Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 09:51 PM

472 posts, read 525,989 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

It's so quiet in there, what's up with that?

I'm wondering how often do the trains, Amtrack, Oil and anything else run in the Evergreen area of Vancouver (see map)

Anyone that lives in this area know? I did a search but could not find anything recent.

Attached Thumbnails
How often do trains (Amtrack, Oil, other?) run along hwy 14 (Evergreen Neighborhood)-trains.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 12:15 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I can't give you an actual frequency, but it is pretty often since it is the BN mainline. You see oil trains all the time. Not so much Amtrack. That is the Empire Builder that runs from Portland to Chicago but I don't think they run more than one or two trains per day.

My daughter has a friend who lives down there along the Columbia and you have to cross the tracks to get to her house (unguarded crossing) and the trains seem to fly through there with pretty high frequency.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I can't give you an actual frequency, but it is pretty often since it is the BN mainline. You see oil trains all the time. Not so much Amtrack. That is the Empire Builder that runs from Portland to Chicago but I don't think they run more than one or two trains per day.

My daughter has a friend who lives down there along the Columbia and you have to cross the tracks to get to her house (unguarded crossing) and the trains seem to fly through there with pretty high frequency.
Thanks td, I was hoping for a number, if twice a day thats not bad. When we go to Beacon Rock it feels like the trains are every hour, but that might not be the actual number. I've been told that they have to slowdown and cant blow horns, vs Felida where its an anything goes situation.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
Thanks td, I was hoping for a number, if twice a day thats not bad. When we go to Beacon Rock it feels like the trains are every hour, but that might not be the actual number. I've been told that they have to slowdown and cant blow horns, vs Felida where its an anything goes situation.
This article is a few years old but says 40-45 per day and that was 2018. I think it has increased since then.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/...on-systemwide/

Old 06-20-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
This article is a few years old but says 40-45 per day and that was 2018. I think it has increased since then.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/...on-systemwide/
Wow, that seems like a lot! I actually talked to some residents in the area yesterday and experienced a few trains passing. They thought it was around 20-25 a day. I experienced two trains in the hour and a half I was there. To my surprise it was not bad, the neighbors confirmed that the horn blowing was stopped a few years back. The trains are moving pretty quickly so the real noise is from the engine, once that portion of the train quickly passes the rest is pretty quite.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Noise and vibration may be the least of your worries, if living near a high volume rail line. I had several friends who lived along evergreen highway and below (adjacent to track). After 40 yrs, only one still remains. They are closer to SR 14 than the tracks, so don't need to cross the tracks, unless going to the river.

The noise and rumble is pretty easy to get used to. Lull you to sleep.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Noise and vibration may be the least of your worries, if living near a high volume rail line. I had several friends who lived along evergreen highway and below (adjacent to track). After 40 yrs, only one still remains. They are closer to SR 14 than the tracks, so don't need to cross the tracks, unless going to the river.

The noise and rumble is pretty easy to get used to. Lull you to sleep.
When I was a kid we lived a couple blocks from the large Southern Pacific switchyard in Eugene. All day and night the railroad was switching cars, slamming them into each other, starting and stopping trains, etc. Which always made clashing sounds. We never once really noticed it growing up but when we had visitors they complained about being kept up all night from the banging.

Same thing happened in Texas. We lived for a while next to a shooting range which was in heavy use, especially on weekends. We quickly stopped hearing it but visitors were freaked out by all the nearby gunfire.

So it is easy to get used to pretty much anything.

My fear of living down along the river is that one of my kids would be inattentive and drive their car into an incoming train because they come through there fast pretty quietly (especially if your kid is listening to music in the car) and all those private drives do not have crossing gates. I'm frankly surprised that more people aren't killed by trains. It does happen every so often though.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:25 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Like this….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lL3PODLf_A

Old 06-25-2023, 08:18 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
When I was a kid we lived a couple blocks from the large Southern Pacific switchyard in Eugene. All day and night the railroad was switching cars, slamming them into each other, starting and stopping trains, etc. Which always made clashing sounds. We never once really noticed it growing up but when we had visitors they complained about being kept up all night from the banging.

Same thing happened in Texas. We lived for a while next to a shooting range which was in heavy use, especially on weekends. We quickly stopped hearing it but visitors were freaked out by all the nearby gunfire.

My fear of living down along the river is that one of my kids would be inattentive and drive their car into an incoming train because they come through there fast pretty quietly (especially if your kid is listening to music in the car) and all those private drives do not have crossing gates. I'm frankly surprised that more people aren't killed by trains. It does happen every so often though.
I recently talked with a guy who lives down there right along the Columbia and next the train. When I asked him if it bothers him, he said it did the first few years until he adjusted to it. Now it doesn't bother him.

I honestly think it varies per person/family depending on how lightly one sleeps, etc... There are somewhat loud noises at night I love after growing up at the beach very close by. Those include big waves crashing on the shore, fog horns and sea lions barking. We heard those things often. However, the train may seem more disruptive. It's just hard to say until experiencing it. I can't stand hearing road noise, for example, and would never want to get used to that. But some of the most expensive real estate is right there along the Columbia with some beautiful homes. I'm thinking they likely have better sound proofing including triple pane windows and better insulation. Even if just the bedroom had more sound proofing it would help.

Derek

Old 07-24-2023, 11:45 AM

13,642 posts, read 9,698,765 times
This would be a most unfortunate thing of which to come to be apprised, as I had been considering buying a place in that very area, but one of my main criteria is auditory serenity. Ironically, in sparsely-populated locales, any one particular noise, feels all the louder. Urban cacophony tends to mask blaring horns, loud stereos or police helicopters. Comparatively placid and unpopulated areas are jarred by something like a passing train. It's unfortunate that a railroad goes right through such a scenic and residentially-valuable place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: