Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 AM

105 posts, read 478,179 times

Advertisements

Im considering transfering into SUU. Before I come out this summer though I'd like some info on cedar city. Most importantly the work situation. Is there any? I will have to have a job while going to school. Are the people friendly or cliquy? Im in a little hick town right now in alabama and the people are very unfriendly to outsiders(yanks). Im not a mormon so if that means I will have to put up with the same kind of bs I put up with here then I'm not interested. From my experience with the mormons I've met Im thinking this should not be the case. How is the school? Professors threatening to go on strike? Are the classes taught by teaching assistants that dont speak english? Are they stingy about transfering credits in? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:07 PM

78 posts, read 291,405 times
I don't know how SUU is specifically but Cedar is a great place. We loved it there when we lived there and if we hadn't left for famililial reasons would most likely still be there. I found the town very nice and the people very nice as well. As far as the LDS people go most of them are VERY nice and helpful. Of course you are going to get some that aren't...that's just a given in any religion I think. Yes, I am LDS. However I have found more opposition from people because I am.

I have heard nothing but good things about the school. Like I said I am not very familiar with it but a lot of people really love it there.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 PM

105 posts, read 478,179 times
Thanks for the reply Nomianca. From the way you describe Cedar it sounds like a great place to live. I was a little worried after some of the things I heard but you've put me at ease. Im curious what you did for fun(socially) when you lived there. Im guessing there are no clubs or that sort of thing. Vegas is not far away though so that would definately be exciting.

Quote:
Yes, I am LDS. However I have found more opposition from people because I am.
Has this been your experience since leaving Utah? I cant say I can relate because I'm not religious. Although living in the south and not being baptist undoubtedly puts me outside of the loop.

I forgot to ask last time but do you have any idea how much rent and utilities might run.
Thanks

Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,572 times
I don't know what your looking for but I can tell you things Cedar City doesn't have. A nightlife, and that pretty much goes for the whole state outside of SLC. Except for Wal-Mart the town is closed after 8 or 9pm. Employment for college students will be limited to about $5-8/hr. maybe. As far as the LDS influence you'll just have to reach your own conclusions. I've only been on campus a couple times to the water testing dept. I've gone to several colleges and it seems pretty much the same as others. An isolated island of kids not really knowing what they want to do and a teaching staff happy to have a job they can't get fired from. If you have a major, direction and focus your lucky. And if so I'd be looking at larger schools in metro areas where your more likely to network with others and where your employment options after graduation are much greater. Because I don't think many graduates of SUU stay around Cedar for long since there isn't much need for college degrees for the jobs there. But if you don't know what your going to do and are still searching I suppose SUU is as good a place as anywhere else.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,053 times
Cedar City is a great place, but it is a quiet town. Not much night life.

As to SUU, it really depends on what department you are going into. The Computer Science department at SUU is really TERRIBLE, but their Theatre department is great. I was in the Education department myself, and wasn't terribly thrilled with it. The teachers were good, but the administration didn't seem to communicate with the faculty and there were misunderstandings EVERYWHERE. One adviser would tell you one thing, and then a few semesters later you will have a different adviser who will tell you that the other adviser was dead wrong. Again, this has been my personal experience, but I know that many people really like the school. Personally, I had to put up with too much administrative garbage and run-around to ever come back. I would never recommend SUU, although the campus is beautiful.

I love living in Cedar City. I love the small town feel. I didn't love the school, but that's because I have low tolerance for runarounds. (Maybe all universities are like this.) I thank them for my degree, and for the scholarship they gave me. I'm glad I was able to be here.

But my biggest advice would be: Decide on your major before you attend SUU, the quality of their departments vary greatly.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah