Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I wasn't referring to those post-WWII suburbs. This suburb was one of the street-car suburbs - dense and walkable, with easy transit connections and 15 minutes to downtown. The kind of suburb like the Heights in Houston, where people actually pay a premium to live, but with much more convenient mass transit.

Maybe I should just stop fretting about this. The neighborhood has low crime, it's in a good location, I like the house and it's less than the price of my other half's Accord. If people are being stupid and dumping their homes for half their value, I should take advantage of their ignorance. If it depreciates, so what; I don't expect the car to appreciate.
I'd probably make the same decision. (I have, in fact) But, you should consider that depreciating home values, whether based on stupidity or not, can cause real problems. Nice neighborhoods with falling home values are often targeted by investors who sometimes turn into slumlords. If problem tenants move in, and the owner doesn't care, that can ruin your quality of life. We (the neighborhood organization I belong to) have run into this, and we had to embarrass the property owner (he owned many properties) into caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,902 times
No one wants to be in the minority. When a neighborhood reachs a tipping point, the group that is loosing ground will want to get out. It can and does happen everywhere.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,752,496 times
^ True, but I've never heard of black people moving out because a neighborhood is getting too white. Just saying

Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ True, but I've never heard of black people moving out because a neighborhood is getting too white. Just saying
It's happening in different sections of Atlanta right now.

A lot of elderly black folks are cashing out, and who can blame them?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It's happening in different sections of Atlanta right now.

A lot of elderly black folks are cashing out, and who can blame them?
Is it because of an increase in property value, though or do they really just not want to be around white people?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Is it because of an increase in property value, though or do they really just not want to be around white people?
I'm sure property values AND increased taxes come into play, but how in the world could I possibly answer the second part of your question?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I'm sure property values AND increased taxes come into play, but how in the world could I possibly answer the second part of your question?
It's only possible unless you're one of those moving out or if you know someone who has moved out for that reason. I was getting at whether they are simply moving out because they are becoming the minority in the area or because they can't afford to stay there any longer.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
It's only possible unless you're one of those moving out or if you know someone who has moved out for that reason. I was getting at whether they are simply moving out because they are becoming the minority in the area or because they can't afford to stay there any longer.
I would think each case is different, so you would have to ask each person that moved out. You can't really make a blanket assumption about people's reasons for moving to the suburbs.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it's the affordability factor more than anything.

There was some initial resistance to whites moving back into certain neighborhoods about 10 years or so ago, but some of it was more of a "gay thing" than a "white thing."

Lately, all I ever hear about is how welcomed most people feel by the elderly black folks that remain. I'm told that by and large that most long term residents seem to think that it's an overall positive thing for the city.

I agree with them, I just hate to see people being forced to move.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I would think each case is different, so you would have to ask each person that moved out. You can't really make a blanket assumption about people's reasons for moving to the suburbs.
..and I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning