Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,552 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is looking to relocate to Pleasant Grove from California. We have 3 young kids, we are not LDS and are worried about the treatment of non LDS kids in schools in the area. Can anyone let me know if this area is as bad as Lehi and others? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM

22 posts, read 128,553 times
Most of Utah County is pretty conservative. I am non-LDS and live in Highland I'd say about 95% of my neighbors are LDS. When we first moved here I'm sure they had reservations about us but once they got to know us they realized that we were good neighbors and pretty much wanted the same things for our children. As time passed by I found things in common with the Mothers in the neighborhood and I even participated in cooking classes at the local ward and have shared many of my Mexican Cooking Recipes. I have children and in the beginning they did have a tough time fitting in. I'll have to say that things are changing everyday. There is more diversity now than 3 years ago and I'm sure more and more new people will relocate to this State. I found my community here to be much friendlier than my community in California. Mutual Respect is the key, if you have good morals and are good persons in general you'll do fine. As for my kids, they were able to make friends (all LDS).
We are now in the process of selling our home to move back to SoCal, we left 2 college age kids that are really struggling to make it, so we decided to move back and rescue them. Our kids here do not want to move back and I have to say I myself have had second thoughts. Get ready for Culture shock, but once you're over it you'll love it here!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 PM

22 posts, read 128,553 times
P.S the schools in Highland are better than Pleasant Grove and Lehi.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 PM

17 posts, read 47,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1 View Post
Hi, my family is looking to relocate to Pleasant Grove from California. We have 3 young kids, we are not LDS and are worried about the treatment of non LDS kids in schools in the area. Can anyone let me know if this area is as bad as Lehi and others? Thanks
rad1 - I actually grew up in Pleasant Grove as a non-Mormon and I had a great childhood experience. I was rather outgoing in high school but never faced any religious 'persecution' so to speak from any of my classmates. The city is about 97% LDS and you will be hard pressed to find any 'non-members' but it is nonetheless a nice city to live in. The schools are good, the city is safe and most people are friendly.

As far as schools go specifically, Lone Peak (in Highland area) is definitely the best school. P. Grove is second. I wouldn't recommend Lehi or American Fork.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:18 AM

14 posts, read 42,646 times
i grew up in good old pg. best damn childhood around, dont worry about mormons they dont bite. man i wish i could go back. i went to vally view then pg junior and then graduated highschool there, if you ask me youll love it.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:28 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,431,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinogrl View Post
Most of Utah County is pretty conservative.
Most? What do you know that I don't?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:16 AM

273 posts, read 1,247,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
There is a girl who works at the Arby's in American Fork that has TWO piercings in one ear! She is definitely NOT conservative!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 AM

17 posts, read 47,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Well, they do have ONE Starbucks. It's all downhill from there I'm sure...

Old 09-21-2008, 03:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
I stopped at the Starbucks in PG while driving through this summer. I noticed that had a Mormon door in the back of Starbucks for the discreet use of some of their customers.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:26 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I stopped at the Starbucks in PG while driving through this summer. I noticed that had a Mormon door in the back of Starbucks for the discreet use of some of their customers.
This is a joke, right? What in the world do you mean by a Mormon door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah