Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM

336 posts, read 864,416 times

Advertisements

Just seeing what the realtors here in Vancouver have to say about the housing market here in vancouver. My home has been on the market since the beginning of Nov and and I have not had one person look at my home. I don't know if it is not marketed right or if our realtor is not working hard enough to try and sell it. We just had a home in out neighborhood that was built around time and smaller than ours that is on the market for 20K more. I am just curious on input on how you see the real estate market here in Southewest washington.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 AM

30 posts, read 139,871 times
Well first off with the house in your neighborhood, did it sell? It didn't sound like it did so no matter the size or price, I wouldn't worry about it. Now if it sales then yes it is something to consider.

Sellers are still putting their homes up for sale, and there are many different types of sellers with different means of motivation. Many homes are overpriced because the seller doesn't want to think that they can't get the same inflation that their neighbors were getting just a few years ago. The homes that are priced right, and marketed well are still selling.

As of the latest market report (November) Clark County showed an appreciation of 2.2%. Some areas of Vancouver have seen a little less, and some areas have seen a much better return. The inventory in months has dropped from the most recent high of 12 months in Sept. to 11 months in Nov. Just FYI in June 2005 it was 1.7 months.

Active listinga have increased while sold homes has decreased. I blame a lot of this on the national coverage of the housing market. What many people do not understand is the fact that we are in no way in the same trouble as many markets across the country. Last week the interest rate for a 30 year fixed rate dropped from 6% to 5.5% which should really help buyers come out of the wood work, but again no media coverage on this.

Now to your specific situation, your price really can affect the length of time to sale your home. I am not just talking about the price of your home compared to others, but the actual price range of your home. Most homes that are selling right now are from $200-$250,000. As the price increases the less activity there is. High end homes are not selling much right now. This doesn't mean that they are not selling though. Also this past time of year is not known as a real active time anyways with the holidays, etc. Things are seeming to pick up.

As far as your concern if your realtor is doing their part to market your home that is a decision only you can make. A good realtor that is good at marketing and gets the home exposed is becoming really important. It is not like 2004 and 2005 where all you had to do is put it on the MLS and it would sell itself in a week. Again as I said before times have changed.

Here some things that realtors out there are doing to market a home. Every home needs a quality virtual tour, not a cookie cutter, or not one at all. Use all 16 photos on the RMLS so people can get a good feel. The use of web commercials are sent to the client so they can send to their freinds, send it out with every email so everyone that gets an email has a chance to see a commercial on your home. Ads in the local newspaper for rural communities, Columbian, and Home Book. Brokers Opens are a good way to get a lot of Brokers in to see your home. Every home should have high quality color flyers that are always stocked. An 800 number with information on your home that anyone can call 24 hours a day. A device that lets passers-by tune in to their car radio and listen to a transmitted commercial on your home 24-7. Advertisement on Realtor.com, Craigs List, Zillow, and 100's of other internet search engine sites. There are several other ideas and things that realtors will do. Again it is up to you if your agent is doing their job. Just because your home doesn't sell quickly, or there have been no showings for awhile does not mean a realtor isn't doing their job. Make sure there is good communication between the two of you, and make sure you have all of the data. Find someone you feel comfortable with and you think will do a good job.

I wish you the best of luck in selling your home. I know it can be a streesful time so try and stick in there.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 AM

615 posts, read 1,172,358 times
I have a neighbor who had had their home on the market since last April...
The home is priced below value and in great shape with an acre.
With this said they have already dropped the price 70k from the high 300s.
It's very normal if your home is not sold yet even if your listed it back in November.
It's only been a couple of months for you and about year for them. Patience is
the key...............

Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Thank you all for your in put. It really puts me at ease now. Waiting for my husband to return from New Orleans so that we can discuss somethings. It just hard because were trying to move up North for my husband works in snohomish county and the commute it starting to get hectic for him. No the house in our neighborhood has not sold yet, but over the weekend they had an open house and alot of lookers. Our home is in great shape but just no lookers. But we will hang in there a bit longer. I hear that things pick up superbowl weekend is that true?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I depends upon the home, the price, and some dumb luck. We have one on our street that sold in 8 days at a price 8 - 10% more than the seller expected, while we have another nice home where the price has been dropped 5% that has had no offers in three months. I sold a home in Texas in the last year but it took seven months in a decent market.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Yes, high exposure and reasonable price is a must, and I like to have weekly activity reports from internet hits, calls, ...

Hopefully things will pick up soon in the line of activity. I'm trying to get rid of a nice commercial lot, and only have had a few contacts / month, but... this downturn could last many years, so have a plan B, but most of all good luck... the right person just needs to get a glimpse of your place at a point they can act to buy.

Networking is important to get those 'out-lying' buyers. *the 'friends of the neighbors' who no one knew were even looking.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 PM

Thank you all again so much. we are in the situation to where we are ready to move...but also not in to much of a hurry. I guess hubby can endure the commute for some time more or we may even consider renting out. Thank you all again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area