Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 02:53 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times

Advertisements

The missing part of the video is profit motive. A floor can be configured with all 2/3 BR units but it generally won't make as much money as the same floor configured with all studios and 1BR units.

The 2 stair requirement has some code exceptions in the US. This code might not apply in Canada.

This is from the 2021 International Building Code:
https://codes.iccsafe.org/s/NJBC2021...10-Sec1006.3.4
"1006.3.4Single exits
"A single exit or access to a single exit shall be permitted from any story or occupied roof where one of the following conditions exists:"
There are 5 conditions that are in the link that have lots of details and variations.
To roughly summarize for R2 - 3 story limit as long as the occupant load is below 10 serving that story exit with 4 unit max per story.

Also - in NYC, you can have a single means of egress from residential buildings of up to 60 ft in height as long as they're not more than 2,000 s.f. per floor, and are type I or II construction.
https://codes.iccsafe.org/s/NYNYCBC2022P1/chapter-10-means-of-egress/NYNYCBC2022P1-Ch10-Sec1007.1.1

There might be other state and local codes that follow the NYC example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 03:24 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Are you talking about a specific TYPE of apartment? Because what I was responding to was the sentence

The US has basically outlawed apartments in the vast majority of the country

which is demonstrably false by passing through any city or town from the largest to very small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
"the apartments described" is hardly a defense to the absurd extrapolated extreme that "The US has basically outlawed apartments in the vast majority of the country" as alleged by the earlier poster.
I interpreted their statement in the context of this thread, not in general. If they care, maybe they'll clarify.

Quote:
How does that equate to "outlawing apartments in the vast majority of the country"

It seems your complaint has been reduced to "As a result of fire safety building codes, I can't build 4+ story multi-family residential housing without at least two stairwells". This does not translate to "outlawing apartments in the vast majority of the country". So build a 3 story apartment complex without two stairwells or a taller complex with at least two stairwells for tenant safety.
Building codes are laws. If something isn't permitted in the building code, then that something has been outlawed. I'm not familiar with the building codes in all 50 states and municipalities, and I never work on residential buildings. But generally, it's illegal to build a 4 story apartment building (3 stories in Canada) with only one stair. Watch the video for why this makes a difference.

Don't confuse me for someone who feels strongly about this issue. I mean, I'm often in favor of smaller government, when it comes to urban planning. Freedom of choice is a good thing in urban planning too, IMO. But, this revision isn't likely to cause big changes, because as is pointed out in the reply above this one, there are other factors that play a role as well, like economic viability. Maybe eight 3-bedroom units on a smaller footprint makes more economic sense than six 3-bedroom units on the same size lot, or eight units on a larger lot? (req'd to fit the second stair and extra circulation space) Maybe that extra story makes all the difference?

Old 12-19-2023, 03:27 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You meant esthetics, but that was a pretty awesome Freudian slip.
It's aesthetics though.

Old 12-19-2023, 04:37 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
If all that "younger generation that are... embracing the simple life in condos" could magically be financially able to buy free standing houses, how many do you think would do it? A lot.
And a lot would stay. City living in an apartment - that is, in a vibrant city with decent transportation - can be absolutely awesome. I did so for decades back in Europe, didn't long for a house at all. Why would I? 2-3 grocery stores within walking distance, culture & nightlife a short bicycle or bus ride away, balcony for morning coffee, parks for after-work socializing - all without mowing lawns, weeding flower beds and painting woodwork. And without having to start a car, park a car and plan for designated drivers.

Old 12-19-2023, 04:44 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Apartments are not allowed in most urban areas of the US. Most areas only allow houses.

This isn't debatable.
You haven't been to Houston, have you? it's an excellent example of how not having formal zoning produces a better city.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:10 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You haven't been to Houston, have you? it's an excellent example of how not having formal zoning produces a better city.
He apparently hasn't been anywhere. I've never been to a city that had no apartments. Even small towns have apartments over shops.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:40 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
He apparently hasn't been anywhere. I've never been to a city that had no apartments. Even small towns have apartments over shops.
I routinely pass through a "small town" - maybe we'd call it a "large town" in reality - of 12,000, which is not a suburb of a city, but a free standing town. Several small apartment complexes are clearly visible, from the modest to the skanky, but there they are. There are also a decent supply of "garage apartment" and "granny houses" for rent.

I also routinely pass through a "hamlet" of about 200. Now THERE is a place where there aren't any apartments; but on the other hand there's no zoning, so if you wanted to build apartments you'd be allowed; but you wouldn't make any money.

The small city of 230,000 I routinely pass through is loaded with apartments from the pretty nice to the skanky.

Now IF the poster above had said "apartments of a specific narrowly defined design and construction are forbidden in many urban areas of the US due to fire codes", that might well be accurate. Not particularly meaningful, but accurate.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I find that the older generation here love their houses... backyard and everything proper to bring up your young family.

It's the younger generation that are more embracing the simple life in condo's. They tend to travel more. Go out more for entertainment and food. So a small apartment with low to zero maintenance is perfect for them. Assuming they don't have more than 1 or 2 children or dogs etc.

Here a lot of the younger folks have no choice but to buy condo's. They are cheaper to purchase. And new ones are springing up on every available corner block. Whereas houses are rarer and new houses are only available on the fringes of the city.

I can't imagine having to get a mortgage for $1,000,000 for a small starter home (house).
This is what's happening in our neighborhood where the older, original owners from 1980+- are moving out as they retire. These homes selling for $800k a couple of years ago and now $1.3 million are being bought by millennials that have 2-3 kids and were in apartments or condos before. In addition to more space, they are looking for the low crime and good schools found in the suburbs. Of the 4 most recent buyers 3 work at Amazon, and moved here from Seattle, the 4th works at Microsoft and had a condo in Redmond. One has 1 kid, the other 3 all have 2, the youngest just started kindergarten.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 12-20-2023 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-20-2023, 07:54 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
It's aesthetics though.
Both spellings are acceptable in the US, where we tend to drop the fussy "ae" from words like paediatrician and aesthetics.

On topic, the idea that younger adults really prefer fuss-free city apartment living makes my own children (21 and 24) laugh painfully. They say that they and most of their friends aspire to own SFHs, but especially where we live (SoCal), that seems impossible.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:18 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

On topic, the idea that younger adults really prefer fuss-free city apartment living makes my own children (21 and 24) laugh painfully. They say that they and most of their friends aspire to own SFHs, but especially where we live (SoCal), that seems impossible.
Yeah, that "fuss free city apartment living". Like when Sammy Subwoofer moves in upstairs and he's 6 foot 6 and a cousin of the building owner. Or when Debbie Dirty next door decides she's not going to wash any dishes for a couple months and her cockroaches get so overcrowded that they seek extra space in your unit. Or when the terlit upstairs overflows and sewage runs over onto your bed. Or when the building needs a new roof but the condo association "discovers" there's no money and you all get to pay a huge unplanned assesssment. Or whenever it rains the water pools up on the balcony and runs in soaking your bedroom carpet, and you've made six different maintenance calls and they just come in and shop vac the carpet and spray some air freshener. Or when the quiet pub downstairs converts into a headbanger club and sleep becomes impossible until 3 am 7 nights a week (and you're supposed to be at work, fresh and energetic, at 8). Or when the homeless decide YOUR sidewalk is the place for their next encampment. Or the twice monthly "inspection/update" that requires the maintenance men to come into your apartment, invariably letting the cat out. Or the maintenance man who's building a killer stereo system from the best components of the tenants'. Or, or, or, or....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning