Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM

472 posts, read 528,782 times

Advertisements

We have been trying to figure out what do this winter. We typically head to CA for December-January-February but our commercial property (Monterey Bay Area) has been fully leased out so it’s no longer an option. One free option is Bakersfield, but not sure if that is where I want to be for longer than a week.

Many of our older/retired friends have homes in Palm Springs CA and Yuma AZ. Instead of just one place I’m thinking maybe a road trip in an RV to each of these locations for a week. Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Lake Havasu, Phoenix, Yuma, Palm Springs, Sand Diego, Santa Maria and back up the coast.

Has anyone done this/similar during the winter. How reasonable is this, are their RV spots available or are they booked up with snowbirds? Where else can we go for an extended stay that’s not super expensive? In addition, we have two big dogs so long distance (plane) travel will be difficult.

What/where do you all do/go when its gray and wet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 12:24 PM

5,474 posts, read 7,771,679 times
We have kids in school so we don't go anywhere during the school year. In fact our college daughter and other extended family come visit us during Thanksdiving and Christmas.

All our exotic and international travel happens during the summer.

When the kids are all finally out of the house we may decide to take some extended winter vacation trips to Chile where my wife is from. Opposite seasons so January is peak summer down there.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:41 PM

467 posts, read 528,380 times
We try to get a week away in January or February to Palm Springs/Indio. We aren't ready to do the whole winter away, but find a week is refreshing. I was raised in southern CA, so it is a good central place to stay put while people come visit me. In the summer we find the PNW just too beautiful to leave.

I think an RV road trip would be fun. The RV parks where people stay long term are usually booked, but there are many that only allow short term booking, so there should be lots of spots. I can guarantee that Bakersfield will not be booked solid (tongue in cheek).

Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 PM

17,344 posts, read 12,301,200 times
Hiking, where you can have the popular trails all to yourselves rather than having to park so far away from the trailhead you have to hike to your hike. Skiing/tubing.

Trips to the coast(just walking the beach collecting agates/shells, renting a place on the beach and listening to the waves, December whale watching), concerts, foodie destinations, burlesque/comedy shows, and pretty much anything else that gets ruined by summer crowds and heat.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
We try to get a week away in January or February to Palm Springs/Indio. We aren't ready to do the whole winter away, but find a week is refreshing. I was raised in southern CA, so it is a good central place to stay put while people come visit me. In the summer we find the PNW just too beautiful to leave.

I think an RV road trip would be fun. The RV parks where people stay long term are usually booked, but there are many that only allow short term booking, so there should be lots of spots. I can guarantee that Bakersfield will not be booked solid (tongue in cheek).
I totally agree with what your saying about Bakersfield :P I think this is our plan. I agree, PNW is just amazing April-October!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Hiking, where you can have the popular trails all to yourselves rather than having to park so far away from the trailhead you have to hike to your hike. Skiing/tubing.

Trips to the coast(just walking the beach collecting agates/shells, renting a place on the beach and listening to the waves, December whale watching), concerts, foodie destinations, burlesque/comedy shows, and pretty much anything else that gets ruined by summer crowds and heat.
Good suggestions. The parks seem to be closed in the winter, even the local ones so thats always a bummer.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:50 AM

102,243 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
We have kids in school so we don't go anywhere during the school year. In fact our college daughter and other extended family come visit us during Thanksdiving and Christmas.

All our exotic and international travel happens during the summer.

When the kids are all finally out of the house we may decide to take some extended winter vacation trips to Chile where my wife is from. Opposite seasons so January is peak summer down there.
Don't your kids have a winter break between semesters?

Old 09-12-2019, 01:45 PM

5,474 posts, read 7,771,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't your kids have a winter break between semesters?
Well yes, but that's peak travel season so tickets anywhere else are expensive and flights are crowded. Even nearby places like Sunriver go WAY WAY up in price during the Christmas holidays. Usually during Christmas break family comes to see us. Oldest daughter comes home from college and grandparents come to visit. So usually during the holidays we have a house full of people and we just do stuff locally. My wife insisted that we buy a large house than we really needed for that exact reason.

We have in the past taken the kids and gone down to South America to visit family during the holidays. But that is a very expensive peak season journey. Plus my wife in the medical field can rarely get off both Christmas AND New Years, usually just one or the other. So long trips over the holidays are difficult. Simply much easier and cheaper during the summer.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,190,820 times
NZ and AU, Thailand / SE Asia, and South America are good choices for USA winter escapes. There are some really inexpensive fares to Oceania and SE Asia (<$500 RT). We need to go to SE Asia for Medical tune-ups anyway (As do many Europeans during winter). Apartments on beach are $400 / month, food <$10 / day (eating out for 2), Massage for $4 on beach in Thailand. Scooter $30 / month. NZ and AU are inexpensive from SE Asia (via Scoot or Air Asia)

Within USA, SWA is currently running a $59 fare to LA and Bay area so I book 2x / month in winter, (I used to LUV the Spirit $19.90 direct flights to San Diego (no rental car / hotel required in SAN)). Now you need to fly Spirit through LAS (not my favorite destination, but I do go to Valley of Fire and Death Valley from LAS in winter.)

PHX is often <$100 RT, Several PNW retiree friends have homes in Palm Desert or Desert Hot Springs (CA). ( I find that are too boring / I don't golf but like to be outdoors most of the daylight hours)

I have several PNW retired friends who now live in AZ. They all have extra RV hook-ups and many from Vancouver rotate their RV's through these 'free' sites, Others bought 'used Platinum' memberships with Thousand Trails (sites in most states, one really nice place near Tombstone AZ (Cochese Cty is very nice for outdoors activities). Some friends have FT leased RV sites in AZ ~ $400 / month. including clubhouse. My mom did many yrs in BLM RV sites (serviced) such as Parker Dam (Included a 9 hole Golf course) She also bought a house boat (very cheap <$5,000) and used it for 10 yrs on Parker Res.

I find it best to have a 'direct' flight to winter getaways. saves a bunch of commute time. We keep a cheap car in CO and TX at a storage lot near airport (~$50 / month) and Use Lyft from airport to storage lot. Diesel cars don't mind sitting for long periods in the heat, Gas (ick) cars will not be so happy doing that (ethanol evaporates).

I have income properties / rural homes in San Antonio area and Colorado which are nice sun spots during PNW winter. Each are rented and have free place (Cabin) for me to stay + RV sites for traveling friends. Deductible travel between sites (as allowed by IRS).

Plan to add a winter destination in Columbia or Ecuador, and probably near where we lived in Spain or Italy. EZ to rent furnished place, or we will use an extra residence at a farm or winery (usually plenty of homes / flats for hired help,)

Greece would be an alternative winter stay (medical and drugs are very cheap), Outer islands are very inexpensive for LT stays.

We keep someone in our PNW home to care for livestock, pets, plants, mail, and frozen pipes / down wires, and snow removal. (Separate living space in each home, for future caregiver space). We are not in WA a majority of the time anyway. (winter or summer) for this 'season-or-retirement'. This may change in the future. $47 / day property taxes makes it expensive to keep WA home. (cost basis <$100k, so home gets 'purchased again' from tax assessor every 7 yrs). Add medical costs + med ins, = not wise to stay in USA as a retiree without pension or HC.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,446,098 times
I go in my cave with the other bats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: