Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 89,106 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recommendations? The most visible groups of people seem to be the BYU standard people, drug abusers, and party animals. The reviews I read over the internet just seems to reinforce the stereotype.

I want a place that is lax on rules, social, and balanced. Don't want to live with orthodox mormons, but I don't want to live somewhere that has a party every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 AM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
What are you going to be doing on the Orem/Provo corridor? Are you a student at on of the local Universities? Are you going to be working in the area? The answers to these questions may produce more balanced answers to your questions.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Honestly, if you are not an orthodox Mormon I wonder why you want to live in the Provo/Orem area. That's primarily who finds the area to their liking. Do you have a job there as the last poster asked? What is your story?

I think you may have difficulty in Orem finding that middle ground you desire between "party animals" and orthodox Mormons.

Are you sure this is where you want to be?

Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I grew up in Orem. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who isn't LDS. I didn't fit in there and moved north to Salt Lake county 20 years ago.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Honestly, if you are not an orthodox Mormon I wonder why you want to live in the Provo/Orem area. That's primarily who finds the area to their liking. Do you have a job there as the last poster asked? What is your story?

I think you may have difficulty in Orem finding that middle ground you desire between "party animals" and orthodox Mormons.

Are you sure this is where you want to be?
I have a part time job, I go to UVU. I got no options, I can't afford to leave, and I already paid for school, I'm not dropping out for some lame ass reason.

I know asking for balanced room mates in Utah is like asking for snow in july but I know there are secular, and responsible people in Utah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
What are you going to be doing on the Orem/Provo corridor? Are you a student at on of the local Universities? Are you going to be working in the area? The answers to these questions may produce more balanced answers to your questions.
Student and working part time, I should've addressed that sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I grew up in Orem. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who isn't LDS. I didn't fit in there and moved north to Salt Lake county 20 years ago.
It's alright, college mormons are more liberal, but just not enough for my taste. Religion isn't a biggie with me, I usually don't talk about it.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:55 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackythefrog View Post
I have a part time job, I go to UVU. I got no options, I can't afford to leave, and I already paid for school, I'm not dropping out for some lame ass reason.

I know asking for balanced room mates in Utah is like asking for snow in july but I know there are secular, and responsible people in Utah.

Student and working part time, I should've addressed that sorry.

It's alright, college mormons are more liberal, but just not enough for my taste. Religion isn't a biggie with me, I usually don't talk about it.

I don't think a non-LDS person would enjoy the Provo/Orem area at all. Glenn Beck has some funny stories about living in Provo long before his conversion to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Provo/Orem is very church centered and there really isn't much to do within a reasonable distance for a full-time student.

I also have to agree with 'college Mormons are more liberal,' nothing could be further from the truth. BYU is notable for having a College Republicans group that is far larger than their College Democrats group. BYU had the largest college Republican delegation at the 2008 Republican National Convention in Minneapolis/St. Paul. College Mormons still do not go out to nightclubs, restaurants, or parties. They also don't drink or smoke or do anything that many kids at secular institutions do. You also have to understand that a large portion of other students will be married.

Note: We could also do without the foul language on this forum and you won't make any friends in Provo/Orem using that kind of language either.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Quote:
Aha! You're asking where in Orem or Provo you should live, not whether you should live in Orem or Provo.

I'd guess the closer to the campus the better. Are there that many possibilities in that immediate area? I graduated from UVCC back in 1988. Not really all that familiar with the area anymore.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I don't think a non-LDS person would enjoy the Provo/Orem area at all. Glenn Beck has some funny stories about living in Provo long before his conversion to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Provo/Orem is very church centered and there really isn't much to do within a reasonable distance for a full-time student.

I also have to agree with 'college Mormons are more liberal,' nothing could be further from the truth. BYU is notable for having a College Republicans group that is far larger than their College Democrats group. BYU had the largest college Republican delegation at the 2008 Republican National Convention in Minneapolis/St. Paul. College Mormons still do not go out to nightclubs, restaurants, or parties. They also don't drink or smoke or do anything that many kids at secular institutions do. You also have to understand that a large portion of other students will be married.

Note: We could also do without the foul language on this forum and you won't make any friends in Provo/Orem using that kind of language either.
I should specify and say UVU mormons are more liberal, with there being gays and people from other ethnic and religious backgrounds. Even if a LDS person does something not LDS like you really think they'd let everyone know? I know of a few girls who aren't virgins and they drink on occasions but are still LDS active. I've noticed the married couples, but there are still singles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Aha! You're asking where in Orem or Provo you should live, not whether you should live in Orem or Provo.

I'd guess the closer to the campus the better. Are there that many possibilities in that immediate area? I graduated from UVCC back in 1988. Not really all that familiar with the area anymore.
That's what I said in the title, where I should live not whether. There are a few options around the area all of which got bad reviews.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
Quote:
I should specify and say UVU mormons are more liberal, with there being gays and people from other ethnic and religious backgrounds. Even if a LDS person does something not LDS like you really think they'd let everyone know? I know of a few girls who aren't virgins and they drink on occasions but are still LDS active. I've noticed the married couples, but there are still singles.

That's what I said in the title, where I should live not whether. There are a few options around the area all of which got bad reviews.
I think that what you are saying is quite a stretch. Having extramarital sex in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is grounds for excommunication, as is violating the Word of Wisdom. In Orem/Provo it would be very difficult to hide that kind of behavior as an LDS person.

The area is pretty consistent, very clean, and very safe. I think you should just make sure you find a clean apartment with good amenities within reasonable distance of UVU. If you are going to room with someone, it is almost guaranteed that they'll require LDS standards.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I think that what you are saying is quite a stretch. Having extramarital sex in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is grounds for excommunication, as is violating the Word of Wisdom. In Orem/Provo it would be very difficult to hide that kind of behavior as an LDS person.

The area is pretty consistent, very clean, and very safe. I think you should just make sure you find a clean apartment with good amenities within reasonable distance of UVU. If you are going to room with someone, it is almost guaranteed that they'll require LDS standards.
How is hard to hide that behavior? Unless you are flaunting and don't even try to be secretive, how would people know? You go into an empty room when no one is around and there you go. My generation is much more open.

Yeah, I found a room I can't drink or smoke, but I can drink coffee and bring women over for the night. Works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: