Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 12:49 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,476,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
No problem, the suburbs are so great
Cities are great for single yuppies, but after that, to have a family, the suburbs are the better option
You don't have to have a family to like the suburbs. I never want to get married or have kids. I like suburbs and small cities. But I don't like big dense cities.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:49 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
No problem, the suburbs are so great
Cities are great for single yuppies, but after that, to have a family, the suburbs are the better option
That's basically what I'm seeing. But I also prefer to live near a major city so I can experience its offerings from time to time.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Regardless, that's better than the extreme density of places like Manhattan.
Even in NYC, most people don't live with Manhattan-type density.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,317,362 times
most people who bash the burbs .....were probably born & raised in the burbs, or even the country. Or they're city folks who rarely leave their 1 block radius and belive that all suburbs are boring and bland

Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the suburbs. Though, this forum that is geared more toward those who are pro-urban, which may give people the wrong idea about American's general perception of suburbs. Suburbs are great places to live and raise a family. The only issue I have is that they are usually ugly (haha). Some really gorgeous suburbs though. The suburban lifestyle simply isn't for everyone though.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 PM

I would also like to add that alot of "urbanites" who talk down on suburbs probaly live in safe city neighborhoods and not bad ones.

Last edited by mas23; 07-18-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
So, what's the deal with this negative talk to those who dislike suburbs, mas23?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
So, what's the deal with this negative talk to those who dislike suburbs, mas23?
I just think too many people believe that all suburbs are bland and not diverse enough and that everyone is a soccer mom not to mention the fact that no one interacts with others.

I know some people are going to come after me but oh well.
just my little rant. No hard feelings towards anyone in particular

BTW. I'd prefer to live in an older suburb

Last edited by mas23; 07-18-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 PM

126 posts, read 304,630 times
I was born in a big city. When I was about 8 years old, I moved to a suburb. I didn't like it . here are my reasons for not liking it:

1. It was just boring to me. Houses, trees, houses, trees, chain stores. If you took me to a suburb, and then blindfolded me and dropped me off in a bunch of other suburbs, they would all look the same to me.

2. Too spread out. You have to drive to get anywhere. In the city, usually theres a lot to do within walking distance of your house.

3. Not as much to do in the suburbs. In the city, there's festivals, museums, parks, nightlife, etc. in the suburbs, there's not much of that, if any of it at all.

4. The other kids at my school had wrong thoughts of the city. When I would tell someone I was from the city, I've had a lot of people ask me "Did you get shot?" I know there's more crime in cities than suburbs, but it's not like I'm dodging bullets everytime I step outside my house. My school took a field trip into the city (philadelphia) to see the liberty bell and independence hall.(I must've been in 8th grade or something) I remember on the bus ride there people had their windows on the bus open, and I remember kids saying, "Put your windows down, were gonna get shot!!!!" wtf? I would here stuff like that all the time

about #4, I dont know if it's like that in other suburbs, or just the one I lived in, but that was one of the reasons I really didn't like it.

5. I like living in a place people know of. Not a lot of people outside of the Philadelphia area have heard of Bala Cynwood, Wynnewood, Bryn mar, Ardmore, etc.

Those are my main reasons for not liking suburban life. We moved back to the city when I was around 15 or 16 though
Suburbs do have better public schools and are safer, but that's about it

But some people may not like city life. To each his own

Old 07-18-2010, 03:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,073,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsh View Post
The other kids at my school had wrong thoughts of the city. When I would tell someone I was from the city, I've had a lot of people ask me "Did you get shot?" I know there's more crime in cities than suburbs, but it's not like I'm dodging bullets everytime I step outside my house. My school took a field trip into the city (philadelphia) to see the liberty bell and independence hall.(I must've been in 8th grade or something) I remember on the bus ride there people had their windows on the bus open, and I remember kids saying, "Put your windows down, were gonna get shot!!!!" wtf? I would here stuff like that all the time
That's funny because I've had similar experiences with North and West suburbanites who come to my suburban area south of Chicago.. Or when I tell them where I'm from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning