Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 PM

12 posts, read 16,909 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Taking some tentative steps to explore a move to Utah. We have not been to the state yet so seeking some guidance if you can spare a moment to respond.

Everyone knows about the beautiful mountains and wonderful skiing in Utah. As well as the spectacular parks. Beautiful topography, however we are seeking some gentler green rolling hills. Would there be any parts of the state like that ?

** Also of concern is what I am reading about inversion layers in the northern part of the state. My wife suffers from asthma so if the state has a portion where the air quality is better I would appreciate some advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read, constructive feedback greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,975,460 times
I can't think of anyplace in Utah that has gentle rolling hills, let alone GREEN rolling hills.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I can't think of anyplace in Utah that has gentle rolling hills, let alone GREEN rolling hills.
First part of sentence ... , check out the area around Mountain Green, around Trappers Loop.
Second part ... , yeah, you're right. There was some green there tho !

Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,975,460 times
Really? I have never been up there. Who woulda thunk it?!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM

90 posts, read 235,715 times
You're correct to be concerned about the air quality. As another person with athsma who used to live in Salt Lake, it's bad. Not only bad, but now days the Wasatch Front (Ogden to Provo - and beyond), often have THE WORST air quality in the nation during the winter months - esp. in December and January. They've been very lucky this year to not have it quite so bad.

For better air quality, you're best bet is probably to look at the smaller to very small communities in central and Southern Utah (Moab, St. George, Richfield, Price, etc.).

As for green rolling hills? Probably going to be difficult to find that in ANY of the Western mountain states - best luck would be the coastal states for that, or on the West edge of the Plains states. But between the Rockies and the coastal ranges (Cascades & Sierras), not gonna happen, unless, again, you look to the coastal NW states like Oregon and Washington.

Having lived all over the Western U.S., I'd suggest looking at the Willamette Valley in Oregon if you really want green rolling hills. If you're heart is set on the Southwestern states, maybe Cortez, Co? The area between Cortez and Monticello Utah (Dove Creek) is probably the closest to rolling green hills that I've seen in any of the 4-corners states and other Mountain states (besides "The Plains" sides of Co, NM, Wy, etc). But that area is very remote from just about anything, even the nearest Interstate is well over 100 miles away.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM

12 posts, read 16,909 times
Thanks very much for that wonderful info.
Unfortunately my wifes asthma is often severe so that will definetly precude slc.

Really appreciate all of you taking the time to write.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,593 times
Mountain Green came to mind for me also. Gorgeous area & its out of the valley, so I bet its got better air.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro* View Post
Thanks very much for that wonderful info.
Unfortunately my wifes asthma is often severe so that will definetly precude slc.
My mother had asthma and lived in Salt Lake City until she died at the age of 96. My 20-year-old nephew has Cystic Fibrosis and is doing fine here. I've worked all my life with people who have asthma, and at least one person on this forum has it. Let her weigh in on the topic before you completely dismiss Salt Lake City as an option.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
I have mild asthma and I stay inside on red air days, as the news tells us to do. I emphasize that mine is mild and I did not develop it until I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah