHA housing estate called "Lincoln Towers"

West Side Story - Prologue - (PopSpots)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbzvxpzvS-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-aH0zz1L38
NYC also tore down Prospect Plaza in Brownsville (technically Ocean Hill) also!

Old 04-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Yea Lincoln center has to be a ghetto and many old time John Jay professors will tell you how studenrs we’re afraid to go to class in other buildings. And my school is right next to Lincoln Projects!

Only issue is I don’t see affordable grocery stores around for people who live in those buildings. I could imagine there was a few but they probably got torn down for those luxury hi rises popping up all over the place.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:52 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
speaking of sets, my boy won an award as a writer at the mystic river housing complex. they made a public access documentary for him:

roubbins-cube

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 04-07-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 03:34 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Austin has the Rebecca Baines Johnson center at 16 stories reserved for those over 62.

Rebekah Baines Johnson Center

Maybe that is the secret. If you want to concentrate low income populations but not have the issues with crime, make it only for those beyond that phase in their lives. I live in this neighborhood and the RBJ high rise is probably the quietest part.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:06 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Chicago has plenty I'm sure. Maybe Detroit?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I have family there and most love in Mattapan and Dorchester and I think a third area.

Haven’t really been to other areas other than those three!
Mattapan, Dorchester and Roxbury.

Boston isn’t very integrated but neither is New York. Dorchester is somewhat mixed these days. Mattapan and Roxbury are heavily people of color but lots of diversity among them. Other Boston districts and nearly cities are quite diverse incl Brighton, Roslindale, Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, East Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea, Everett and Malden.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post

Boston isn’t very integrated but neither is New York. Dorchester is somewhat mixed these days. Mattapan and Roxbury are heavily people of color but lots of diversity among them. Other Boston districts and nearly cities are quite diverse incl Brighton, Roslindale, Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, East Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea, Everett and Malden.
Hyde Park is the third area. Never been to Roxbury!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:58 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post

I don't have a lot of experience with Boston, but I do find New York to be considerably more integrated.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
^ according to the atlantic, it isnt:
Top 10 Most Segregated Cities in the US

boston has a reputation for being racist and only caucasion (irish) which is only half-true and half-hyperbolic; so, its easy for people to presume things such as the above -- i'm actually not picking on you; just an example.

n.y.c. actually has the opposite reputation. e.g.:
Criteria to be considered "Black Mecca"

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 04-11-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning