Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 17,217 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving from Las Vegas, NV to either Salt Lake City or St George. We have taken a lot of things into consideration and will be visiting both with our daughter this summer and again in the winter, but I'm hoping for some advice from locals, or from folks who had lived in Utah for a long time. We're not LDS, although some of my closest friends are, but that's not a deciding factor for us. We want to get away from Vegas, while still being close enough to come back to visit our families.

We are self employed so jobs aren't an issue, nor are public schools or concern about our daughter being accepted in a public school. She's only 16 months, so hopefully we will be moved and settled in before she starts at a private school for kindergarten.

Can you please give some insight to the following:

1. How often do people get pest control service in SLC or in St George, what kind of insects, rodents, snakes are there to contend with?

2. How is the weather in SLC vs St George to me it seems like St George is pretty similar to Vegas, but maybe with a little snow in the winter?

3. What are the best things about St George or SLC in your opinion (education, attractions, etc)...

4. I understand that SLC has a problem with air quality, mainly in the winter. Is this something that is being worked on? Is it really as bad as it's being made out to be (I've seen different reports that say it's as bad as Beijing, but others that still show L.A and many other U.S cities that have worse air quality than SLC.

5. Crime, Cleanliness, Happiness, less transiency, less homeless people - these are important to us. Las Vegas has a lot of crime, even in the very best parts of town, it's also pretty dirty - graffiti, trash, etc... And no one seems happy to be here, it's a transient place and we don't want that. We live in a small neighborhood where enveryone knows eachother and watches out for eachother but if you leave our community it's just back to regular Vegas.

6. What's the feeling of community like? Are there community events? Girl scouts, church events (Baptist or Lutheran preferably for us), community centers, clubs and activites for kids. Tutoring centers, libraries?

7. I am gluten free as is our daughter and I have found over 160 places with gluten free menus in SLC, while only about 20 in St George. Do any of you know about restaurants or stores that have gluten free foods? Is there a Celiac support group in SLC or St George?

8. Lastly, I have heard rumors that SLC can get stink from the lake sometimes, is it often? Is it really putrid, or is it being blown out of proportion?

I have lived in Vegas for 25 years and seen it change for the worse, I want to raise my daughter somewhere better.

I appreciate any insight, advice, etc that you all could give, thanks! Sorry I'm not spell checking, she is waking up and it wants me to install a spell check tool. So please forgive my typo's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
1. In 11 yrs there, never.
8. On the East Bench of SLC, never.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 PM

Oh couple more things... Are there Farmers Markets in either SLC or ST George and is the soil in either place good enough to grow things (veggies, fruit trees).

Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM

A number of Farmer's Mkt in SLC and yes, I grew tomatoes and my neighbors grew lots of veggies.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 PM

SouthernBelle, thank you. Do you know if others tend to get pest control service? How many of the fall, winter, Spring months do you get over an inch of snow? I told my husband that I can handle a foot or so if we live in an area where there are snow plows.
Also, are there certain areas or towns that you think are better than others when it comes to safe, well established neighborhoods of mostly homeowners? Do people have indoor pools or do they use a gym or community center instead? Our baby is in swim classes and we want to continue that and make sure she is a strong swimmer, even if we can't have our own private pool. THANK YOU!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Only people who can afford it have an indoor pool, usually in the basement. SLC itself has a good system of rec centers with indoor pools - a regulation pool and a kid's pool with fountains and warmer water.

Read the SLC forum for areas to live, there are many, mostly on the east side. Depends on your budget and how long a commute you want. The entire city is plowed within 24 hrs usually, the main areas while it is still snowing.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM

I'm learning more about areas of SLC that are built on wasteland? We have definitely decided on SLC, now it's just a matter of where in SLC. We have friends who spent over 20 years in Stansbury Park, and it seems great, but over half an hour from SLC and seems to get a bit more snow than SLC - is that true?. We would love to find a safe, clean, family neighborhood (not built on leased land or wasteland) with a big front and backyard and an attached garage. Preferably under half a mil. Can anyone recommend areas nearer than half an hour from SLC that fit my description? We will be visiting in July, October, January 2014 and then again propbably next April to help us get a good idea of what it's like in different seasons, but even a week at a time isn't as good as insight from long time residents. THANKS!

Also I would love to have some private school recommendations. k-12 preferably but not necessary...

Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jendenise View Post
I'm learning more about areas of SLC that are built on wasteland? We have definitely decided on SLC, now it's just a matter of where in SLC. We have friends who spent over 20 years in Stansbury Park, and it seems great, but over half an hour from SLC and seems to get a bit more snow than SLC - is that true?. We would love to find a safe, clean, family neighborhood (not built on leased land or wasteland) with a big front and backyard and an attached garage. Preferably under half a mil. Can anyone recommend areas nearer than half an hour from SLC that fit my description? We will be visiting in July, October, January 2014 and then again propbably next April to help us get a good idea of what it's like in different seasons, but even a week at a time isn't as good as insight from long time residents. THANKS!
If you can go as high as $500k, I'd suggest you look in Federal Heights. A lot of the homes in that area are probably more than that, but you could probably find something in that price range. Also consider the Upper Avenues and parts of Holladay. Federal Heights and the Upper Avenues would be within about 15 minutes of downtown Salt Lake City. Holladay would be about 25 minutes away. There are also some nice homes in that price range in Cottonwood Heights, which is also about 25 minutes away. Pepperwood (which is part of Sandy) is also beautiful, and maybe 35 minutes away from downtown.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,547 times
Default saint george isnt all that

I have lived in many different cities. We moved to Saint George about a year ago thinking it would be a great little desert city. We prefer a warmer climate and mild winter as well as a desert atmosphere. Utah is beautiful as is most of the west), BUT the conservative attitudes here are stifling. Being originally from NY and having lived in big cities to the rural country in PA, I have seen many different areas. We thought that the whole idea of this area being mainly LDS wouldn't affect us at all (as we just pretty much keep to ourselves) BUT it is just very apparent that if you are not LDS around here you stick out and are not included in much. I have found that jobs are harder to get if you are "not from around here". MANY things are CLOSED on Sundays. There is a church on every corner, really. There are kids everywhere (so if you are looking for super family friendly and kids playing in the streets safely then st george would be a good choice) The crime is VERY LOW. It is a safe city. one BIG drawback is that if you have to fly anywhere other than denver or SLC you will be driving back down to Vegas. When family comes to visit its a big inconvenience.

Again, I can't comment or compare to SLC because I have never been there. It is way to old there for me. But I hear it is very pretty. If you do go up north, look into Provo area, smaller than SLC =) GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 08-24-2013, 01:58 AM

404 posts, read 1,195,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlslovejeeps View Post
I have lived in many different cities. We moved to Saint George about a year ago thinking it would be a great little desert city. We prefer a warmer climate and mild winter as well as a desert atmosphere. Utah is beautiful as is most of the west), BUT the conservative attitudes here are stifling. Being originally from NY and having lived in big cities to the rural country in PA, I have seen many different areas. We thought that the whole idea of this area being mainly LDS wouldn't affect us at all (as we just pretty much keep to ourselves) BUT it is just very apparent that if you are not LDS around here you stick out and are not included in much. I have found that jobs are harder to get if you are "not from around here". MANY things are CLOSED on Sundays. There is a church on every corner, really. There are kids everywhere (so if you are looking for super family friendly and kids playing in the streets safely then st george would be a good choice) The crime is VERY LOW. It is a safe city. one BIG drawback is that if you have to fly anywhere other than denver or SLC you will be driving back down to Vegas. When family comes to visit its a big inconvenience.

Again, I can't comment or compare to SLC because I have never been there. It is way to old there for me. But I hear it is very pretty. If you do go up north, look into Provo area, smaller than SLC =) GOOD LUCK!!!
As a former east coast resident, all I can say is Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah