Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Subways are a failure in DC. The system is completely falling apart, they had one crash this summer, almost another one the week before. Numerous problems with Subway drivers sleeping, texting or cell phoning while driving (System has been taken off auto pilot and is now on manual pilot on all lines because they beleive the auto sensor system has failed system wide). Serious problems with other parts of the 30 year old ill conceived system breaking down (Train cars that cannot make impact standards, ventilation systems exploding in the subway tunnels). My DH takes it everyday and has to off load then onload another train due to mechanical problems twice a week.

I lived in Chicago 12 years. Excellent, somewhat dirty system.

Are you kidding? The DC Metro is by most accounts, the second best subway system in the US, surpassed only by NYC. DC has four massive double-decked transfer stations (Metro Center, L’Enfant Plaza, Fort Totten, and Chinatown). Most US cities can only dream about ever having just one station like that. Sure the metro has it’s technically problems, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s an excellent system overall. I feel like the people who use it every day get spoiled by it and don’t realize just how good they have it (by American standards, that is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Subways are a failure in DC. The system is completely falling apart, they had one crash this summer, almost another one the week before. Numerous problems with Subway drivers sleeping, texting or cell phoning while driving (System has been taken off auto pilot and is now on manual pilot on all lines because they beleive the auto sensor system has failed system wide). Serious problems with other parts of the 30 year old ill conceived system breaking down (Train cars that cannot make impact standards, ventilation systems exploding in the subway tunnels). My DH takes it everyday and has to off load then onload another train due to mechanical problems twice a week.

I lived in Chicago 12 years. Excellent, somewhat dirty system.
I used to live in Silver Spring, MD and the DC subway was very nice, the stations were so large, clean and modern, the trains were fast and smooth, I like the DC subway.

I always heard the Chicago El was underfunded and somewhat dangerous to ride (trains coming off the tracks).

Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM

226 posts, read 646,364 times
Streetcar baby! and the El is quite safe BTW, crowded, but safe. Every time I'm in Chicago I take it. DC is the system with trains slamming into each other all the time.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Are you kidding? The DC Metro is by most accounts, the second best subway system in the US, surpassed only by NYC. DC has four massive double-decked transfer stations (Metro Center, L’Enfant Plaza, Fort Totten, and Chinatown). Most US cities can only dream about ever having just one station like that. Sure the metro has it’s technically problems, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s an excellent system overall. I feel like the people who use it every day get spoiled by it and don’t realize just how good they have it (by American standards, that is).
You aren't keeping up with the daily reports in the Post and on TV Media about how bad DC's Metro system is. Its clean but it was designed without a 3rd track set (unlike substantially better systems in NYC and Chicago). I don't think "having double decker stations" outweighs the fact that several riders have been killed over the summer, including a Metro employee doing maintenance at a stop and was run over by equipment other employees (who came back positive for drugs in the after investigation) were supposed to be operating correctly. I suspect the DC Metro area is soon to hear of a lot of major problems we were aware of that Metro is trying to keep a lid on.

Maybe if you lived here you would be able to speak authoritatively on the subject.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I used to live in Silver Spring, MD and the DC subway was very nice, the stations were so large, clean and modern, the trains were fast and smooth, I like the DC subway.

I always heard the Chicago El was underfunded and somewhat dangerous to ride (trains coming off the tracks).

DC is also extremely underfunded. Part of this is that the Federal Gov't is Metro's bank and since DC doesn't have a Representative, no one ponies up for funds. To confound the situation Metro in DC lets all Federal Employees and some Private employees take Metro COMPLETELY for FREE. Thats right-if you work for the Pentagon, for example (The largest employee in the area) You don't pay anything to ride a train or a bus. Thats Ridiculous IMO

Old 08-12-2009, 04:36 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Quote:
You aren't keeping up with the daily reports in the Post and on TV Media about how bad DC's Metro system is. Its clean but it was designed without a 3rd track set (unlike substantially better systems in NYC and Chicago). I don't think "having double decker stations" outweighs the fact that several riders have been killed over the summer, including a Metro employee doing maintenance at a stop and was run over by equipment other employees (who came back positive for drugs in the after investigation) were supposed to be operating correctly. I suspect the DC Metro area is soon to hear of a lot of major problems we were aware of that Metro is trying to keep a lid on.

Maybe if you lived here you would be able to speak authoritatively on the subject.
So NYC and Chicago were designed with a 3rd track and that makes them superior to the DC Metro. That doesn’t change the fact that DC still has a mass transit system that is superior to the vast majority of American cities. That’s my point. I brought up the double decker stations as an example and reminder to just how much planning, time, effort, and pride has gone into the building of the DC Metro, regardless of the problems it’s facing today. And in case you didn’t know, I grew up in that area and know the DC Metro very well. I’ve only been living on the West Coast for a year and half – I think I can still speak “authoritatively” on the subject.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:39 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times
Subways are great and I love the DC Metro, but sadly only a very few elite cities can build them, it's almost impossible to build a subway in this day and age. Many cities are planning on building light rail transit or streetcars, which is what I actually prefer.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:59 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
S DC is the system with trains slamming into each other all the time.
Really? Could you name me all the other times it happened sans the accident on June 22. I ride it every morning, afternoon, and evening and been doing so since September 2005. Since then, I have yet to be on a train that slams into another.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Subways are great and I love the DC Metro, but sadly only a very few elite cities can build them, it's almost impossible to build a subway in this day and age. Many cities are planning on building light rail transit or streetcars, which is what I actually prefer.
It's nice for cities like Norfolk, Charlotte, Tampa, Memphis or Austin. Cities that have under 4 million people and are not really increasing it's density at a fast rate. Cities like Houston and Dallas need heavy rail in addition to light rail. The FTA for some reason does not want to fund another heavy rail system but DFW and Houston is prime for this form of rail transportation. I think it will come in due time but it will take a while.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
DC is also extremely underfunded. Part of this is that the Federal Gov't is Metro's bank and since DC doesn't have a Representative, no one ponies up for funds. To confound the situation Metro in DC lets all Federal Employees and some Private employees take Metro COMPLETELY for FREE. Thats right-if you work for the Pentagon, for example (The largest employee in the area) You don't pay anything to ride a train or a bus. Thats Ridiculous IMO
One thing I'll say about the metro is that it's expensive. I had to change my hours just not to ride on rush hour. It's ok if you live in the city. But if you don't, get ready to pay 3 to 4 dollars just to get into the city. I think they have built as much heavy rail as they could in DC. To connect other areas, they need light rail. It's annoying that I have to go through downtown just to get to another point in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning