Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 03:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times

Advertisements

Suburbia beats high density, urban living, imo. I tried that lifestyle, hated it. I'll keep my suburbia/edge of the country living. I love it. I've no reason to ever drive downtown, everything I need is nearby, and most importantly, a vast mountain playground is damn near at my doorstep.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM

956 posts, read 1,208,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
It won't be taken that way by me! I'm the one who is saying that all suburbs are NOT sprawl. Wburg said they are right here in post 552

Suburbs are very coveted and desirable in the northeast, specifically NJ, NY, CT. A lot of people living there who absolutely have the means (money) to live in a big city and yet they choose not to. This is why the tri-state suburbs continue to be some of the most expensive real estate in the United States.

since the northeast is the most populated area in the US (other than California maybe) I think it's very short sighted to dismiss the popularity and desire of the suburbs here.

I'm sure there are plenty of places throughout the US that has very beautiful suburbs. That is why I don't care for blanket statements about them. They have their purpose and they aren't going anywhere in spite of some poorly built suburbs in the past.

The New York City suburbs are probably one of the best laid out (same for Boston, Philly and somewhat DC). There is the main CBD (Manhattan) with commuter rail connected to it (LIRR, NJ Transit, Metro-North) and then many various bus companies (NJ Transit, Coach USA etc)

Hating the suburbs is just a cool thing to do. If I ever want to head to the city (Manhattan) it's just a train ride away.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM

834 posts, read 2,279,181 times
Quote:
The New York City suburbs are probably one of the best laid out (same for Boston, Philly and somewhat DC).
Absolutely. That is why to put down all suburbs, when the most densely populated area in the country has some of the best suburbs is just ridiculous.

And honestly if someone wants to put down the burbs....whatever. Their opinion is their opinion. But to say that suburbs suck tax dollars away and that all suburbs are sprawl is just false information. Wberg is clearly an educated person, well respected on this board and attempts to educate others about living in the city. Frankly I expect accurate information to be given from him. If nothing else, then cite specific suburbs when talking about their downsides.

Quote:
Hating the suburbs is just a cool thing to do
OMG is it ever. I've heard this stuff since I was in high school in the 80's. Droves of people moving from the city to the suburbs and yet nobody wants to admit they like it.
The suburbs are like a Justin Beiber CD. Millions sold. Rarely will someone admit they are a fan.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 09-06-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. That is why to put down all suburbs, when the most densely populated area in the country has some of the best suburbs is just ridiculous.

And honestly if someone wants to put down the burbs....whatever. Their opinion is their opinion. But to say that suburbs suck tax dollars away and that all suburbs are sprawl is just false information. Wberg is clearly an educated person, well respected on this board and attempts to educate others about living in the city. Frankly I expect accurate information to be given from him. If nothing else, then cite specific suburbs when talking about their downsides.

OMG is it ever. I've heard this stuff since I was in high school in the 80's. Droves of people moving from the city to the suburbs and yet nobody wants to admit they like it.
The suburbs are like a Justin Beiber CD. Millions sold. Rarely will someone admit they are a fan.
I think Wberg refers to the much newer suburbs which were built out in the 90s and 00s. I cannot stand it though when people group the world "suburbs" and say ALL of them or even most of them are dry, boring, wasteful blah blah blah.

yep, suburban hate has been going on since they first started to develop in the 50s and 60s. It's nothing new. Teenagers with a very short attention span always call out I hate living in the burbs, cannot wait to get out of here (happened a lot in my high school). Many of them go off to college and live in the city only to come back to their suburban hometown and raise their family there! (I know a whole bunch of high school people who have done the same thing).

Funny how that works, huh? Hating the place when you're a teen only to love it and miss it when having a family.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 PM

834 posts, read 2,279,181 times
I think I was the only person who loved the suburb I grew up in NJ. It was very farmy, woodsy, with modest homes (back then they were 1950's ranches, these days they are called mid century modern, lol)

All everyone talked about was how much they hated the burbs. Funny how Facebook puts you back in touch with people and I cannot tell you how many people are now in their 40's with kids and living within 20 minutes of that area, many of them still in the same town. What's boring as a teen becomes stable when you are an adult with kids.

There is no doubt Wberg is very informed when it comes to cities. If I was planning to make a city more walkable and livable, he is the person I'd consult. He's educated and respected. He's not someone who comes here and just spouts off his opinions on cities. He is someone who is attempting to educate people.

And therein lies the problem. If you are going to be a respected member of a forum, you are going to be held in a higher regard. While he is spot on with insight about cities, he is very off the mark when it comes to suburbs.

You cannot say something like, "Suburbs take more money for schools than cities do". Because you are going to have people whip out information that shows otherwise.
To say "People get in their cars and drive to the gym only to walk on a treadmill" as in a hardy-har-har, what fools these people are.... you are going to be set straight.
Gym offer FAR more than a treadmill. You cannot compare a gym workout to walking in a city. You can't even compare a treadmill to walking in a city. Do most cities allow a person to walk a 9 or 10 minute mile if you are having to stop and go because of people and waiting at lights?

Telling people in the suburbs they are "pretending" to be in the country is extremely condescending. In 2011, most people don't care about living in real country anyway. They just want some freakin' space of their own.
The suburbs are not near as inconvenient or horrible as Wberg has made them out to be.

Why not discuss well built suburbs over poorly built ones? Or how we can make poorly built suburbs better? Wouldn't that be more constructive? I came here expecting to see something much more thoughtful and evolved than suburb hate. I heard enough of that 20 years ago.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
IWhy not discuss well built suburbs over poorly built ones?
We've been trying to do that, but you're still not coming around on the idea that we're not here to "bash" the suburbs or anything for that matter.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_majority_fallacy

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
We've been trying to do that, but you're still not coming around on the idea that we're not here to "bash" the suburbs or anything for that matter.

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really don't find that happening here at all. There is a very much hatred towards the suburbs and it's more about how can we get more people to move back into the city (at least in this forum). The whole New Urbanism culture.

Well I guess for one this is a urban planning forum and there isn't one for the suburbs. Maybe would be nice if there was a suburb planning forum too. There is a forum for rural living/small town nothing for the 'burbs.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
I really don't find that happening here at all. There is a very much hatred towards the suburbs and it's more about how can we get more people to move back into the city (at least in this forum). The whole New Urbanism culture.

Well I guess for one this is a urban planning forum and there isn't one for the suburbs. Maybe would be nice if there was a suburb planning forum too. There is a forum for rural living/small town nothing for the 'burbs.
If you read the first few pages, maybe. Try reading the last 5 pages. I'm not sure how anyone could get the idea that this thread is about just blindly hating the suburbs over the last few pages. As has been repeated ad nauseum, the folks having a discussion now are not hating on the suburbs.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
it's more about how can we get more people to move back into the city (at least in this forum).
But we're not doing this. Nobody needs to move where they don't want to live.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I think I was the only person who loved the suburb I grew up in NJ. It was very farmy, woodsy, with modest homes (back then they were 1950's ranches, these days they are called mid century modern, lol)

All everyone talked about was how much they hated the burbs. Funny how Facebook puts you back in touch with people and I cannot tell you how many people are now in their 40's with kids and living within 20 minutes of that area, many of them still in the same town. What's boring as a teen becomes stable when you are an adult with kids.

There is no doubt Wberg is very informed when it comes to cities. If I was planning to make a city more walkable and livable, he is the person I'd consult. He's educated and respected. He's not someone who comes here and just spouts off his opinions on cities. He is someone who is attempting to educate people.

And therein lies the problem. If you are going to be a respected member of a forum, you are going to be held in a higher regard. While he is spot on with insight about cities, he is very off the mark when it comes to suburbs.

You cannot say something like, "Suburbs take more money for schools than cities do". Because you are going to have people whip out information that shows otherwise.
To say "People get in their cars and drive to the gym only to walk on a treadmill" as in a hardy-har-har, what fools these people are.... you are going to be set straight.
Gym offer FAR more than a treadmill. You cannot compare a gym workout to walking in a city. You can't even compare a treadmill to walking in a city. Do most cities allow a person to walk a 9 or 10 minute mile if you are having to stop and go because of people and waiting at lights?

Telling people in the suburbs they are "pretending" to be in the country is extremely condescending. In 2011, most people don't care about living in real country anyway. They just want some freakin' space of their own.
The suburbs are not near as inconvenient or horrible as Wberg has made them out to be.

Why not discuss well built suburbs over poorly built ones? Or how we can make poorly built suburbs better? Wouldn't that be more constructive? I came here expecting to see something much more thoughtful and evolved than suburb hate. I heard enough of that 20 years ago.

The culture from the city to suburbs is different. Many people who live in the city usually don't have a car or cannot afford one or if they do driving a car in the city is a huge hassle. When I lived in the city (Queens, NYC) I would walk to the supermarket which was less then a mile away because there was no place to park the car, but most of I didn't have a driveway and I wanted to keep my sweet spot in front on the house. When I moved to the suburbs the supermarket was also less then a mile away, but I drove because it's much easier. Plenty of parking at the supermarket and coming home to my own driveway.

For me it went from walking in the city for errands to now I walk when I go on nature walks, hiking, the park etc. I probably walk the same amount as I did when I lived in the city maybe even more!

For me I love the country, but I also love the city at the same time. I don't want to live in the city, but I also don't want to live deep in the country and this is where the suburbs are the perfect fit. If I want the city, like I said I have the train (Metro-North) or could drive (75 minutes or so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning