Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 05:11 PM

216 posts, read 449,206 times

Advertisements

Short backstory: Lived In Vancouver forever, moved to Alberta for ten years, moved back 3 months ago.

This isn't the same city. I moved back 3 months ago and it just feels so weird here now, so alien. There's a feeling that this city is so bland, so cliche and so boring.
I think I made a mistake. The stupid policies of the liberal gov't, the HST(BIG F*** you for that), the mentality of some people.

I Know I'm just rambling but I miss the business friendly environment of Alberta. I miss seeing happy families, people doing things for their community. I miss house prices that were somewhat reasonable, not somewhere in the stratosphere.
I miss seeing people actually make a living and not struggle just to
A: eat
or
B: pay for somewhere to sleep. The homelessness situation here is ten times worse than in 2002.
I miss people actually knowing how to drive, and having synchronized lights! I miss proper roads that actually move fairly fast.
I miss actual winter. I never thought I would say that in a million years, but the rains kill my soul. It makes me so depressed I can't stand it. I'll take a cold, windy, snowy but SUNNY day over a warm-ish but rainy cloudy day.
The only 2 reasons I'm considering staying is the geographic beauty of the place and the proximity to the border. When the sun actually shines it's an awe-inspiring place to live. I like having cool shopping only minutes on the other side of the line. I'll give it that. However the big drawbacks are the HST, the insane house prices, some of the people, the crime, the homelessness and the rainy weather.
I don't know what it is, but I can't shake this feeling.
Thoughts?

Last edited by telex_610; 11-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: I brain farted, had to write better herp derp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times
Thoughts? Yeah. Call the moving truck!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times
I love Vancouver will all my heart but I admit it has huge problems. It's way too expensive to put a roof over your head in that city. It's also incredibly class-divided.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Why not try a little further into the interior?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Why not try a little further into the interior?
I was thinking about that. Is Kelowna a really sunny place most of the year?
Never realized that the rain didn't bother me when I was younger. Now that I'm a little older it just kills me inside. If I have to take one more week of sh*tty rainy weather I'm jumping off a bridge. I don't mind cold, just put on another jacket. Anyone know if K-town is any good? Penticton?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I love Vancouver will all my heart but I admit it has huge problems. It's way too expensive to put a roof over your head in that city. It's also incredibly class-divided.
It's also incredibly racially-divided. I'm not trying to put that in a bad way, but nobody really talks to one another here. The Asians avoid white people like the plague, some arabs are rude and in their own little world. The only ones that are nice and decent to anyone else is the sikhs.
I dunno just burning gears in my head right now. I love this place, it's my home, but I think I have to shut the door and say goodbye.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
I was thinking about that. Is Kelowna a really sunny place most of the year?
Never realized that the rain didn't bother me when I was younger. Now that I'm a little older it just kills me inside. If I have to take one more week of sh*tty rainy weather I'm jumping off a bridge. I don't mind cold, just put on another jacket. Anyone know if K-town is any good? Penticton?
The Okanagan can be dark and overcast in the winter as the cloud cover gets stuck in the valley.

Why did you leave Calgary and return to Vancouver?

What you need is to spend some time down south in Arizona..with the rest of us Calgarians who tired of winter.. Theres nothing like waking up to clear blue skies....day after day after day after day after day....

Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
If it's making you miserable then you might have to accept that it was a mistake. Sometimes a person just can't go back to their old home town and expect it to be the way it was in the past.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
The Okanagan can be dark and overcast in the winter as the cloud cover gets stuck in the valley.

Why did you leave Calgary and return to Vancouver?

What you need is to spend some time down south in Arizona..with the rest of us Calgarians who tired of winter.. Theres nothing like waking up to clear blue skies....day after day after day after day after day....
I had an opportunity to come back, make more money than I did in Calgary. I jumped at the chance and didn't really factor in the math. I also had a "pulling on my heart strings" moment and missed the coast.
3 months later I think I'm kicking myself. I might have made less money per paycheque in Alberta, but after everything is said and done I'm way poorer here. The tax is atrocious, everything is more expensive and we're not even gonna touch the house situation.
I should have just thought it through more. I think I made a rash decision and looking back at Alberta I'm getting misty-eyed at what was home for 10 years.

Yeah a buddy and his brother are doing pretty well down there in Arizona. They're from Calgary, but they started a little home rental biz on the side of their day jobs. They started with one house, and now own something like 18 houses that they rent out. They're not slumlords either - they rent to good people and take care of their properties. I've been there numerous times and if I could find a way to legally live there full-time I'd be gone like right now.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 AM

393 posts, read 599,337 times
telex_610

Quote:
Short backstory: Lived In Vancouver forever, moved to Alberta for ten years, moved back 3 months ago.

This isn't the same city. I moved back 3 months ago and it just feels so weird here now, so alien. There's a feeling that this city is so bland, so cliche and so boring.
I think I made a mistake. The stupid policies of the liberal gov't, the HST(BIG F*** you for that), the mentality of some people.
HST is going back to the ridiculous GST and PST system which is a nightmare and is not cost efficient for tax payers or to businesses. If you understood the math you would see why.

Quote:
I Know I'm just rambling but I miss the business friendly environment of Alberta. I miss seeing happy families, people doing things for their community. I miss house prices that were somewhat reasonable, not somewhere in the stratosphere.
I miss seeing people actually make a living and not struggle just to
A: eat
or
B: pay for somewhere to sleep. The homelessness situation here is ten times worse than in 2002.
You do realize there are other cities within the Lower Mainland that people live quite happily in and can afford to both eat and sleep.

Quote:
I miss people actually knowing how to drive, and having synchronized lights! I miss proper roads that actually move fairly fast.
Vancouver geographically will never be the same as Calgary - situate yourself where your commute works. That should be part of your consideration of where to live.

Quote:
I miss actual winter. I never thought I would say that in a million years, but the rains kill my soul. It makes me so depressed I can't stand it. I'll take a cold, windy, snowy but SUNNY day over a warm-ish but rainy cloudy day.
Get a SAD lamp if you find yourself depressed. Take day trips to Whistler to get your fix. There is always a downside to where you live - find solutions to mitigate the issue. At least we don't get blizzards out of now where in May...see next answer to find additional ways to overcome.

Quote:
The only 2 reasons I'm considering staying is the geographic beauty of the place and the proximity to the border. When the sun actually shines it's an awe-inspiring place to live. I like having cool shopping only minutes on the other side of the line. I'll give it that. However the big drawbacks are the HST, the insane house prices, some of the people, the crime, the homelessness and the rainy weather.
I don't know what it is, but I can't shake this feeling.
Thoughts?
Have already addressed the HST...

Three months in is not long enough to acclimate to a new location - you are feeling normal homesickness that will go away. Join the local city community gym - get to know people and use the treadmills to both work off stress, and release all those "feel goof" hormones. Consider volunteering - based on your interests/causes - volunteering and giving something back sometimes does as much, or more, for the giver than the taker. Find out what is actually happening in your community, and push yourself to get out and make new friends. Take a class in something that can become a hobby. Look for things that interest you and make a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver