Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 12:49 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Indeed! Right next door!
Another interesting tidbit is Carowinds (a Cedar Fair large amusement park) is located in both North and South Carolina. The address is technically Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 08:04 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Out west, of course, all big metros are in one state because the states are so big. I can’t think of any that straddle two states. In LA or Denver or Portland, when people are fed up with the city they just move to a suburb they like as opposed to moving to a different state.

Oh, just remembered one western metro that straddles two states: Kansas City.
Also besides Portland which I replied to you about, there is also Spokane, sure it’s not a major city but it does spill over into Idaho. Coeur d'Alene Is part of Spokan’s CSA, and El Paso also spills into New Mexico.

Last edited by grega94; 09-28-2021 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 07:23 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I'm not really understanding the point here.

I know that New York has a nonresident income tax for people who earn money there and live elsewhere, and I suspect most large cities and states do. It makes perfect sense, since the economic activity that results in earnings in the city, even if you live in the suburbs, creates costs for the city government and the city has to recover them somehow. The principle that cost-causers pay militates in favor of the commuter tax. (You can bet that New York also sends a tax bill to every visiting baseball, basketball, football, and hockey player for the fraction of their salary created by playing games in New York, too, by the way.)

If you prefer living in the suburbs, whether it's because you may have lower taxes, or you prefer to live in a single-family home, or for any other reason, you can certainly do that. I think most of the factors are the same whether you're crossing a state line or not.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:39 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

I know that New York has a nonresident income tax for people who earn money there and live elsewhere, and I suspect most large cities and states do. It makes perfect sense, since the economic activity that results in earnings in the city, even if you live in the suburbs, creates costs for the city government and the city has to recover them somehow. The principle that cost-causers pay militates in favor of the commuter tax. (You can bet that New York also sends a tax bill to every visiting baseball, basketball, football, and hockey player for the fraction of their salary created by playing games in New York, too, by the way.)

If you prefer living in the suburbs, whether it's because you may have lower taxes, or you prefer to live in a single-family home, or for any other reason, you can certainly do that. I think most of the factors are the same whether you're crossing a state line or not.

NYC no longer has a non-resident income tax. However, you still must file NYS tax returns if you work in NYC and live in NJ/CT. NYS residents who do not live in NYC do not pay NYC income tax, either.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Um...Charlotte's metro definitely spills into South Carolina.
My cousin was head of marketing for Nascar in Charlotte and lived in Lake Norman, NC. My stepdaughters both work Uptown Charlotte and live in Tega Cay, South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
There is no Washington DC (population 700K) without Nova (Virginia, pop 3.1 million) and MontCo/Prince Georges (over a million population) in Maryland. Most workers employed in the District live in MD/VA, not the District.

Nova is Virginias tax base and money source. Virginia is Mississippi without Nova's must have DC fed jobs to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Hampton Roads in VA, the 2nd largest metro area in VA, is basically a huge Military base, like Ft Hood in TX, economy and influence wise.

Maryland has Baltimore so without MontCo/PGC Fed sourced jobs and dollars, MD would be like Rhode Island in economy and political influence
Most of the deep south considers Virgina to be more of an eastern state than a southern state. I spent my freshman year of college in Lynchburg, Virginia. Loved going to DC.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Kansas City MO, and Kansas City KS, waste a lot of money on a promotional ”tug of war” to lure corporations into relocating a short distance from one state to the other. There are discussions of this on C-D Forum.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:37 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Lived in NJ, worked in NYC most of my life. We paid STATE tax to NY, but non-NYC residents stopped having to pay NYC income tax years ago.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:21 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
My part of CT is right along the NY line and there was reguarly pre-covid a chronic highway backup to turn onto a hihway that runs east from NY from about 2 miles before entering CT. The ramp is only 1 lane and NY state doenst really want to do anything since it doesn't benefit them

Old 10-02-2021, 11:59 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Kansas City MO, and Kansas City KS, waste a lot of money on a promotional ”tug of war” to lure corporations into relocating a short distance from one state to the other. There are discussions of this on C-D Forum.
It's not the cities, but the states of Missouri and Kansas, that are — were — engaged in the "border war." (This term is also a reference to the fight over slavery in Kansas after the Kansas-Nebraska Act reopened the question the Missouri Compromise was supposed to have settled; the period of conflict over Kansas' entry into the Union, aka "Bleeding Kansas," I also refer to as "the dress rehearsal for the Civil War.")

And of the two states, I'd say Kansas was the bigger offender, particularly under Sam Brownback, whose "job creation" strategy rested on a fatal flaw: The company may cross State Line Road, but the workers probably won't. By offering to let corporations keep the taxes they otherwise would be paying to Topeka, but not replacing that revenue with personal income and sales taxes paid by the Missourians who work for the company, the strategy was a recipe for bankrupting the state treasury (and many local ones too). It got so bad that the legislature, which was and still is controlled by Brownback's party, overrode his veto of a state tax increase it passed to stanch the bleeding.

During this time, Missouri "sued for peace" several times with bills offering to end its subsidies and tax breaks if Kansas did. It wasn't until Kansas voters replaced Brownback's lieutenant governor, who served the rest of his second term, with a Democrat (Laura Kelly) that the peace treaty was finally signed and executed.

I believe Kansas City, Mo.'s city income tax applies to nonresidents who work in the city. Many states have tax treaties where residents who live in one state and work in another can deduct the taxes they pay to the other state from those of the state in which they live; I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania and New Jersey have such an arrangement.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:33 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It's not the cities, but the states of Missouri and Kansas, that are — were — engaged in the "border war." (This term is also a reference to the fight over slavery in Kansas after the Kansas-Nebraska Act reopened the question the Missouri Compromise was supposed to have settled; the period of conflict over Kansas' entry into the Union, aka "Bleeding Kansas," I also refer to as "the dress rehearsal for the Civil War.")

And of the two states, I'd say Kansas was the bigger offender, particularly under Sam Brownback, whose "job creation" strategy rested on a fatal flaw: The company may cross State Line Road, but the workers probably won't. By offering to let corporations keep the taxes they otherwise would be paying to Topeka, but not replacing that revenue with personal income and sales taxes paid by the Missourians who work for the company, the strategy was a recipe for bankrupting the state treasury (and many local ones too). It got so bad that the legislature, which was and still is controlled by Brownback's party, overrode his veto of a state tax increase it passed to stanch the bleeding.

During this time, Missouri "sued for peace" several times with bills offering to end its subsidies and tax breaks if Kansas did. It wasn't until Kansas voters replaced Brownback's lieutenant governor, who served the rest of his second term, with a Democrat (Laura Kelly) that the peace treaty was finally signed and executed.

I believe Kansas City, Mo.'s city income tax applies to nonresidents who work in the city. Many states have tax treaties where residents who live in one state and work in another can deduct the taxes they pay to the other state from those of the state in which they live; I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania and New Jersey have such an arrangement.
Is this one of the reasons why the two major cities in MO that share it's metro with other states (KC and STL) have majority of their metro in MO (and not KS or IL).

No one outside of the local area even knows a Kansas City, KS exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning