Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 01:20 PM

206 posts, read 187,586 times

Advertisements

Liza Sejkora has received threats following her controversial Facebook post likening basketball star's death to 'karma catching up with a rapist'

https://www.camaspostrecord.com/news...ter-kobe-post/

What was she thinking really? Some people have no social media etiquette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 03:06 PM

17,376 posts, read 12,337,391 times
Yeah, even if the rape allegation was true her statement implies his daughter and everyone else on the helicopter also deserved it just for being with him.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:33 PM

5,499 posts, read 7,795,298 times
This story went national, on the New York Times even. Now there are a bazillion internet trolls from across the world gleefully organizing an online lynch mob from their mother's basements in places like Toledo Ohio and trying to claim a scalp. I expect in a few days it will die down and they will move on to the next big "outrage"

Reason #9859 to be careful what you write online. People who *should* know better keep learning that lesson the hard way. I suppose it doesn't help when we have the example we have in the Oval Office who keeps pushing the envelope on twitter with glee.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:49 PM

17,376 posts, read 12,337,391 times
Yeah in the education field in particular I would either have no social media presence or everything under false names and only accessed with a VPN.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:53 PM

103 posts, read 92,176 times
I know Jeff Snell and respect him. While I think it was absolutely stupid what she posted, I'm not sure if it merited being put on leave. I don't agree one bit with what she wrote but I also think everyone is overreacting. Just shows that we should all be careful about what we post online.

As I post my opinions online...

Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
I know Jeff Snell and respect him. While I think it was absolutely stupid what she posted, I'm not sure if it merited being put on leave. I don't agree one bit with what she wrote but I also think everyone is overreacting. Just shows that we should all be careful about what we post online.

As I post my opinions online...
They were getting absolutely deluged by troll outrage from around the country on the school emails and web site and such after the story went viral and reddit trolls and such were drumming up outrage and sending around the school and administrator emails for spamming outrage. People were emailing in death threats and such. Parents were getting alarmed and panicking. Huge threads on the topic on NextDoor and school-related facebook groups. Russian hackers were sending around phishing emails within the district impersonating Snell and Sejkora to try to get employees to click on them and allow hacking into the school servers and I don't know what all. They needed to have her away from the school for a bit until things died down.

I don't have the slightest bit of inside information but I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like temporarily reassign her to some out of the way central office administrative job and elevate one of the assistant principals to be temporary acting principals while they decide what to do and reassess.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:14 AM

2,076 posts, read 1,654,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, even if the rape allegation was true her statement implies his daughter and everyone else on the helicopter also deserved it just for being with him.
That is the tragedy of the whole situation - multiple lives ended. I believed the accuser back in 2003, but I followed the story on the Daily Camera at Boulder. The prosecution fumbled the case badly much like Marcia Clark did against OJ. The judge was really upset with them, and ultimately too much information was leaked.

The problem with rape allegations by women is that the system puts the burden of proof on them. It's like she had to have a DNA rape kit, video/audio, and 3 or 4 witnesses just to barely get a slight nod of belief from the die-hard Kobe fans. Such evidence would be unrealistic.

Times have changed since the 1950s. Back then if a well-known black athlete like Archie Moore or Floyd Patterson had been caught with white women (especially one who looked like Marilyn Monroe), they probably would have been lynched. Moore was a middle-aged, black boxer who knocked down Marciano but wasn't given the full count - the referee took his time. In those days, the racist white fanbase didn't want their hero to lose to a black guy. But in modern times the masses seem to support Kobe and blatantly refute the white woman. This seems to suggest racial tension regarding interracial dating has faded. But gender discrimination and the huge burden of proof on a woman's rape allegation remains.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:41 AM

103 posts, read 92,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
The problem with rape allegations by women is that the system puts the burden of proof on them. It's like she had to have a DNA rape kit, video/audio, and 3 or 4 witnesses just to barely get a slight nod of belief from the die-hard Kobe fans. Such evidence would be unrealistic.
The burden of proof always rests on the state. Innocent until proven guilty is how our legal system is supposed to work. Anything else is no justice system at all.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:06 AM

8,224 posts, read 16,750,447 times
This thing seems to be causing more problems for Camas High School. They put the school on lockdown this morning, apparently, due to suspicious people walking around the campus. I pray to God this doesn't become another Columbine situation with a big red target on the school. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unhinged people in our society looking for reasons to do something criminal.

Derek

Old 02-07-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This thing seems to be causing more problems for Camas High School. They put the school on lockdown this morning, apparently, due to suspicious people walking around the campus. I pray to God this doesn't become another Columbine situation with a big red target on the school. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unhinged people in our society looking for reasons to do something criminal.

Derek
This morning was completely stupid. Some hysterical mom dropping her kid off at the HS thought she saw two suspicious people who didn't belong on campus. So they put the whole school on lockdown, called the police, and went through all the video footage from around the school until they finally got it sorted out. Turns out it was just two ordinary HS boys in hoodies walking to school and taking a shortcut to campus across one of the fields or something. [[Yes mom, not all kids have a private chauffeur to school. Some kids do walk to school and they choose the shortest route, not the one the cars take! Imagine that.]]

Hopefully the hysteria will die down soon and the out-of-state reddit trolls will move on to the next fun thing.

And even the Columbine situation wasn't this. It was a home-grown psychopath, not something inspired on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area