Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:06 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times

Advertisements

Looks like Vancouver is the sushi capital of North America

Vancouver may be sushi capital of North America | Vancouver Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
LA might be a contender too. Most Japanese Americans...had some great Japanese food in Little Tokyo.

There are way too many sushi places here in Melbourne, many not good, and many also run by Koreans and Chinese. I don't mind sushi but it's not something I go crazy about.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 AM

173 posts, read 256,967 times
I agree...sushi is just okay.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:56 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Do Vancouverites still think Sushi is what the Japanese normally eat for daily meals?

The Japanese rarely eat Sushi while north american hosers who have never ventured outside their continent firmly believe sushi=japanese food.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Do Vancouverites still think Sushi is what the Japanese normally eat for daily meals?

The Japanese rarely eat Sushi while north american hosers who have never ventured outside their continent firmly believe sushi=japanese food.
Vancouverites do NOT think that. Vancouverites are quite well versed in Asian cuisine, with many other types of Japanese restaurants in Vancouver, besides Sushi places.
Many of us have been to Japan, it's only a 9.5 hour flight,( same as Europe ) and some of us who haven't, like myself, have made Japanese friends who have come to Vancouver to learn English.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-25-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 AM

354 posts, read 682,195 times
The last time I was in Vancouver (a couple of years back), ramen and big izakaya were quite popular. It has actually been like that the last couple of times I visited as well. Though my friend brought us to some yoshoku cafes which were pretty great I thougt.

I have always noticed that there is a large number of sushi restaurants even compared to other cities in west coast. Some of the more authentic ones too, similar to LA and NYC. I thought it has something to do with the quality and quantity of salmon there.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 13,541 times
I'm willing to bet that 98% of those sushi places in the "sushi capital" of North America (geez) are either Chinese or Korean owned. It's usually a majority of the major cities in North America, but I did notice a higher proportion compared to other major cities when I lived out there.

If Vancouverites (I note that the poster did not say some) are "quite well versed in Asian cuisine" then I wonder why BC and Vancouver natives that I knew referred me to Ebisu as the best sushi for price, yet a lot of the sushi I had there was sprayed with some sauce like typical Americanized-sushi. Yeah heh, "quite well versed".

I'm not surprised the article came from the ever so biased Vancouver Sun, but seriously as long as Los Angeles and San Francisco exists, there's no discussion for Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
LA might be a contender too. Most Japanese Americans...had some great Japanese food in Little Tokyo.
There's some good sushi stops and a couple of decent general Japanese food shops in Little Tokyo, but most Japanese people (both American and expats) usually go to Gardena, Torrance or Costa Mesa in Orange County to get their Japanese food fix. That's where it's all about.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 AM

354 posts, read 682,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planexcvs View Post
I'm willing to bet that 98% of those sushi places in the "sushi capital" of North America (geez) are either Chinese or Korean owned. It's usually a majority of the major cities in North America, but I did notice a higher proportion compared to other major cities when I lived out there.
I think that is a worldwide phenomena. Same when I visited Australia. Even here in Europe most are run by Chinese immigrants. I guess there're aren't too many Japanese emigrants except for the few west coast cities in North America and Hawaii.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Sushi is overrated. Not only is it not an important food in Japan, it is also mass produced in most restaurants just like sandwich wraps. Some fish, seaweed wrapped in rice, volia, sushi is done, big deal. It is not like it involves sophisticated cooking skills.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
There are plenty of Japanese restaurants that are run by Japanese in Vancouver.

Hime Sushi - Broadway

Sushi Zero One - Japanese's Favorite Japanese Cuisine Restaurant

dan japanese restaurant-vancouver,bc,canada

Vancouver Japanese Restaurant - Kaide -

Japanese Restaurant, Sushi, bistro, sushi bistro, Japanese Food,

Guu Izakaya - The Pioneer of Izakaya in Vancouver, Toronto

and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver