Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 AM

71 posts, read 743,444 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, 21 year old college student from New York City here. I've been living here all my life and I got to say while it is an experience it is also very overrated. I'm leaning towards a more relaxed environment and was wondering what you guys think. I am 21 about to get my Bachelors in Marketing and am 1/2 Vietnamese 1/4 Japanese and 1/4 Taiwanese.

One of the main reasons I want to leave the States is because everyone here bases their success on their income. Another reason is because a lot of the people here (at least the ones that I know are very ignorant and don't know anything regarding current events and such.. I was wondering what geographical area would most suit me? and would it be a bad idea to move to Canada considering the high taxes and such? Thanks much! =)

Oh and one more question, since I am going to have almost no friends, just how friendly are people in Canada? Thanks!

Last edited by id3ntidycrisis; 06-26-2008 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:04 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,251 times
Sounds like you'd love Vancouver. I grew up in Edmonton and it's a great city but I was gonna say one of the things you might definately prefer about Vancouver is the weather is a lot milder than Edmonton but then again coming from NY I'm sure you guys get some wicked winters too!!
As far as friendly; again coming from NY I'm sure you'd find the people in Canada very friendly and I'm sure you'd have no trouble making friends.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:41 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id3ntidycrisis View Post
Hey everyone, 21 year old college student from New York City here. I've been living here all my life and I got to say while it is an experience it is also very overrated. I'm leaning towards a more relaxed environment and was wondering what you guys think. I am 21 about to get my Bachelors in Marketing and am 1/2 Vietnamese 1/4 Japanese and 1/4 Taiwanese.

One of the main reasons I want to leave the States is because everyone here bases their success on their income. Another reason is because a lot of the people here (at least the ones that I know are very ignorant and don't know anything regarding current events and such.. I was wondering what geographical area would most suit me? and would it be a bad idea to move to Canada considering the high taxes and such? Thanks much! =)

Oh and one more question, since I am going to have almost no friends, just how friendly are people in Canada? Thanks!
I agree that a lot of people do base success on income, and I'm not sure about your culture, but I have friends whose families are from China and Hong Kong and with them it's like their families are never satisfied. They live NYC actually. Right now my friend from China is fighting her parents b/c 1) She has a Bachelor's in Marketing and they expect her to make $60,000 a year right out of college and 2) They are trying to arrange a marriage for her (which she does not want). Some of my other friends are very brilliant, social, and are doing a lot better than most people yet their parents still call them failures b/c they are not doing what their parents want them to do. It might not be that way for you though, and there are still some of these pressures even in Vancouver (I have a friend from Hong Kong that lives there). But it might be different for you though b/c he still lives with his family.

I don't know a lot about Vancouver, but if you want to talk to people that know a lot about current events Toronto is pretty cool as well. I went up there and I was shocked at how much they knew, especially about American economics and politics! I was talking to people on my level and beyond! Their news is also less bias than our news (Fox vs CNN has got to stop)! I have a couple of friends in Vancouver, and while I haven't talked to them about too many current event issues, they seemed pretty friendly. I think you would like it there and I know I'll definitely be paying a couple of occasional visits to Vancouver from Seattle. I'm a 22 year old living in the South right now and I just graduated with a Bachelors in Communication and will hopefully work on a Masters in Integrated Marketing Communications soon and seriously it's hard for me to get people here to talk about current events.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 PM

164 posts, read 607,127 times
Canada is actually regionally diverse - it's not really a country, but a collection of regions that exist in their own world.

Vancouver is very similar to Seattle culturally and politically. Practically twin cities and only 3 hours drive apart - both wealthy, clean and liberal cities with a population that puts a premium on outdoors and active lifestyles (skiing, hiking, yoga, biking, other sports, etc.) than most cities in North America. Just like the US west coast, Vancouver (and the southwestern BC coast) are the most socially liberal parts of Canada.

Calgary and Edmonton (in Alberta) are like colder versions of Texas - it's the most socially conservative part of Canada and is very much like a "red state". Small towns in Alberta do feel like Bible Belt country. The whole province is fueled by the oil industry, and culturally has more in common with the US Midwest and Texas than it does with any other part of Canada.

Saskatchewan and Manitoba are like Canada's version of the Dakotas - it's prairieland both culturally and economically.

Toronto likes to think of themselves like NY, but they are more like Chicago - a big, relatively orderly and polite city. It feels like any big American city - with all its charms (cosmopolitan, diversity) and its problems (crime, pollution, congestion). It's the center of Canadian business, economy, media, etc.

Montreal is truly unique in North America, actually the whole province of Quebec is unique - it's mostly French speaking, and feels like a mix of Europe and North America. You can get by speaking English as a tourist, but it'll be harder to really feel like a resident unless you can speak French.

The maritimes (PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick) also are very unique - nothing like it anywhere. Strong local roots of people who have been there for generations. Not particularly diverse, but incredibly friendly, open and hospitable people.

And Newfoundland is like it's own world. It feels like Scotland in an alternate universe culturally - nothing like it anywhere in North America.

Can't really say that Canadians are less or more money-oriented or more informed/more ignorant than Americans. It just depends what part of the country you're talking about. I wouldn't say small town Canada is any more informed or ignorant than small town USA. And the big Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary) are as full of shallow people as you would find in LA, New York, Chicago or San Francisco.

Canadians though tend to be a little more socially liberal than Americans, but if you're coming from the "blue states" on the coast like NY, MA, CA, WA, etc you may not really notice a huge difference.

Another way to put it is that if Canada were part of the US, they would be a Democrat stronghold (except for Alberta, which would be heavily Republican).

Same with level of friendliness - in small towns, you'll find everyone incredibly friendly but perhaps not particularly well informed or diverse. In the big cities like Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, you will find that the people aren't that much friendlier or rude than any big US city.

As for taxes, Canada's won't be much higher than what you'd be accustomed to in New York, especially if you live in New York City. It's around 20-45% all-in for most working people.

If you're looking for diversity, Toronto will be your best bet as it will have the largest mix of all kinds of people, literally from all around the world. Lots of Asians, Carribean (black), Middle Eastern, Hispanic, etc. Even the caucasians highly identify with their heritage - large numbers of Italians, Greeks, Jews, etc.

Montreal is also diverse, but it's primarily French-speaking (other than caucasians, you'll have vietnamese, Haitian, and other french-speaking minorities).

Vancouver isn't as diverse, but its got the largest Asian and Indian community - in some places they are the majority. The Asians themselves are very diverse - some are fresh off the boat immigrants, others were born there, and from many parts of Asia, although most are Chinese or Korean. But still lots of Filipinos, Vietnamese, and tons of Japanese exchange students. It's also a younger city than Toronto or Montreal - lots and lots of people in their 20s.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:41 AM

71 posts, read 743,444 times
Thanks I'll continue to research this change. Would any of you happen to know how the job market for marketing is too? and is it true everyone gets free premium health care coverage too?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:25 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,901,380 times
Quote:
Thanks I'll continue to research this change. Would any of you happen to know how the job market for marketing is too? and is it true everyone gets free premium health care coverage too?

I had to pay get my eye exams, trips to the dentist etc. my parents are private practicing surgeons, not everything is covered

Old 06-29-2008, 12:11 PM

315 posts, read 1,625,278 times
Quote:
One of the main reasons I want to leave the States is because everyone here bases their success on their income.
You will find this is virtually any developed country! How you define success is the only thing that matters. If you move to another country in an attempt to escape a materialistic society, you will end up very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle View Post
As for taxes, Canada's won't be much higher than what you'd be accustomed to in New York, especially if you live in New York City. It's around 20-45% all-in for most working people.
While income taxes may just be marginally higher in most Canadian provinces, all the other taxes will add up quick. Sales taxes in most parts of New York are 8%. GST and PST in British Columbia are a combined 12%. Add in higher fuel taxes, liquor taxes, and just about anything else you can think of and the difference really starts to show.

Quote:
is it true everyone gets free premium health care coverage too?
Nothing is free in life and that includes health coverage. All the residents of Canada fund the health systems through taxes. the more you make, the more you pay in.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:05 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,901,380 times
Quote:

frogot to say BC and ontario have premium health care plans called msp plans, BC costs more. they apply if you're over 25

everything in sicko isnt exactly accurate. Im in healthcare in canada myself

Old 12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
ck9

71 posts, read 124,205 times
[quote=id3ntidycrisis;4236129]

One of the main reasons I want to leave the States is because everyone here bases their success on their income.
no one in vancouver would ever do that(pfffft yeah right )

Old 12-08-2008, 05:47 PM
ck9

71 posts, read 124,205 times
no one in vancouver would ever do that (pffft)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver