Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyvancity View Post
Fusion wrote: the Canadian one was a real dick.. I almost got so sick of his probing questions that I felt like saying just send me to secondary and do a full car and body cavity search - you'll find nothing and we can all be on our way instead of asking me every single detail of my travel habits. When he found out I was gay he kept going - oh i'm not judging i'm not judging - umm yeah you are you ****ing closet case.....Well, you know there has been a spike in GAY Terrorists in north america lately. ...oh cmon, it was probably just your garden variety over zealous canada customs guard hoping to catch you in a massive duty swindling scam . I am NOT gay myself, but i stopped driving cross border just the year before they required a passport (and not just only flash your drivers license.) as i got fed up with interrogation by canada customs (as a single young 18-38 year old man, white, clean cut, always employed, never a criminal record or acted nervously at border crossings), the line ups, the attitudes, the vehicle searches and finally...the duty tax collecting . No offence to you , Fusion, i really believe the customs just wanted to try to catch you in a lie and see if you were hiding a small brick of gouda cheese or a few packs of cheap cigars in your vehicle so they could s -c-r-e-w you over with more taxes (rather then them being anti-gay or racist).
Yeah yeah I know a latent closet case when I see him. You weren't there - I was and I haven't divulged all of the conversation because it wouldn't be appropriate to discuss in this forum but I pretty much stand by what I said based on what I experienced 100... He didn't catch me in a lie but he's probably living in one lol.. Poor boy - he was pretty cute though I must admit I was a bit upset that such a looker would be so nasty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 PM

34 posts, read 80,335 times
as i mentioned, i used to get a bit hassled when i was younger (ages 18-35) with the cnd border crossing guards (and just more or less treated a bit with suspicion by the american guards, but majority were good to me). But this one time!..lol...i drove from Vancouver with my older cousin to visit my Aunt near Penticton. Next day we drove to osoyoos and crossed the border from canadian Okanagan to USA okanagan. We were bored and i mentioned a little mexican buffet that i tried a few times when i was younger with another cousin...this was in Orville, Washington. So, immediately at the American entrance i was given dirty looks and asked to come inside the guard offices where they had me fill out a 100 questionaire sheet with all my info and purpose. Then the jerk smiled and said..''okay, you boys can go...enjoy your trip.''....right away i knew we got flagged for being two greasy Guidos from Vancouver who must surely be big time drug /money launderers. At the mexican diner..i was sitting and eating with my cousin when i casually looked out the window and saw a undercover /unmarked police car across the street with two men staring at the diner we were sitting in. After eating our lunch, we drove over to Prince's Market in Oroville and killed time. I bought mini cigars and cheapo sunglasses. So i saId to my cousin ''Expect a big hassle at the border..i know its coming, dont get upset..just be cool and we get thru all the crap. ''. Drove to cnd border and one entrance closed, the other open...with two guards holding rifles down to their sides and a third cnd guard holding a big german shepherd on its leash .So, they grin..tell me where to park...we get told to exit car....they seperate us, check us out, pat us down, start interrogating us outside 15 feet from my car...meanwhile the german shep is in my car sniffing for drugs and another guard using floor mirrors to look under my vehicle. They check computer and see i have no criminal record, barely a speeding ticket that was paid 12 years prior (my cousin had no record) and after all questions asked i was asked to go inside the cnd border office and was made to pay $18 duty on my 2 packs of mini cigars and $12 sunglasses....just because they saw how wrong they were about their crimminal hunch....but just had to collect some duty to make it worth their while. This was all before 9/11. ...maybe summer 2007. Nowadays i shop online for usa products and do my best to stiff the cnd govt out of their taxes as much as i can

Old 05-29-2017, 11:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

.....This was all before 9/11. ...maybe summer 2007. ......

9/11 happened on Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

Quote:

At the mexican diner..i was sitting and eating with my cousin when i casually looked out the window and saw a undercover /unmarked police car across the street ......
So I guess the American border officials were so suspicious of you that they tipped off the police in Washington to keep an eye on you, and they also told the Canadian border officials to watch for you when you came back into Canada again. They are known to cooperate with each other that way.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-30-2017 at 12:02 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 09:17 AM

''9/11 happened on Tuesday, September 11, 2001. '' <<<<my apologies, i got that horrible tragedy date mixed up. But yes, you are correct about the govt authorities cooperating with each other, that i would expect but not over a couple of goofs just crossing the border a long way from home...i imagine they were all very bored with their lives and needed some kind of excitement. By the way, i have heard and read about how border crossing agents on either side of the cnd/american border have all sorts of means to spy on people as they sit in their vehicles waiting to cross . One such thing i read is that they have extremely sensitive listening devices they use to pick up on conversations border crossers have while sitting in their vehicles....apparently they can listen in /zone in on a vehicle in a lineup from upto 500 feet away. They then use that info (if something bad/suspicious) to hold and question . (in my situation my cousin and I were most likely discussing mexican food and what to do when we return to Penticton for the last 2-3 days of our trip to my aunt's home).

Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
as i mentioned, i used to get a bit hassled when i was younger (ages 18-35) with the cnd border crossing guards (and just more or less treated a bit with suspicion by the american guards, but majority were good to me). But this one time!..lol...i drove from Vancouver with my older cousin to visit my Aunt near Penticton. Next day we drove to osoyoos and crossed the border from canadian Okanagan to USA okanagan. We were bored and i mentioned a little mexican buffet that i tried a few times when i was younger with another cousin...this was in Orville, Washington. So, immediately at the American entrance i was given dirty looks and asked to come inside the guard offices where they had me fill out a 100 questionaire sheet with all my info and purpose. Then the jerk smiled and said..''okay, you boys can go...enjoy your trip.''....right away i knew we got flagged for being two greasy Guidos from Vancouver who must surely be big time drug /money launderers. At the mexican diner..i was sitting and eating with my cousin when i casually looked out the window and saw a undercover /unmarked police car across the street with two men staring at the diner we were sitting in. After eating our lunch, we drove over to Prince's Market in Oroville and killed time. I bought mini cigars and cheapo sunglasses. So i saId to my cousin ''Expect a big hassle at the border..i know its coming, dont get upset..just be cool and we get thru all the crap. ''. Drove to cnd border and one entrance closed, the other open...with two guards holding rifles down to their sides and a third cnd guard holding a big german shepherd on its leash .So, they grin..tell me where to park...we get told to exit car....they seperate us, check us out, pat us down, start interrogating us outside 15 feet from my car...meanwhile the german shep is in my car sniffing for drugs and another guard using floor mirrors to look under my vehicle. They check computer and see i have no criminal record, barely a speeding ticket that was paid 12 years prior (my cousin had no record) and after all questions asked i was asked to go inside the cnd border office and was made to pay $18 duty on my 2 packs of mini cigars and $12 sunglasses....just because they saw how wrong they were about their crimminal hunch....but just had to collect some duty to make it worth their while. This was all before 9/11. ...maybe summer 2007. Nowadays i shop online for usa products and do my best to stiff the cnd govt out of their taxes as much as i can
Paragraphs please.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:45 PM

nah, no need ..easy to read and understand.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
nah, no need ..easy to read and understand.
http://www.archbishopbeck.com/docs/L...Paragraphs.pdf

Old 06-02-2017, 07:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I just read this "article" (it's really too skimpy to call it more than a blurb) in the Montreal Gazette. You can buy this house that sits right on the Quebec/Vermont border. It's a dump -- it has to be for $109K -- but I think it's pretty cool to be on both sides.

Want to live in both Canada and the U.S.? Home on border for sale | Montreal Gazette

Old 07-29-2017, 10:22 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
There have been motion detectors on farms near the border since the seventies. I bought hay from old Jack Van Wiessen who owned lots of acreage literally right on the border. We even had a locked gate and only the US border and we had the keys.
The 1/3 acre parcels at the top of 0 Avenue in the Hazelmere Valley were developed by a cool guy in Tswassen by the name of Jack Gregory. He and his wife owned the pink waterfront house on the bad moon side of Tsw. They'd always be on the news sandbagging their property when tides/moon pull meant biz.

I used to run from my five acres on horseback through H St., the gravel land holdings, across 0 into Campbell Valley Park and it's horse trails and come out by my uncle's acreage.

The same deer herd used to visit both parcels of land on both border sides. One big buck in particular both my uncle and I saw on our respective properties. I used to joke that give me a mule (not an uncommon site in Whatcom County, WA) and I could be shopping in Ferndale before a pack of coon hounds could get on me, and I'd only cross four roads.

TODAY however it's not fun all along the border. On the Canadian side everyone is a snitch big time. (No surprise) And the border both ways doesn't have much of a sense of humor, or humour, any more. At least they haven't built a wall yet!

Old 07-29-2017, 10:28 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default to actually answer your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Holy crap. I just found this on Google Maps! I can't believe that, basically, the backyards of houses in Washington back up to this street in BC....with nothing but a few posts and a trench to serve as the international boundary! I want to know what it would be like to live in one of these houses... would you never be allowed past your fence without going through Canadian customs at the designated points? It seems almost crazy...and I love the footpath through grass at one of the roads that dead ends at the international boundary in WA.

Who here has been down this crazy road?
If you are a Canadian citizen returning to Canada, you actually DON'T have to report into a border check if you have nothing to declare, and no reason to report. That is, if you owned a house in Blaine, Wa and it backed onto Canada, you could literally waltz across the border.

The catch TODAY is that when you next presented yourself with documents to enter the USA you would be shown as still being inside the US. Explanations would then be problematic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver