Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,758,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
botticelli, the term was created and is used by professionals. If you read all the comments you will see that I did say that mixed use isn't new. It is HOW it is applied in Vancouver. If it were exactly the same as other cities then they would all look like Vancouver in every respect and they don't. Here is a link about it if you care to read and learn.

Vancouverism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't care who created the term, it is downright stupid. Professionals? I am a professional and probably better traveled and educated than whoever created the laughable terminology.

Of course other cities don't look exactly like Vancouver
1) many cities don't have a small population of 600k. In many part of the world, 600k people make a small city, hardly a mid-sized one;

2) Many cities have a long history, maybe dating back to 2000 years ago, and their streets predates automobiles and can't have the strict grid Vancouver does.

Vancouver simply copied urban living somewhere else and applies in a Canadian city. It might be new to Canada, but definitely old to other parts of the world.

You constantly mention "how“ superior urban planning is Vancouver is. But exactly how besides mixed use and highrises? I didn't see any mentioning. Describe to me all the planning features and I will tell you it has existed for 500 years somewhere else.

So-called Vancouverism is only meaningful in the north America context, outside of which it is utterly, utterly meaningless.

It is like people here think a farmer's market is something so special, and stuff like Kensington Market in Toronto is always highly recommended to tourists, when in fact markets like this is how majority of people outside NA shop for groceries. They don't go to supermarkets like Safeway and Metro to buy prepackaged beef and frozen chicken. They normally buy live chicken and beef/pork with fresh blood on it. To eat frozen fish/chicken, is considered low quality of life. Frozen vegetable is practically unheard of and is probably frightening - people buy fresh vegetable and eat it on the same day, because everyone lives near a farmer's market, which is practically wherever in the cities.

People really need to experience life outside US/Canada to know more about the world before making their laughable conclusions and stupid lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,619,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't care who created the term, it is downright stupid. Professionals? I am a professional and probably better traveled and educated than whoever created the laughable terminology.

Of course other cities don't look exactly like Vancouver
1) many cities don't have a small population of 600k. In many part of the world, 600k people make a small city, hardly a mid-sized one;

2) Many cities have a long history, maybe dating back to 2000 years ago, and their streets predates automobiles and can't have the strict grid Vancouver does.

Vancouver simply copied urban living somewhere else and applies in a Canadian city. It might be new to Canada, but definitely old to other parts of the world.

You constantly mention "how“ superior urban planning is Vancouver is. But exactly how besides mixed use and highrises? I didn't see any mentioning. Describe to me all the planning features and I will tell you it has existed for 500 years somewhere else.

So-called Vancouverism is only meaningful in the north America context, outside of which it is utterly, utterly meaningless.

It is like people here think a farmer's market is something so special, and stuff like Kensington Market in Toronto is always highly recommended to tourists, when in fact markets like this is how majority of people outside NA shop for groceries. They don't go to supermarkets like Safeway and Metro to buy prepackaged beef and frozen chicken. They normally buy live chicken and beef/pork with fresh blood on it. To eat frozen fish/chicken, is considered low quality of life. Frozen vegetable is practically unheard of and is probably frightening - people buy fresh vegetable and eat it on the same day, because everyone lives near a farmer's market, which is practically wherever in the cities.

People really need to experience life outside US/Canada to know more about the world before making their laughable conclusions and stupid lists.
Keep digging that hole.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 PM

58 posts, read 159,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Tunnel? Pffff. Just jack up gas prices, add new absurd taxes and bankrupt its residents so only rich will be able to afford driving real cars.

That's the solution for ya right here. Everybody who counts will be pleased-- i.e. rich corpo-eco-fascists. Everybody else don't matter.

Do you really think monkeys running that city and province will really start real upgrades in infrastructure? 60's-70's are over and will never return.
Ok I need to say this. Of all the people who post on City-Data in the vancouver forum you are the most obnoxious I have seen.

For starters, Your English is horrendous, you keep missing words.
Next you constantly bash Vancouver, It says you live in Montreal, why do you waste so much time bashing Vancouver?

Canada Third World? Get real, do you have ANY real world experience?

People from around the world move to vancouver for a good reason, we have an extremely livable city with a great quality of life, fantastic transit, beautiful surroundings and location, fantastic waterfront access, I could go on.

You seem to make it your goal to attack my city every single time you are on here. Persuading tourists away.

Have you Ever lived here or were you just "The Tourist"?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM

218 posts, read 510,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Ok I need to say this. Of all the people who post on City-Data in the vancouver forum you are the most obnoxious I have seen.

For starters, Your English is horrendous, you keep missing words.
Next you constantly bash Vancouver, It says you live in Montreal, why do you waste so much time bashing Vancouver?

Canada Third World? Get real, do you have ANY real world experience?

People from around the world move to vancouver for a good reason, we have an extremely livable city with a great quality of life, fantastic transit, beautiful surroundings and location, fantastic waterfront access, I could go on.

You seem to make it your goal to attack my city every single time you are on here. Persuading tourists away.

Have you Ever lived here or were you just "The Tourist"?
I don't agree with your points, but I need to say this-- I come here to discuss/debate things and ideas related to subject, but not to discuss or attack users of this website. It's not what this website is for and it's definitely not worthwhile to connect my perceived personality flaws to the points presented, simply because you can't know me well enough from here.

Don't like what I say-- prove I'm wrong in a better way instead of talking about my English and other things you seem to misunderstand or not sure about.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 PM

174 posts, read 333,417 times
lol @ OP. What about our nasty bike lanes...

Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 801 times
By importing cute, short Asian girls they keep the local population happy. Best answer in this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver