Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
I disagree with LA. When I was there, we couldn't do anything without a car.
That's because LA has so much. If you need to go to the store or meet your friends at a bar, it's easily done by walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
Philadelphia is the most UN-friendly pedestrian city. First, drivers ignore most stop signs and signals, parking across the crosswalks. Second, the city has decided that restaurants can use the sidewalks for extra seating, often leaving just a few feet open for pedestrians, it's particularly bad in Old City. Third, they've installed some new traffic lights in Old City to intimidate pedestrians from crossing. It will say "Walk" for about 7 seconds, and then a red hand appears which counts off the remaining seconds, sometimes as many as 13 seconds. I can cross the street twice in 13 seconds (I walk very fast). Fourth, there is no enforcement of sidewalk laws, bicyclists are allowed free access (against the law), as well as skateboarders. You mix all this together and you have a mess.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
LA is a very walkable city. You walk to your car.
Hahaha, so true. I don't get how it scored higher than Portland. That city is so walkable. Not saying Stumptown should be number 1 or anything, but it should be higher than LA for sure.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:44 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
LOL at L.A. being so high.

Houston should be higher - I never have to use my car. I get up, get on metro to work, walk around downtown, and when I get home, walk around my neighborhood.

SF and NY are very very walkable though.

Chicago...meh. Maybe inner loop.
you've obivously never walked around chicago

Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
^^^

He's got some weird beef with Chicago. Just let him be.

Anyway, though I've taken a look at their methodology, and it does have some problems, I think the list makes sense intuitively. LA is probably a tad high, but considering that it is denser than most Sun Belt cities, that it's above-average doesn't really surprise me.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,115 times
Here is an opinion by somebody who ACTUALLY lives in Los Angeles and not just visits.

LA is highly walkable but LA is hiuge and filled with freeways which gives the impression that you need a car to get around. Trust me, when I first moved here I thought that was the case. Communities like Westwood, Century City, downtown, Hollywood, Korea town, Los Feliz, and Southern communities of the valley are VERY walkable. UCLA is in Westwood and half the students dont own a vehicle. A close friend of mine lives in Korea town and he has never owned a car in his life but manages to get to work in Hollywood and school with ease.
Although LA does not have an enormous rail system, it's still efficient enough for a student in Long Beach to get to Cal State Northridge, USC, or UCLA without a problem.
Another instance would be that if I wanted to go to Old town Pasadena in the morning then Santa Monica in the afternoon and spend the night in Univeral city walk I would be able to do so without a car but just a couple train rides and bus rides.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
No Pittsburgh? Considering that long been one the most structurally dense cities in the country....

Old 09-12-2008, 02:15 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,627 times
did anybody look at what they considered walkable
What Makes a Neighborhood Walkable

Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
It's silly to compare San Francisco's 49 square miles to New York City's 304 square miles of land area. A more accurate comparison would be San Francisco and Manhattan. Manhattan has much better public transportation than San Francisco and is far more walkable. To make a comparison with New York City as a whole you'd have to include places like Oakland and Berkeley, and San Francisco's walkability quotient would drop dramatically.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
SF's not that walkable. It's walkable, but not even close to as walkable as NYC and Boston. In SF, the sidestreets are simply residential and way too long. In NYC and Boston, there are grocers, pizzerias, and cafes on residential streets. In NYC, people even live above stores, pizzerias, and cafes. And Vegas more walkable than Memphis? No, I've been to both and Memphis was easy to walk around... Vegas was a pain in the *** to walk around. Sorry, but I don't agree with this list.

LA's not walkable. Angelenos only think it's walkable because they don't know what walkable really is. Look at Street View on Google Maps and drive around West LA, East LA, and South LA, northern LA. There's nothing but houses with spacious front yards and a few apartment buildings taking up more land than they need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning