Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 16 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,930,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateblue View Post
I remember that in 2007 was the first time when the spring and summer skipped us. In 2008, in June I recall wearing my winter coat - it was between 6C and 10C for the whole month. Then summer sucked too. There were like 3-4 weeks of nice weather.

2009 was awesome!
then back to crap. Last year there was no spring and only 4 weeks of summer.

This year, so far, there is no spring. And I am not holding my breath for summer either. So yeah, no snow in the winter, but no summer either.

4 weeks of summer is just not enough. It's pathetic really. Today I am wearing my winter clothes and it's May. I don't expect to wear any of my spring/summer clothes until the second week of July.

So yeah, it is getting worse and worse. Normally, in May, prior to 2007 was actually decent, high teens and sunny.

Did you read my post before yours and agree with my post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,152,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Did you read my post before yours and agree with my post?
Please agree with him ASAP. He needs it badly. You'll be sorry if you hesitate to agree for too long. Too long means, you've to agree pretty soon.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:45 PM

71 posts, read 172,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Please agree with him ASAP. He needs it badly. You'll be sorry if you hesitate to agree for too long. Too long means, you've to agree pretty soon.

lol.

I don't know if there is a 3,4 or 7 year cycle. I am just documenting what i noticed in the last few years. That the weather here is gradually becoming worse, where humongous majority of the year is experiencing 10C drizzle overcast days with May November and June completely indistinguishable and summer is disappearing with current summer (real warm days) is at 5 week lengthwise.

I am just tired of constant portrayal of vancity as a sunny photos on travel brochures when it is anything but.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
lol. Your sentence there is so ridiculous. It is perfectly fine if someone does not agree with me.

It was just that it seems like Slateblue had similar opinions as I do about the Pacific Northwest weather/climate and how it is much better during certain years than other years(For example 2009 had much better weather in the Pacific Northwest than the year 2010 and how 2011 was so far).... which makes a HUGE difference in how many people view the weather in the Pacific Northwest. For example, I viewed Pacific Northwest weather much more positively in 2009 while for 2010 and how 2011 is so far I view it more negatively.

However, I dont feel like the Pacific Northwest weather/climate is permanently getting worse. There probably is some sort of decade cycle or century cycle thing going on with 1 "good" weather, then 2 "bad" weather years, then 3 "good" weather years or something like that. I heard most years in the 1990s and early 2000s in the Pacific Northwest had as good weather as 2009, and that the weather in 2010 and how it was so in 2011 was the worst weather people saw there for that place in a few decades.

Last edited by ; 05-05-2011 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
lol. Your sentence there is so ridiculous. It is perfectly fine if someone does not agree with me.

It was just that it seems like Slateblue had similar opinions as I do about the Pacific Northwest weather/climate and how it is much better during certain years than other years(For example 2009 had much better weather in the Pacific Northwest than the year 2010 and how 2011 was so far).... which makes a HUGE difference in how many people view the weather in the Pacific Northwest. For example, I viewed Pacific Northwest weather much more positively in 2009 while for 2010 and how 2011 is so far I view it more negatively.

However, I dont feel like the Pacific Northwest weather/climate is permanently getting worse. There probably is some sort of decade cycle or century cycle thing going on with 1 "good" weather, then 2 "bad" weather years, then 3 "good" weather years or something like that. I heard most years in the 1990s and early 2000s in the Pacific Northwest had as good weather as 2009, and that the weather in 2010 and how it was so in 2011 was the worst weather people saw there for that place in a few decades.
I came here in 1996, and from my observations 1997 was pretty bad. 1998 was great though and 1999 was OK, 2000 was OK, 2001 was cool and so was the 2002. 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 were warm but not nearly as warm as 2009. And it's been getting ****tier and ****tier ever since (aside from 2009).

Actually 2009 was the best weather.

Maybe you are right about cycles, maybe not. The reason why I posted this thread is I wanted to see how people are coping with the lack of spring. That, and I am tired of hearing portrayals of this place as if it were some kind of mecca. There is severe lack of sun here. Lack of summer and lack of spring. Before people used to leave town for vacay in the winter to get away from 9C drizzle. Seems that nowdays you need to do that in the summer too. Since up until second week of July the weather is the same.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateblue View Post
I came here in 1996, and from my observations 1997 was pretty bad. 1998 was great though and 1999 was OK, 2000 was OK, 2001 was cool and so was the 2002. 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 were warm but not nearly as warm as 2009. And it's been getting ****tier and ****tier ever since (aside from 2009).

Actually 2009 was the best weather.

Maybe you are right about cycles, maybe not. The reason why I posted this thread is I wanted to see how people are coping with the lack of spring. That, and I am tired of hearing portrayals of this place as if it were some kind of mecca. There is severe lack of sun here. Lack of summer and lack of spring. Before people used to leave town for vacay in the winter to get away from 9C drizzle. Seems that nowdays you need to do that in the summer too. Since up until second week of July the weather is the same.
That is interesting how so many years in the 1990s and 2000s(up to 2006) were much better weather/climate years for Vancouver than how the year 2010 was like.

Did you view Vancouver weather/climate more positively in the nicer weather years such as 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2009? That is interesting Vancouver had better weather in general 9 years in a row from 1998 to 2006. And almost 4 bad weather years in a row from 2007 to 2011(with the exception of 2009).

I really hope it is a decade/century cycle thing and not the Vancouver weather/climate permanently getting worse. Maybe 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2011 so far are being extra bad in weather/climate so the rest of 2011, 2012, and the next few years after that being better for weather.

Well, other than weather problems Vancouver sometimes has, Vancouver also has a very high cost of living(for both rentals and also house/apartment buying) while having relatively low salaries and employment opportunities to not help with the high cost of living. I also hear crime rate is rising there. Also in some ways, there is lack of architecture diversity in Vancouver too. Vancouver still has lots of things going for it but but those things I mentioned seem like they are ruining the awesomeness of Vancouver lately quite a bit.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 PM

I personally don't think Vancity has much going for it at all. The reason why it's so popular is because it's the only place in Canada where you don't have to shovel snow. If it snowed here in the winter, this would be a god forsaken place similar to any other small town in Canada. You can't see the mountains on a crappy rainy day anyways. I work in North Van and my gorgeous office faces north and guess what? I can't see these much talked about mountains 90% of the time. All I see is heavy gray clouds.

I honestly don't know how much longer I can stand living in the gray perma-drizzle. Vancity used to redeem itself April to September, and now that seems to be no longer the case.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,313,251 times
It's coming slateblue .. it's coming. One of these days when you least expect it, that sun is going to pop and wow you.

Hang in there. .. it's coming, .. one of these days.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,447,266 times
My friend wrote the following in her online magazine newsletter, and I love her attitude:

Hello, friends,

The rains have started again. And with the rain, apathy, despondency and morose jokes about Vancouver weather. But I don't want to hear it.

When it's sunny and gorgeous and the city a sea of smiles, you tell me, "But the rain'll be here tomorrow; better enjoy the sun while you can." Then when it's rainy and cold and the streets a veritable ocean of sadness, you get snarky and mean, oppressed by what you forget are only passing clouds.

Get over it.

My challenge to you is to grab a wide-brimmed hat, your knee-length overcoat and a buddy or two and get wet. Find an adventure—an art show, a music show, a dance party, whatever—and stop punishing the city's eager culture-creators with low attendance numbers. You'll be happier, I promise. And so will the creatives who're trying to eke out a living injecting our community with art and vibrancy.

We complain about No Fun City, but let's do something about it. Live your city, rain or shine.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
My friend wrote the following in her online magazine newsletter, and I love her attitude:

Hello, friends,

The rains have started again. And with the rain, apathy, despondency and morose jokes about Vancouver weather. But I don't want to hear it.

When it's sunny and gorgeous and the city a sea of smiles, you tell me, "But the rain'll be here tomorrow; better enjoy the sun while you can." Then when it's rainy and cold and the streets a veritable ocean of sadness, you get snarky and mean, oppressed by what you forget are only passing clouds.

Get over it.

My challenge to you is to grab a wide-brimmed hat, your knee-length overcoat and a buddy or two and get wet. Find an adventure—an art show, a music show, a dance party, whatever—and stop punishing the city's eager culture-creators with low attendance numbers. You'll be happier, I promise. And so will the creatives who're trying to eke out a living injecting our community with art and vibrancy.

We complain about No Fun City, but let's do something about it. Live your city, rain or shine.

Your friend is obviously not affected by the lack of sun to the same extent as people who are snarky/morose/etc.

With all due respect, everyone is different. Majority of people out there need to see the sun in May at least once in awhile and preferably for longer than 15 minutes at a time. After 7 months of perma-drizzle, I just can't get excited and don rain boots with umbrella to go to some art exhibit of a questionable value. It just doesn't excite me after spending 7 months donning rain boots every freakin' day.

If she can find her mojo, good for her. But she shouldn't expect everyone to be cheery-rosy in May with 9C sun-less gray drizzle weather.
And by the way these are not "only passing clouds". It would be OK if they were. These particular clouds will pass and the new ones will replace them right away, creating perma cloudy days - sometimes WEEKS in a row during spring. If I had 2 rainy days a week, i wouldn't mind as much. But at this point, in May, it's 9C outside, I haven't seen the sun in two days and the next three are supposed to be just as crappy. So no, they are not just passing clouds. She obviously doesn't know what "just passing clouds" are. Hint: they leave in few minutes, not few weeks.

Last edited by slateblue; 05-06-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver