Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 AM

5 posts, read 12,221 times

Advertisements

Hows the medical care in Kanab? May be moving to Utah from a place with medical care we're not happy with. What sort of things can the medical center handle or not handle? Do the doctors take new patients? If they're on Medicare? Is there a senior center I could call for info? Does the gym have a pool for aqua aerobics? Anything you can tell me will be appreciated. I've lived in the Midwest and Hawaii - never anyplace like Utah. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:36 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
I believe you are overestimating what Kane County can offer for medical care. Here's the link for the hospital. Kane County Hospital | Welcome to KCH | Kanab Hospital | Southern Utah Hospital . I'm not clear how you somehow thought more was there.

Patients with chronic illnesses and complicated illnesses and/or trauma go to St. George or AZ.

Contact the hospital for your other questions, IDK the answers.

Good luck

MSR

Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 21,866 times
Medical care is ok, though, like many places, urgent care is often overwhelmed.

They can handle the average medical emergency, though for major problems or surgery you will be sent to St. George where they really have a top-notch medical system associated with Intermountain Healthcare. I can't speak highly enough of the Intermountain Healthcare organization, which, unfortunately, Kanab's hospital is not part of.

There is a small senior center. There is a public pool, but no gym.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:39 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewatt View Post
Medical care is ok, though, like many places, urgent care is often overwhelmed.

They can handle the average medical emergency, though for major problems or surgery you will be sent to St. George where they really have a top-notch medical system associated with Intermountain Healthcare. I can't speak highly enough of the Intermountain Healthcare organization, which, unfortunately, Kanab's hospital is not part of.

There is a small senior center. There is a public pool, but no gym.
What is an average medical emergency for you, onewatt? The patients I know just go to Dixie as their emergencies aren't average.

I'll agree Dixie MC has improved. I'll also agree I find it odd that the Kanab hospital isn't part of IHC, but it doesn't matter. Kanab has to refer to Dixie. I think when the hospital chains were being broken up in Utah, a few little hospitals were avoided so IHC would only own 2/3 or 3/4 of the entire state's hospitals. Other owners had to sell.

I'm glad IHC has worked for you and you have glowing reports. As a former IHC employee, I'd ask you to clarify exactly which hospitals in the IHC system can you personally validate the care, technology and staff the patients encounter?

I'll be interested in your answer.

MSR

Old 02-12-2016, 08:37 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
As a former employee, I can say that everything I saw at LDS Hospital and IMC was good. A few mistakes happen: one that was on the hospital had them flying the wife from another country, staying at their expense, and no charge to the patient. It should never have happened but that's why they are called "accidents." I put my life in their hands several times with no fear. One mistake was caused by a "traveling nurse, " i.e., one that was not employed by IHC but was called in when they had shortages of nurses.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:41 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chchar View Post
Hows the medical care in Kanab? May be moving to Utah from a place with medical care we're not happy with. What sort of things can the medical center handle or not handle? Do the doctors take new patients? If they're on Medicare? Is there a senior center I could call for info? Does the gym have a pool for aqua aerobics? Anything you can tell me will be appreciated. I've lived in the Midwest and Hawaii - never anyplace like Utah. Thanks
You've had some good replies. I have driven through Kanab many times and even stayed there a couple of times. Its basically a small town with about 3500 people.

The question you have to ask yourself is how good could medical care be in such a small place? The population doesn't support a first class hospital or medical facilities.

The other factor is the long distance between Kanab and good medical care. St. George is seventy miles away. Las Vegas is about 170 miles away. There is a small, but larger hospital in Page, Arizona about 80 miles away. Personally, I would not want to be in Kanab and having to deal with a major medical problem.

If I had significant medical issues and I wanted to live in Southern Utah, I would consider no other place than St. George.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:18 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
My suggestion is to make sure your insurance covers chopper flights to the major hospital in the area. I lived in Moab, they had a nice little hospital which was great for a broken arm, leg, etc.; however, for any major medical emergencies a person was airlifted to St. Mary's in Grand Junction. And I believe the bill was around 10K.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:32 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I think BillyWitchDoctor.com is the lead medical provider out in those parts. Arise chicken, arise!

Nah, but seriously, if you have the concern of needing immediate medical attention for major issues, I'd avoid Kanab. It's pretty remote. Why Kanab anyway? Maybe go an hour west into Hurricane or La Verkin. You can still keep to yourself if you like, but you'll be reasonable driving distance to St. George in an emergency.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:34 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I think BillyWitchDoctor.com is the lead medical provider out in those parts. Arise chicken, arise!

Nah, but seriously, if you have the concern of needing immediate medical attention for major issues, I'd avoid Kanab. It's pretty remote. Why Kanab anyway? Maybe go an hour west into Hurricane or La Verkin. You can still keep to yourself if you like, but you'll be reasonable driving distance to St. George in an emergency.
LaVerkin? Are you serious?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Well, I assume if they want to move to Kanab, the reason is to get away from it all. La Verkin is definitely "away from it all" but still only a 30 minute drive to relatively modern medical care. Kanab is like 90 minutes. I suppose on second thought 30 minutes is still pretty far. Maybe Ivins would've been a better suggestion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah