Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:10 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,600,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Canada doesn't have an economy period to be fair. Vancouver has no economy outside of real estate. But do me a favour and tell me what Companies known outside of canada that are from canada you can think of outside of RIM/Blackberry.

This country is a backwater. We are doomed to mediocrity.
Canada is a top 10 economy in the world. It is not the biggest or most global but it exists and is solid. You don't have to have multinationals to have a strong economy. Don't take me wrong, it would be nice if Canadian companies were more globally successfully in order to generate more wealth and improve our productivity but the status quo doesn't prevent the country from generating high living standards. Lululemon, Four Seasons (foreign owned now), Brookfield Asset Management (real estate and infrastructure) and Barrick Gold (biggest gold miner) are successful companies with a global reach that started out of Canada so it does happen.

Vancouver has an economy too, albeit a smaller one focus on resources, tourism, and shipping. Smaller than Portland and much smaller than Seattle, which is much more industrialized from an economic perspective that the other two.

With respect to the OP, the problem with saying that Vancouver is affordable excluding real estate and the like is because when you get your pay cheque, you spend the "after tax" amount on real estate, groceries, cars, entertainment, etc. That is reality for most people. It is also a reality that most people in our society settle down with a family at some point and don't want to be a renter forever. That, combined with the fact that Vancouver has fewer career options that pay lower wages makes the city even less affordable, not unlivable mind you, but just less livable compared to the status quo situation for many.

For e.g., why would someone making $80k at year in Toronto or Seattle with a wife and family on the way move to Vancouver to make $60k with more expensive real estate and other costs, and less opportunity to move up the corporate ranks over time. Vancouver is prettier and offers more a natural setting but it's still a tough pill to swallow from a practical standpoint given the demands of life. I think we have to look at it from this middle class perspective, not the perspective of the working poor like many will always defer to.

Now if one didn't care about having a home or accumulating wealth, and just wanted a laid back lifestyle in a beautiful location by the coast then of course one can make living in Vancouver a reality. I would agree with the OP on this. People move from mansions to shoe boxes to live in New York and Paris because they want to be there for socioeconomic opportunities that don't exist anywhere else to the same degree. So while I agree that one can live in Vancouver if they really wanted to, the reality for most people is that there are trades offs that most people are not willing to make. And in the end, I think the high cost of living hurts Vancouver from reaching its full potential because the cost to set up a business and attracting top talent becomes a hurdle.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-26-2014 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
this show that Vancouver is more than 20% more expensive:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Consumer Prices in Portland, OR are 24.28% lower than in Vancouver
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Portland, OR are 23.81% lower than in Vancouver
Rent Prices in Portland, OR are 22.87% lower than in Vancouver
Restaurant Prices in Portland, OR are 19.66% lower than in Vancouver
Groceries Prices in Portland, OR are 32.47% lower than in Vancouver
Local Purchasing Power in Portland, OR is 22.24% higher than in Vancouver

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Canada doesn't have an economy period to be fair. Vancouver has no economy outside of real estate. But do me a favour and tell me what Companies known outside of canada that are from canada you can think of outside of RIM/Blackberry.

This country is a backwater. We are doomed to mediocrity.
No economy outside of real estate in Vancouver? Simply wrong.

Canadian companies known outside of Canada is different than Canadian companies outside of Canada. Many Canadian companies outside of Canada are oil, mining and energy companies.

Companies the average Joe might know albeit mostly in the U.S. are TD ( Toronto Dominion ), Tim Hortons,
Bombardier, Four Seasons Hotels, lululemon, and Mccain Foods.

McCain Foods Global Sites

There are many more I'm sure. Just because we don't have an Apple or a General Motors doesn't mean Canadian companies don't exist outside of Canada.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No economy outside of real estate in Vancouver? Simply wrong.

Canadian companies known outside of Canada is different than Canadian companies outside of Canada. Many Canadian companies outside of Canada are oil, mining and energy companies.

Companies the average Joe might know albeit mostly in the U.S. are TD ( Toronto Dominion ), Tim Hortons, Bombardier, Four Seasons Hotels, lululemon, and Mccain Foods.

McCain Foods Global Sites

There are many more I'm sure. Just because we don't have an Apple or a General Motors doesn't mean Canadian companies don't exist outside of Canada.
I will add SNC which is one of the world's largest engineering compaines
AECL is one of the leaders in terms of nuclear technology.

It is unfortunate we don't have a famous car brand although being one of the largest manufacture centre, but it is a declining industry anyway. In terms of technology, it is the playfield of US and a couple of Asian countries. Canada doesn't seem to be able to create such ideas.

McCain is too small. Its annual revenue is 5-6% of Nestle (and Switzerland has a population of Quebec only). Tim Hortons is hardly know outside Canda and a few American states, not a big deal.

We can't deny Vancouver's economy is pretty pathetic considering its size and reputation. They have real estate, tourism, some mining and shipping... is the best our third largest city can do? Wikipedia can hardly fill half of webpage talking Vancouver's economy.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

It is unfortunate we don't have a famous car brand although being one of the largest manufacture centre, but it is a declining industry anyway. In terms of technology, it is the playfield of US and a couple of Asian countries. Canada doesn't seem to be able to create such ideas.

McCain is too small. Its annual revenue is 5-6% of Nestle (and Switzerland has a population of Quebec only). Tim Hortons is hardly know outside Canda and a few American states, not a big deal.

We can't deny Vancouver's economy is pretty pathetic considering its size and reputation. They have real estate, tourism, some mining and shipping... is the best our third largest city can do? Wikipedia can hardly fill half of webpage talking Vancouver's economy.
Agreed.

Canada is a country of exporters, not builders.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Pathetic? No.

Vancouver - Invest in Canada

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/ab...toverview.aspx

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en...sandstats.aspx

Old 02-26-2014, 03:50 PM

174 posts, read 332,815 times
In regards to economy, I find that here in Vancouver we have a lot of very intelligent people - the unfortunate part is Vancouver doesn't have the resources/companies to help foster growth in them. Which is why many consider moving elsewhere to grow their careers.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
In regards to economy, I find that here in Vancouver we have a lot of very intelligent people - the unfortunate part is Vancouver doesn't have the resources/companies to help foster growth in them. Which is why many consider moving elsewhere to grow their careers.
this is exactly why I came to Toronto.
Vancouver has no jobs. The whole world knows that.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
the government links again... what's your point? It is government Canada's website, do you expect it to say "our third largest city has few decent jobs but sky high housing prices??"

If you visit City of St Louis' website, I am sure they have a lot nice things to say too.

What about provide some sort of ranking where it says Vancouver is one of the largest business centers in the world? (whether it is finance, or technology, or energy, or fashion, whatever). Vancouver simply doesn't function as a city attractive to career oriented professionals. Isn't that a fact?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
the government links again... what's your point? It is government Canada's website, do you expect it to say "our third largest city has few decent jobs but sky high housing prices??"

If you visit City of St Louis' website, I am sure they have a lot nice things to say too.

What about provide some sort of ranking where it says Vancouver is one of the largest business centers in the world? (whether it is finance, or technology, or energy, or fashion, whatever). Vancouver simply doesn't function as a city attractive to career oriented professionals. Isn't that a fact?
Depends on your career. The idea that Vancouver's economy is non existent or pathetic is patently ridiculous.
It just seems to beyond some people ability to realize that somehow, some way, over 2 million people live and work in Vancouver.
This is JUST about advancing careers, it's answering those who say Vancouver has no economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver