Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 AM

85 posts, read 80,605 times

Advertisements

could have taken place ? Is this a foreclosure home where the purchase was in Dec/2017 for $80,000
and is now listed at $250K...?

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Vancouver/.../home/14599752

and I find this statement on some listed properties...

" original home moved from Hospital in the 80's placed on lot and garage added"

What does that mean ?

All responses and insights are welcomed as to how this took place ! Thank you in advance !

Last edited by nicolemi; 02-05-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:47 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Special Warranty Deed indicates it was likely bank owned at last purchase, so yeah a foreclosure.
http://gis.clark.wa.gov/gishome/Prop...ount=107021638

Looks like it wasn't in great shape. Fixed up by a flipper(current owner) and staged for a nice profit.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:15 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemi View Post
could have taken place ? Is this a foreclosure home where the purchase was in Dec/2017 for $80,000
and is now listed at $250K...?

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Vancouver/.../home/14599752
Looks like they bought it and fixed it up.

Quote:
and I find this statement on some listed properties...

" original home moved from Hospital in the 80's placed on lot and garage added"

What does that mean ?

All responses and insights are welcomed as to how this took place ! Thank you in advance !
Is "Hospital" a nearby street? It's a manufactured home... They're saying it's been moved before, and a garage added. OK if it's been done correctly, but moving a manufactured home (once it's been placed) or adding on to them can make them unable to get future financing.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-05-2018 at 01:52 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 03:26 PM

Thank you notnamed... that was my first inclination that's what it was...

Thank you Diana for your response and that insight you've shared regarding manufactured homes... I'm not sure if there
is a street named Hospital, but it just sounded confusing to me...

Appreciate your time in responding... thank you !

Old 02-05-2018, 05:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Could be one of many homes that where near hospital, and were moved to make room for the larger hospital. iIRC the developer who bought those homes ran out of capital and lost them to lender, before they were ‘placed’ on lots.

I don’t think I Would want a relocated ‘tract’ / Kaiser shipyard era home.

The homes relocated via barge from Bonneville are kinda cute. Several are brick!

Old 02-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Thank you StealthRabbit for that information ! Do homes that are relocated have foundational issues because of the
movement process ? I just was wondering what that sentence meant in some of the listings I came across. Thank you !

Old 02-06-2018, 03:35 PM

The Foundation system might be the BEST part of a moved / relocated home.

Interior cracks and weak joints are my concerns, (including internally broken structure members, that get strained in the move.) You cannot see those members, as you can during construction. Traditional homes are very tough to move without inducing very unconventional stresses.

Speaking as an engineer and a builder.... I have seen so many failures.... ouch. Not what a person needs to inherit in a capital purchase.

That said..... older homes are by far my favorite, because that level of craftsmanship and materials does not exist today.

Coved ceilings and flooring, arches, and built-ins.... + lots of stonework are a MUST for me! None of which are conducive to relocating a structure.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Lol, I guess not seeing what the stress of moving did to those interior walls and other things make sense that the
foundation would be the best part of the moved home.
With your fondness for the older homes because of the workmanship, would you say purchasing one over a newly built
home would be a "safer" purchase, or should I say less expensive in the long run to maintain ?
What upgrades would you look for in an older home and how would you prioritize them ? New roof, flooring, windows, etc.?
What would be the "oldest" home you would consider date wise... 1930 and above, 1960 and above...?
Thank you StealthRabbit for your responses and insights to the posts and threads I initiate... I really appreciate the time
you take to share the knowledge you have with me and others who seek it !!
A warm "mahalo" to you !

Old 02-07-2018, 02:37 AM

Sure, I would always buy older before newer, (I'm a 'craftsman' / artisan builder...(and a toolmaker by trade) from generations of builders / farmers) I really can't stand 'cheesy' 'sheetrock' houses with PLASTIC (PVC) windows and painted MDF (trim). (No offense cuz that is what 80% of the area homes are...) I certainly wouldn't want one, and even worse need to SELL one (1) who would want it , + (2) there are 1000's of others just like it

these are EXPENSIVE items to 're-do' (if you can't do it yourself (I only imagine, as I wouldn't know cuz I do it all myself)
Inside the walls...
wiring... 1935+ (avoid knob and tube wiring) (1960's homes... I am not keen on (Aluminum windows / and potentially aluminum WIRING)
Nice to have updated plumbing (copper rather than galvanized) (Avoid CPVC (1980's) Poly-B of the 1990's)
Insulation' (unless it has been upgraded.. it will be lacking)
Siding... avoid 1990's stucco and wafer board (LP siding) STONE / Brick is nice!!! (but is not EZ to find or seal in PNW) I detest Hardie (very VERY cold / thermal loss in wind)

Roof, very important in PNW we_tside!!! (an EXCELLENT roof job (from the BASE of the roof), (most importantly how it was done, not how recent ... Flashing, curbing / crickets / Valleys / Dormers / materials...)

Basically... a NEW home will only last ~ 15 -25 yrs before the cheesy appliances and components start failing,
so... if an OLDER home has been maintained it will likely outlast a newer home. BUT... Earthquakes (post 1990 homes have more 'tie straps / resilient / seismic features (Stone homes are NOT gonna like an earthquake!)). Liquefaction (earth oozing) will sink the PNW, so stuff may SINK before it breaks apart.

Might be best to BUILD yourself a NICE, QUALITY home! (you will be REALLY impressed and surprised you can make an inexpensive high quality home that is LIVABLE! (enjoyable every moment).
Just takes a couple yrs out of your life, and is a good family project for 'bonding!!!'. Quit the jobs and kids take a break from school (trust me... no harm is done there!), grab a hammer and shovel! Start swinging (don't hit each other!)

It's a true test!

We LOVE doing it... most families do NOT respond that way

So much fun to cruise renovation stores, Habitat ReStores, and used building supplies looking for treasures, then incorporate them into your design. Portland and Salem are mecca's for doing this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: