Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 20,230 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My wife and I just relocated here from Minneapolis. We have sold our home back in Minnesota and have decided to rent for the first year to get a feel for the areas and what we like/dislike, rather than jumping right in. We love being outdoors and have moved here to be in or near the mountains as much as possible. We currently do not have children and most likely wont for the next few years. We do however have a dog that loves the sun and outdoors.

We are looking to buy next year some time or build. Trying to determine good locations that fit the price point, $500k max and would prefer single family homes. These locations would also need good proximity for a SLC downtown commute (40mins or less ideally).

I appreciate all opinions as well as questions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 04:21 PM

14 posts, read 39,133 times
Though there are exceptions, most of the homes under $500k very close to Park City itself are twin homes, condos, etc. You could check out Summit Park, also Jeremy Ranch or North Snyderville Basin. Reasonable lot prices can also be found as you get a little more off the beaten track, but this will add to commute time and may or may not work depending on your preference for living in neighborhoods with grass, sidewalks, and the like vs. cabin/summer home areas.

Though it would stretch beyond your desired 40-minute commute time, you may want to also consider Heber City/Midway, Coalville, etc. I used to commute between Midway and central Salt Lake County. It regularly took 45 minutes, though I admittedly wasn't dealing with traffic near downtown SLC particularly during rush hour as you will.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:01 PM

388 posts, read 548,857 times
500 K is not going to cut it in PC. If you are young enough that children are in the far distant future, don't tie yourself down to a big mortgage. Renting for a while is a great plan. You may not even like PC or Utah.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Yeah, it won't get you much up in Park City and vicinity. A small condo/duplex/townhome most likely. If you are willing to move out a bit further, it will get you a decent place in say Heber or Kamas, but then you looking at a longer drive to town.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 PM

9 posts, read 20,230 times
We are definitely open to building as well. There are several somewhat reasonable lot options available in summit park as well as pinebrook. Just need to get some ideas from builders on build costs.

Another area we had looked at was Mountain Green. Any experiences with that neck of the woods?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:32 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,744 times
Smile Log Home in UT

My son just built a gorgeous log home in Timber Lakes, which is outside Heber - unbelievably gorgeous views.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...1&disp=safe&zw

Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 PM

91 posts, read 149,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardnhike View Post
We are definitely open to building as well. There are several somewhat reasonable lot options available in summit park as well as pinebrook. Just need to get some ideas from builders on build costs.

Another area we had looked at was Mountain Green. Any experiences with that neck of the woods?
My family settled that area, so I can comment. It is beautiful but it is in the Ogden area not SLC area, so well past 40 minute commute. Homes are very affordable there compared to Park City... Easily within your budget Have you checked out SLC itself? I would rent around Cottonwood Canyon and then scope out the area. I love Park City, but it is very affluent.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:19 PM

388 posts, read 548,857 times
Heck, 500K in the nicer areas of Cottonwood Heights won't cut it either, unless you want an older house that needs work or a condo/apt. I was looking last week on the web based on zips, and it was an eye opener. I thought that the garbett new homes in the FLDS zone near 9800/wasatch might come in the 500 or so mark, and they are being marketed at + 700. Not exactly flying off the lots though.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 AM

51 posts, read 79,983 times
Park City is great. Possibly one of the best cities in the nation, but its VERY expensive. To get a relatively small house is going to be hundreds of thousands of dollars. Its a City for rich people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah